Travel Insurance for a couple of weeks to Australia

bbi1

Need to organise travel insurance for the gf for us to come to Oz for a couple of weeks as part of her Oz tourist visa. Any recommendations on any decent companies to look at? It should have good cover for public hospital and any emergency treatments, if it's ever needed.

Of the insurers based in Thailand, I believe AIG offers the highest limits for medical expenses (5 million baht). AIG also offers cover that will pay for repatriation at actual cost. 

AXA Thailand also offers travel cover, but I think the highest limit they offer is 4 million baht.

Other Thailand-based insurers offer travel cover, but I would stick with the larger multinationals. They tend to have better claims-paying attitudes.

There are also specialty travel companies outside Thailand that may offer higher limits, but I am not familiar with them.

You might wish to contact an insurance broker and ask them to help you find the best solution for your requirements. It does not cost more to use a broker and a broker can also help if you do have a claim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 6:07 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Of the insurers based in Thailand, I believe AIG offers the highest limits for medical expenses (5 million baht). AIG also offers cover that will pay for repatriation at actual cost. 

AXA Thailand also offers travel cover, but I think the highest limit they offer is 4 million baht.

Other Thailand-based insurers offer travel cover, but I would stick with the larger multinationals. They tend to have better claims-paying attitudes.

There are also specialty travel companies outside Thailand that may offer higher limits, but I am not familiar with them.

You might wish to contact an insurance broker and ask them to help you find the best solution for your requirements. It does not cost more to use a broker and a broker can also help if you do have a claim.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know or have experience with the MSIG Travel Easy plan? Is this a good policy? Is MSIG considered one of the "larger multinaitonals"?

10 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know or have experience with the MSIG Travel Easy plan? Is this a good policy? Is MSIG considered one of the "larger multinaitonals"?

MSIG = Mitsubish Sumitomo Insurance Group. The parent company is rated A+ Stable by Standard and Poors and I would consider it in the same general league as AIG and AXA.

Having said that, the local MSIG office is a Thai public company with limited liability, as is AIG Thailand and AXA Thailand, so the S&P rating of the parent does not apply to the Thai venture.

I would expect MSIG Thailand to be professional in their dealings with their policyholders, although their policies and premiums will probably not be substantially different from most other Thai insurers due to regulations regarding policy wording and rating.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 1