Australian teen on ko tao. What happened?

Not seen anything about an Australian on Koh Tao.

It's a shame I spent many many months there between 1999-2005 

Missed sitting in restaurants watching movies on big tvs before the days of the mobile phones .

A lot changed on koh Tao .

It was once my paradise but since going back last year it still is the same Koh Tao but the charm has left the island.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CecilM said:

Have not seen any news articles about an Aussie teen on Koh Tao. What’s the story?

I would imagine it's this one.

Aussie teen’s suspicious death in Thailand fuels family’s heartfelt repatriation quest

Daniel Talbot tragically passed away on Sunday while allegedly on Koh Tao, an island located on the eastern side of the Surat Thani coastline. The details surrounding the 19 year old’s death in Thailand remain elusive

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marin said:

I could never understand the travelers who did this. Go halfway around the world to an island paradise and watch old action movies in a restaurant at night. Silly to me. 

I can relate to a small degree. After many weeks backpacking throughout China in the mid 90s, we were thrilled to see something from home (“Friends,” which I hated then and still do). But that was after many weeks of strenuous backpacking only.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Not seen anything about an Australian on Koh Tao.

It's a shame I spent many many months there between 1999-2005 

Missed sitting in restaurants watching movies on big tvs before the days of the mobile phones .

A lot changed on koh Tao .

It was once my paradise but since going back last year it still is the same Koh Tao but the charm has left the island.

I found the same thing about Pattaya in 1983.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:47 AM, morrobay said:

So any update on the circumstances of what happened to the Australian teen on ko tao ???. Unbelievable,! 

I assumed that in the above context that unbelievable would obviously apply to the fact that there is no information on the circumstances of what happened. And that was almost a week ago. So it's even more unbelievable now. I mean what ** is going on here,? 

• Like 1

Was he even on Ko Tao at the time of his death? - the news reports suggested he was 'allegedly' there.  There's been a lack of any further news coverage.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson said: “The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing consular assistance to the family of an Australian who died in Phuket.

“The Department extends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of the Australian. Owing to our privacy obligations we cannot provide further comment.”

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1