Sierra Wireless Aircard Screwing Up

Entrep

I already posted this in the internet forum, but got no response... I figure it could be a local overloading or something problem here so...

I have had the CAT wireless aircard for about 8 weeks now, and for the first 6 it was awesome.

Lately the HTTP only seems to be screwing up though. Randomly IE and Firefox will stop loading pages, but FTP and Outlook etc all still work! It has usually only been for 5 minutes or so maybe two times a day, but last night it was for like 8 hours all night!

I thought it was the DNS settings I had at first, but could still ping domains using the command prompt, so I don't know... I do spyware checks and all that and there is nothing. It just sits there on "waiting for xxxxxxx.com to load"

No one else is posting this, so I presume its just me... also the fact that email and FTP etc still work 100% is very weird. Any ideas on what the problem could be, it sounds like DNS but I dont think it is... I live in Phuket.

I already posted this in the internet forum, but got no response... I figure it could be a local overloading or something problem here so...
I have had the CAT wireless aircard for about 8 weeks now, and for the first 6 it was awesome.

Lately the HTTP only seems to be screwing up though. Randomly IE and Firefox will stop loading pages, but FTP and Outlook etc all still work! It has usually only been for 5 minutes or so maybe two times a day, but last night it was for like 8 hours all night!

I thought it was the DNS settings I had at first, but could still ping domains using the command prompt, so I don't know... I do spyware checks and all that and there is nothing. It just sits there on "waiting for xxxxxxx.com to load"

No one else is posting this, so I presume its just me... also the fact that email and FTP etc still work 100% is very weird. Any ideas on what the problem could be, it sounds like DNS but I dont think it is... I live in Phuket.

Hmmmm... sounds very weird - I agree. I've had it for 9 months or so with no problem as you describe. My suggestions/guesses in increasing order of nonsense:

1. Remove the card properly (close the software program and then "Safely remove Lucent ... driver..." from the green arrrow icon for removable devices in the system tray). Then plug it back in and try it.

2. Do the same as in (1) and then reboot Windows.

3. I'm not familiar with the ISPs here but maybe it's an unadvertised policy to cap HTTP activity if you've exceeded a certain threshold of upload & download capacity.

4. You're getting hit with a Denial of Service attack. To be a super-conspiracy theorist, if you are trying to access banned sites then TOT might be pounding you back and rendering your browsing kaput for awhile.

You seem pretty computer-literate - I would download the free Wireshark program (formerly Ethereal) from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html, start it up to capture your comms traffic when the problem reappears, save the session, and then see if it's because your comms channel is being flooded -or- if your drivers are dead or screwed up on your system and really not sending out any HTTP requests.

If you are using Vista then good luck and - to say this as nice as possible - you deserve what you are getting :-)

Hope this helps,

Iggy

I've the same Sierra 580 aircard on Cat telecoms CDMA EV-DO, 1x network here in Thalang, Phuket.

I frequently experience the exact same problems that you are describing ...and the other night no web pages would download for several hours, despite the fact that torrents and Thunderbird ( my replacement for outlook Express) continued to work....I think you'll have to live with the problem.

As a matter of interest have you paid anything for the service? I keep asking for a bill, but they just keep telling me they haven't got round to sorting out the billing facility yet....I've had it for over 4 months now for free!

geoffphuket

Hi Guys!

I have had the card for over 9 months too, and still haven't paid a cent! I did get a letter from CAT about six months ago, that they would not charge a monthly fee yet. Well, it's been six months and still not a word! Jippy, I say! I'm not complaining...  Considering I paid 15 000Baht for the card, I kind of feel I'm getting some of that back.

Secondly, I too have had the exact same problem. the line is there, download and FTP works just fine, but webpages just don't. I think mabe this is one of the reasons we aren't paying anything yet.

That, and the problem with the line loosing it's connection every once in a while.

Thirdly, is anyone else downloading torrent files, using the Sierra Wireless 580?

How do you go about not being able to get a static IP adress? The download/upload, would increase dramaticly if that was possible. Anyone fould a way around this? Or how did you deal with this problem?

Thanks alot! :o

Kathu

Hi Guys!

I have had the card for over 9 months too, and still haven't paid a cent! I did get a letter from CAT about six months ago, that they would not charge a monthly fee yet. Well, it's been six months and still not a word! Jippy, I say! I'm not complaining... Considering I paid 15 000Baht for the card, I kind of feel I'm getting some of that back.

Secondly, I too have had the exact same problem. the line is there, download and FTP works just fine, but webpages just don't. I think mabe this is one of the reasons we aren't paying anything yet.

That, and the problem with the line loosing it's connection every once in a while.

Thirdly, is anyone else downloading torrent files, using the Sierra Wireless 580?

How do you go about not being able to get a static IP adress? The download/upload, would increase dramaticly if that was possible. Anyone fould a way around this? Or how did you deal with this problem?

Thanks alot! :D

Kathu

I tackled this problem in another thread a couple of months back. Sorry to say the outcome was that it's not possible to open (forward) ports, or get a static I.P address....forget bittorent or any similar program, we're stuck with very limited download speeds :o

We both reached the same conclution...

Too bad.

Thanks for your quick reply!

:o

Just a note about the connection being dropped. If you haven' already, set up your machine to connect automatically to the internet. Save's a few clicks of the mouse and you don't even need the aircard 'watcher' running, it'll reconnect the line in flash

Thanks for all the great replies - glad I am not alone.

I have rang CAT and they didn't know anything, they suggested the network was getting overloaded.

The Wireshark program sounds interesting - I will give it a shot. Otherwise I have tried everything else.

AFAIK everything in Thailand runs through proxies at the ISP's , so they can block stuff, and I reckon it is these proxies that are screwing up every so often.

Also, I haven't paid anything for the service yet either, I've only had it like 8 weeks though.

Lastly, for the last reply, I can get 100 kb/s multithreading HTTP downloads.

Have had my card for about 4 months now. For the first 2 months, it was great - no connection problems, and good download speeds, averaging about 400KBS. Speed has gradually gone downhill since then, as I suspect more subscribers are being added daily. Can't really complain though, as I've never been sent a bill for the service. I wonder if CAT is testing to see what the optimal subscriber load is (acceptable service speed versus infrastructure cost) before they start charging.

I've been experiencing the same intermittant web page outages as others. In my case, ping seems to work fine, however pages from the same site will not load. Sometimes this outage lasts a few minutes, and sometimes several hours. My guess is that there are intermittant proxy server problems at CAT.

Hi Guys

Any know if Cat card works in Kata, Patak rd not far from PTT service station, thx

What are you guys download speed?, thx again.

Not sure if the aircard would work in your location. However, if you call in to the CDMA office in Phuket town, next to the Cat Telecom office, The Thai man working there is a real expert on the subject - he seems to know precisely how strong the signal is just about anywhere on Phuket. Additionally to this, if you buy the aircard (now 12,990 Baht) early in the morning, providing you take it back before 2.00pm the same day, they'll refund your money if it doesn't work....And don't forget, for now, the service is free - 590Baht/month when they get around to it.

If the signal is strong, on a good you can expect a 400-900kbps connection - 50Kb-112Kbs transfer rate. Download is somewhat disappointing averaging about 30-50Kbps....Skype works but not well.

Hope this helps

geoffphuket

Same here

I have 2 cards for 2 laptops since last december

Worked fine since 1 month where i get the same problem as described ( ping still working fine, outlook working, skype and mesenger as well but no internet access)+ some cut sometimes ( never a cut before and my PC's are always ON)

I notice that i could reached thai web site during the problem ( i coulsdaccess to siam bank) but no international.

I first thought that as i have never pay for internet that they where slowing me :o but i never received any invoice ( was suposed to be charged starting first of may)

Too many subscribers now i suppose

Same here

I have 2 cards for 2 laptops since last december

Worked fine since 1 month where i get the same problem as described ( ping still working fine, outlook working, skype and mesenger as well but no internet access)+ some cut sometimes ( never a cut before and my PC's are always ON)

I notice that i could reached thai web site during the problem ( i coulsdaccess to siam bank) but no international.

I first thought that as i have never pay for internet that they where slowing me :D but i never received any invoice ( was suposed to be charged starting first of may)

Too many subscribers now i suppose

Hmmm..... it's kinda difficult complaining when you're not paying for the service eh. I guess that's why were all putting up with the problems :o

I went into the office about a month ago to tell them i changed my address.

While i was there, i said, oh yeah, i haven't recieved a bill yet and i've had the service since March.

They said: "free until June 30"

Well, of course June 30th has come an gone but still no bill.

Now i don't have a problem with that but will we get a HUGE bill somday?

ps. my service is very sporatic also.

I had the card for quite a while now, too and so far also did not get any bills, very nice :o

Same story here. No bills since 7 months now. Since about 2 weeks ago my wife can open sites no problem , can read my yahoo email but shae can't send anything out.

• 1 month later...
I had the card for quite a while now, too and so far also did not get any bills, very nice :D

Same story here. No bills since 7 months now. Since about 2 weeks ago my wife can open sites no problem , can read my yahoo email but shae can't send anything out.

I've just rec'd an SMS from CAT informing me that the free period's ended as of the 1st Aug......Oh well, on the upside, at least I can now complain about the erratic and unreliable service without feeling guilty :o

geoffphuket

I've just rec'd an SMS from CAT informing me that the free period's ended as of the 1st Aug......Oh well, on the upside, at least I can now complain about the erratic and unreliable service without feeling guilty :o

geoffphuket

How much are you being charged for this service GP. This is the 'aircard' I think they call it? .... you do not need a house phone yes?

geoffphuket

How much are you being charged for this service GP. This is the 'aircard' I think they call it? .... you do not need a house phone yes?

I called into the CAT office in Phuket town today to enquire about paying for my CDMA service. The very nice young lady advised me they've another free promotion, so I won't receive a bill now until the end of next month...that'll give me about 8 months free. Apparently they now have two tariffs to chose from: 590 Baht/month for 20 hours or 790 Baht unlimited - aircard or fixed wireless terminal. The new leaflet also states that the service provides 2.4Mbps which I find incredible as the driver software limits the speed to 921.6Kbps....which can on a good day, and if the wind is in the right direction, be achieved !

geoffphuket

• 6 months later...
HI

I have the cat usb card, works fine in Nai Harn

thanks!

Speed Sat. 15.30

Speed Test #46894976 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-03-01 03:30:10 EST

Download: 493 (Kbps)

Upload: 88 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 60.2 down 10.8 up

Tested by server: 55 java

User: 2 @ dslreports.com

User's DNS: cdpm1.com

This is Thai visa speed test

Download Speed: 1531 kbps (191.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 94 kbps (11.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

As a matter of interest have you paid anything for the service? I keep asking for a bill, but they just keep telling me they haven't got round to sorting out the billing facility yet....I've had it for over 4 months now for free!

geoffphuket

ha ha ! I have come to the conclusion now why so many people are selling these things on Phuket Gazette ! All those monthly fees which are yet to come, pass the debt on to someone else ! :o

I knew there had to be some reason behind this ! :D

Entrep, it's not a DNS problem. If you're running uTorrent or BitTorrent at the same time you're trying to surf the Web, you're going to have lots of "time out" difficulties. DNS problems manifest in completely different ways. Drop me a line and I'll explain - woody (at) khun woody (dot) com.

If you want to see how the CAT EV-DO service is performing around the island, look at the test results submitted to the Phuket Internet Speed Reporting site. If you want to contribute your measured speeds, send me mail.

As noted, the best way to see if the "AirCard" will work in your location is to try it, and return it by 2:00 if it doesn't work. You get your money back, no problem. (Actually the Comtech CCU-650 is the only EV-DO device available from CAT at the moment.)

For those of you who haven't paid - you're going to get cut off, probably sooner rather than later. CAT claims that it has sent out CDMA bills to many (certainly hundreds) of farang who haven't paid. Because so many people haven't paid their bills, it's likely that CAT will no longer give CDMA accounts to farang without work permits. The policy is due to change in the next few days, if it hasn't changed already. Do everyone a favor: if you haven't paid your bill, contact CAT and get your records straightened out.

Sorry, but if you talk to someone at CAT and they tell you that you don't need to pay your bill, they're wrong.

As for selling your used card - there's no problem at all buying a used CAT AirCard 580 or CAT CCU-650. But when you buy it, you need to transfer the account, else you'll be cut off before long. The only way to re-instate the account will be to pay all of the back bills - including the bills accumulated by the previous owner. That's why CAT requires both the buyer AND THE SELLER of a used AirCard or CCU-650 to go, together, to the CAT office. It costs B 250 to transfer the bills to a new owner - and the person selling the card will be required to pay off their bill before the account is transferred.

I'll be writing about this in the Gazette when I have time. In the interim, we discuss all of these topics - and many more - at the Sunday morning PC Group Therapy meetings. They're free, every Sunday, from 10:00 to noon. The next two Sunday mornings we'll be meeting in Chalong. We're devoting the last Sunday morning of this month to Mac users. Details in the Gazette's Events Calendar.

Edited by woodyleonhard

Hi everyone, I've got both of the Cat cards. My Aircard has been pretty good but it does do some "strange things" occasionally but I have put this down to a heat problem, it does get extremely hot in one of my laptops. Turn everything off remove the card and leave it for a good while and everything seems to come good. The problems I get are the same as mentioned, everything works exept loading web pages... strange but it works for me. Also I seem to get less dropoffs when the card is being used constantly I usually have something downloading in the background to keep the connection open. The USB device is a different story, it seems to drop out due to lack of use and doesn't seem to get as good a signal as the card, but it has its uses. I have paid my card up well in advance (this was a drama all of its own..why would anyone want to do that !) and I do recieve regular invoices, I think you will get stung eventually and as Woody suggests I would sort it now. I must add that the service I have recieved from Cat is second to non. Yuppa the lady I always deal with has been exeptional, I had a problem when I set up seperate accounts on one computer, it took 3 of them the best part of the day (it was a problem with their set up) but they stayed until it was rectified. Signal strength can be a problem and although I haven't hooked it up yet and tried it I have purchased an external antennea for the card for next to nothing and it was delivered the next day (it is a yagi directional type) from a third party. Should be interesting will keep you informed when I get it up and running. The only place (apart from in "the village") it hasn't worked is Bangkok. But all other major centres (even Nong Khai) no problems !

Hope this helps. :o

I bought the EVDO USB thing and the speed has been terrible in the 24 hours since I bought it. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I live in Phuket Town so I'm not exactly in the hills. The antenna almost snapped off when I extended it too. What a pain.