Vientienne Visa Run

My Visa on Arrival stamp is issued until the 14th of July. I'm planning on flying to Udon Thani on the 14th around 2pm or 3pm in the afternoon(whenever that daily flight runs). I'd like to get across the border on that day but I imagine it will be around 5pm or 6pm when I make it to the crossing to get my Laos Visa. Are they still open at this time? Is it a 24 hour thing?

I can always fly sooner if need be but this is my current plan baring that they are open late. Let me know. Thanks.

I went years ago as a newbie and got stung by everyone from the tuk tuks to the immigration people. If you haven't been before you should get some help i.e a more expericed friend or a visa run company before you go.

I've been there before and know the deal. The last time I went though I got to the border in the morning. My OP is more on the topic on the hours of operation of the immigration police at that border. If I do fly I'll be arriving at the Udon Thani airport around 3pm in the afternoon. Just want to make sure the border will be open in the late afternoon for me to cross. I'll need to apply for a Laos Visa at the border too.

I went years ago as a newbie and got stung by everyone from the tuk tuks to the immigration people. If you haven't been before you should get some help i.e a more expericed friend or a visa run company before you go.

I've been there before and know the deal. The last time I went though I got to the border in the morning. My OP is more on the topic on the hours of operation of the immigration police at that border. If I do fly I'll be arriving at the Udon Thani airport around 3pm in the afternoon. Just want to make sure the border will be open in the late afternoon for me to cross. I'll need to apply for a Laos Visa at the border too.

I see. Well let us know how it all goes :o

I see. Well let us know how it all goes :o

Here's a link for phone number and email address, might try calling so you know first hand.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=esarn

My Visa on Arrival stamp is issued until the 14th of July. I'm planning on flying to Udon Thani on the 14th around 2pm or 3pm in the afternoon(whenever that daily flight runs). I'd like to get across the border on that day but I imagine it will be around 5pm or 6pm when I make it to the crossing to get my Laos Visa. Are they still open at this time? Is it a 24 hour thing?

I can always fly sooner if need be but this is my current plan baring that they are open late. Let me know. Thanks.

you say you here on voa, you getting 30 day stamp or embassy?

well whatever, 14th of this month is a saturday, so you might bee as well to come forward with ya dates, and udon flights, just get an earlier one cos any flight delay gonna set you back a day!

best of mate!

If you arrive in Udon at 3pm,plenty of time,take the international bus at the Airport,about 1 1/2 hour to Vientiane.

Remember the overtime payment,1$ for the Visa,20 Baht extra for entry!

Of course if you need to visit the Thai Embassy,you'll have to wait till Monday.

Good trip! :o

It is all easy as pie. When you get to Udorn go into the arrival hall and buy a shuttle ticket to the friendship bridge for 150 Baht. It will take you about an hour to get to the bridge. From there exit Thailand and then take a 15 baht bus over the bridge. Next it is Lao immigration. The Lao vis costs different prices for different nationalities. USA passport holders pay 35 dollars. Add an extra dollar if you are coming on the weekend. You will need another 10 Baht to pay the Lao for reason unkonwn to me. From there turn around and do the process all over again. the bridge is open until 10PM I believe. Don't quote me on that one but I believe it is. i do know for sure it is open until 8PM.

Hope this helps.

If you arrive in Udon at 3pm,plenty of time,take the international bus at the Airport,about 1 1/2 hour to Vientiane.

Of course if you need to visit the Thai Embassy,you'll have to wait till Monday.

Tickets for the International Bus are only available for passenger who already have a visa!

Tickets for the International Bus are only available for passenger who already have a visa!

I'm sorry if giving a wrong information. :D

The international bus to Laos that depart from the Udon bus station doesn't require a Visa in advance,they wait at Lao Immigration to let you buy the Visa.That's my personal experience! :D

The international bus to Laos that depart from the Udon bus station doesn't require a Visa in advance,they wait at Lao Immigration to let you buy the Visa.That's my personal experience! :D

This is definitely WRONG! You MUST have a visa to use the international bus! I was there in December and May. The visa procedure at the Lao border takes quite some time. You have to queue for a form, fill in in the form (no pens!), queue again to hand in the form, and then wait till your name is called to get your stamped passport back.

After that you have to queue again to have your passport stamped. All in all it takes more or less half an hour (depending on how busy it is). Falangs with visas, people from Asean countries and Laos only have to get their passports stamped and then hop on the bus.

Besides, there is even a large sign over the ticket window in Udon that says that tickets are only available to people with visa!

Edited by sosisbesar

This is definitely WRONG! You MUST have a visa to use the international bus! I was there in December and May. The visa procedure at the Lao border takes quite some time. You have to queue for a form, fill in in the form (no pens!), queue again to hand in the form, and then wait till your name is called to get your stamped passport back.

!)Form, photo,35(36)$,ready,no sweat.

After that you have to queue again to have your passport stamped. All in all it takes more or less half an hour (depending on how busy it is). Falangs with visas, people from Asean countries and Laos only have to get their passports stamped and then hop on the bus.

2)Passport stamp,5 min?

Besides, there is even a large sign over the ticket window in Udon that says that tickets are only available to people with visa!

3)Apologise,if this seems simple as it is;I said already this is ONLY MY PERSONAL experience,don't want Lopburi flaming me again!

4)If you feel better buying a Lao Visa in advance,by all means do it! :D

Greetings

The visa procedure at the friendship bridge is quite easy. I have done this serveral times, and not once there was a queue. I usually enter around 3 PM (arriving in Udon with nok, then take the bus from the airport to the bridge). It's dead easy, you go to the window, get a form, fill in the form, hand over passport, form and 1550 baht (1500 for visa, 50 photo fee, since I never have a photo), wait a few minutes, window opens again, get passport, get stamp, pay 20 baht)

I usually am the only farang at that time. I still don't see the advantage of the bus for Udon Thani straight to Vientiane, indeed you need a visa beforehand, since the bus won't wait at the border, so even if you can get on it, you will see it drive away after a few minutes without you.

Getting the visa beforehand involves far more time, at least one hour and an additional 200 baht at the embassy, never mind the time it takes to get to the embasssy and back.