Some Help Required Please.

NoshowJones

I want to download songs on my laptop on to my smartphone. I have started by using my charger and connecting it from my desktop on to my smartphone, my phone number appears on my desktop, can anyone tell me where to go from here. Thanks.

If you have Windows, you have some One Drive storage included. Put all your songs on there and they are accessible from any device on which you log in. You can install One Drive onto an Android phone.

Just now, Jai Dee said:

If you double click on this does a File Explorer window open?

If so, just navigate to Internal Storage/Music and copy your music files (.mp3?) to this location on your phone.

The phone's media player should be able to play them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I want to download songs on my laptop on to my smartphone. I have started by using my charger and connecting it from my desktop on to my smartphone, my phone number appears on my desktop, can anyone tell me where to go from here. Thanks.

I'm sure there are slicker, easier ways to do it, but personally I just use a connecting cable which plugs into my smartphone and using the usb plug at the other end of the cable, plugs into the usb port on the side of the laptop.

I then find the file or song that I want to transfer, highlight, do the old right click & copy (or cut) thing, go to 'computer', open my phone, then paste it in the 'Audio' file. 

(PS...not sure what you mean when you say you use your charger? You mean the charger cable, right? ????)

• Like 1

Check your charger cable is also a data transfer cable. If so, just select the files on the laptop, copy and paste to the music area of your smartphone.

They can also be transferred by WiFi using Bluetooth. My son is smart enough to do that, I am not.

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

I'm sure there are slicker, easier ways to do it, but personally I just use a connecting cable which plugs into my smartphone and using the usb plug at the other end of the cable, plugs into the usb port on the side of the laptop.

I then find the file or song that I want to transfer, highlight, do the old right click & copy (or cut) thing, go to 'computer', open my phone, then paste it in the 'Audio' file. 

(PS...not sure what you mean when you say you use your charger? You mean the charger cable, right? ????)

Yes I mean the charger cable. I will try what you say though I'm not sure about trying to paste on to the audio file.

Let me suggest an alternative - I have found Spotify to be wonderful. There is a free version but the paid subscription allows me to listen in the car through my telephone... you can make your own playlists or use theirs based on genre... I have found it very easy to use - 

it is another in a long line of new eras - at the apple store one of the young salesmen didn't know what iTunes was... 

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

If you double click on this does a File Explorer window open?

No, it doesn't matter whether I double click left or right on the phone number, it just comes up that the folder is empty.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

See if there are any hidden or secondary messages on the dropdown menu hiding on your smartyphone screen.

When I connect mine using the USB cable, it defaults to charge mode.  The hidden message lets me switch to use cable for data transfer, and can then access files on the phone like any disc drive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

See if there are any hidden or secondary messages on the dropdown menu hiding on your smartyphone screen.

When I connect mine using the USB cable, it defaults to charge mode.  The hidden message lets me switch to use cable for data transfer, and can then access files on the phone like any disc drive.

Mine doesn't default at all, just has an empty screen.

Just now, NoshowJones said:

No, it doesn't matter whether I double click left or right on the phone number, it just comes up that the folder is empty.

It sounds like there is a Permissions issue.

Immediately after connecting your phone via USB to your laptop does your phone display a message asking you if it can trust the computer that is currently connected to it?

Swipe down from the top of your phone to get to the hidden messages area... you might see a message there.

/Edit: I assume that you are using an Android phone?

Edited by Jai Dee

35 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Mine doesn't default at all, just has an empty screen.

Press the power button and the default screen should come up showing all your apps.

Pull down the dropdown menu, there may be a secondary notification at the bottom of that.

Or...........you could try file transfer by bluetooth.

• Like 2

After you've connect the phone to the computer, you'll likely have a notification on your phone. If you press that, you should be able to change the type of connection you have to the computer, one of which being "File explorer" or something similar.

After you've chosen that, you should be able to see the phone on the computer via the My Computer icon. Double-clicking that should show all the different folders on your phone, allowing you to drag and drop your music files (preferably to a folder named "Music" or similar).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

It sounds like there is a Permissions issue.

Immediately after connecting your phone via USB to your laptop does your phone display a message asking you if it can trust the computer that is currently connected to it?

Swipe down from the top of your phone to get to the hidden messages area... you might see a message there.

/Edit: I assume that you are using an Android phone?

Yes using an android phone, and not a laptop, a desktop all in one. I swiped down and there is only something to do with phone numbers, nothing to do with wanting to download music from my computer.

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes I mean the charger cable. I will try what you say though I'm not sure about trying to paste on to the audio file.

Have a try. Like I implied, my method is kind of old style, I think, but it works fine enough for me.

I described my method in a deliberately kind of basic, general way, meaning, for example, that depending on what version of windows you have, things might be termed differently, ie on my laptop (windows 10) the older 'My Computer' icon on the screen is now termed 'This PC'......which in turn, for someone of my age and somewhat stiffened mental agility, can cause confusion!

So you might encounter things I didn't mention, ie on my wife's phone (but not mine) when connected to laptop via usb port, the phone asks if you will 'allow' the info on it to be accessed. If you don't notice it, and allow, you won't be able to locate & open it on the laptop. 

But whatever things I omitted to say - if encountered - are all things you can work out ok anyway, with good old trial & error. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If you have Windows, you have some One Drive storage included. Put all your songs on there and they are accessible from any device on which you log in. You can install One Drive onto an Android phone.

I have noticed one drive but never used it, I will see if I can find out how to work it.

21 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

If so, just navigate to Internal Storage/Music and copy your music files (.mp3?) to this location on your phone.

The phone's media player should be able to play them.

No, nothing appears at all.

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Check your charger cable is also a data transfer cable. If so, just select the files on the laptop, copy and paste to the music area of your smartphone.

They can also be transferred by WiFi using Bluetooth. My son is smart enough to do that, I am not.

I know how to copy and paste on my computer but not on my phone. I am not smart enough either where Bluetooth is concerned, all it ever does is give me problems.

19 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Thanks, but it seems I'm going to need someone with me as I am not literate enough.

I am going to try KannikaP's one drive method, if I can't do that I will just have to wait until someone can show me what to do.