Premier League Matches Exclusive To Truesport

thaireg

I've checked through most forums to see if there is already a thread concerning the announcement on the Truevisions/UBC website dated 6th June 2007 that for the next 3 seasons UK Premier League matches will be exclusive to TrueSport channels. If there is a thread already posted, please point me to it.

The website states that Platinum package viewers will be able to receive every one of the 380 matches per season live, with Gold package viewers able to receive 206-304 matches per season.

Channels mentioned are TrueSport ch. 1,3,4 & TrueVisions ch. 68,69,70.

Will there be no coverage on ESPN or Star Sports? What are TrueSport channels 1,3,4 ?

Guest Reimar

Maybe TRUE Vision need to show the Premier League because one of the Club's is an Thai Club (Manchester City)!!

And they need to do so for three years because Mr. T talked in an Interview that he need for everything 3 Years to get the "work" done and if not within 3 years he would change hims direction to a new business which he want complete within another three years!

Who knows??

I also was wondering about this as there is no listing for ESPN or Star Sports in this month's magazine. I called True Visons today and was told that management is in talks with the supplier regarding a new contract for ESPN and Star Sports and they won't know for a few more weeks.

The same goes for the new 'a-la-carte' line-up of extra channels (Disney, etc). They are still in talks with the supplier about price but estimate that it will be an extra 300 Baht p/month.

The loss of ESPN and Star Sports would be a big blow. No more studio analysis and chat in English about the game (although game commentry will continue), just a couple of guys in shell suits saying "oh-hoooe" far too many times as they watch the replays.

I guess we will also loose F1 and Moto GP coverage along with the majority of other major sporting events. Let's hope not.

I sent an E-Mail to TrueVisions and actually received a reply.

They said, as sahprite has already stated, that they were in contract negotiations with ESPN and STAR Sports, but that even if the contract is renewed, ESPN would not be showing Premier League matches, they would be exclusive to TrueSport channels.

They further stated that there would be studio discussion prior to the matches and a round-up show after the match but that it would only be in Thai.

The other thing is that the match commentary would be in Thai only. It seems that nobody objected to the World Cup commentaries in Thai and that the cost is much cheaper.

They didn't answer my query about selecting the big matches each week for broadcast on the channels reserved for Platinum package users only. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Looking at TrueVisions schedule, I note that they are listing the Community Shield match on ESPN for August 5th, but if ESPN and STAR disappear not only will we lose a lot of international sport, but also the Champions League and FA Cup matches.

There's more on this on the football / general forums. But this is the first i have heard of them not having the english commentary. Is that what they said? Originally they said that it would be available in either thai or english.

EVERYBODY objected to the world cup commentaries in Thai - it ruined the world cup for me (along with England's performances). But how would True / UBC know anyway, as they had nothing to do with the broadcasts?

I am watching closely what they do with Sky sports / espn. It just seems like a massive step backwards in terms of thailands sports coverage, all for the sake of money. Golf, champions league, tennis, formula 1 No more.

Basically if they drop the 2 channels, for me the better option is paying 350 baht a month and just paying to view some games, the movie channels suck anyway.

I watched Wimbledon on Star Sport and the commentary was available in Thai or English. I simply pressed the alternate language button on the UBC/truevisions remote to get English as the default language naturally was Thai.

I hope they keep this option as it provides the best of both worlds.

I really hope they do provide commentary in English, otherwise I will probably be looking elsewhere for football coverage.

The things that amazes me, is the lack of clear policy, with only a month to go.

Just don't seem to be getting a clear statement regarding the English commentary, and questions such as; will I be able to watch MY team on the Gold package, or will I have to pay more?

And at the same time, they are encouraging people to sign up for a so called season ticket before 31st July...crazy.

There is no 'legal' alternative to Truevisions, so I guess they can be as badly run as they want.

The other thing is that the match commentary would be in Thai only. It seems that nobody objected to the World Cup commentaries in Thai and that the cost is much cheaper.

The people at True obviously only see and hear what they want to. I seem to remember seeing many letters in the Bangkok post complaining about the commentary only being in Thai. There were also numerous comments here on TV. True also replied to those comments at that time saying something about the English commentary being provided by another companyand was nothing to do with them. Right now the name of the company slips my mind. (Duosprech, duspeak or something like that.)