Aussie mum’s brave battle ends in poignant farewell

Don Chance

image.jpeg

An Aussie mum who showed tremendous courage to emerge from a coma and fight against a brain injury yesterday finally succumbed to her injuries.

The Aussie mum of three, Kylee Enwright, accidentally slipped and fell and hit her head after enjoying a few drinks with her husband in Khao Lak, southern Thailand in May. As a consequence, the 48 year old grandmother from Singleton, New South Wales, lost consciousness and suffered head and ear bleeding due to the incident and slipped into a coma.

The Aussie mum had been making a steady recovery in hospital and was relearning to walk and talk when she unexpectedly suffered a second catastrophic brain bleed on Sunday.

by Bob Scott

Pictures courtesy of 7News.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/aussie-mums-brave-battle-ends-in-poignant-farewell-video

-- Thaiger 2023-08-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Reading the title I assumed it was from riding a motorcycle - which is definitely the single most dangerous thing  you could do in Thailand - but she just fell down while walking.

It's scary to think you could die from just falling down; shows you how fragile life is.

RIP

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Sad 3

26 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The answer is in the article.

Thanks anchadian....Its no use me getting insurance then---- seems I cant read the large print, let alone the small...:coffee1:

Also article starts off with it being a 1.5 meter drop  "Kylee Enwright fell 1.5m in Thailand in May"   ends up with it being a half meter "Ms Enwright fell off a half-metre high balcony"  it does look more like half a meter in the Video.

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Reading the title I assumed it was from riding a motorcycle - which is definitely the single most dangerous thing  you could do in Thailand - but she just fell down while walking.

It's scary to think you could die from just falling down; shows you how fragile life is.

RIP

Walking back from the bar. If I recall they had to start a gofundme page because the insurance company wouldn't pay as she'd been drinking.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Almost as weird as you feeling compelled to tell us about your toenail accident. Given how off topic that was it must have had a profound effect on you at the time.

I fell down stairs, caught my fall with my hands saving lots of damage.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Walking back from the bar. If I recall they had to start a gofundme page because the insurance company wouldn't pay as she'd been drinking.

Travel Insurance isn't open ended. Fall happened a in May. Some only cover the time of your holiday. "Alcohol" is excluded in all policies. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Aussie mum had been making a steady recovery in hospital and was relearning to walk and talk when she unexpectedly suffered a second catastrophic brain bleed on Sunday.

Tragic ending... not the way a holiday is supposed to end.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Aussie mum had been making a steady recovery in hospital and was relearning to walk and talk when she unexpectedly suffered a second catastrophic brain bleed

The hospital had no expectation that she might still be in danger for consequence of brain injury?

Are 'talking and walking' the the best medical indications for wellness following a coma and brain injury?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Females are more affected by alcohol than males. "Enjoyed a few drinks" covers a fairly wide spectrum. RIP.

in this instance "enjoyed a few drinks" means a blood alcohol level of .35.

Sad to say she was paralytic. it is surprising she was able to leave the bar under her own power.

Edited by n00dle
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, n00dle said:

in this instance "enjoyed a few drinks" means a blood alcohol level of .35.

Sad to say she was paralytic. it is surprising she was able to leave the bar under her own power.

0.35 is inebriated to what is described as stumbling drunk. I did not realise her BAC was so high.

She is about 6' tall.  Everything is design for short people in Thailand, so if you are not aware of this it is easy to trip.  Step run and rise are irregular. There should be travel warning.

xtypical-stringer.jpg.pagespeed.ic.zQErI

Same with balcony and railing heights. Many times railing as absent on stairs completely. So many hazards tourists will take for granted.  It is a problem with modernity and growth, it requires a lot of safety. You are safer in Nepal or India because things are low tech, cars are slower. etc.

image-deck-railing-can-375_500_rgb-resiz

Edited by Don Chance
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

0.35 is inebriated to what is described as stumbling drunk. I did not realise her BAC was so high.

He blood alcohol level was never checked at the hospital, rather the insurance company inferred a level of 0.35 based on the bar bill, CCTV footage and her body weight.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Don Chance said:

She is about 6' tall.  Everything is design for short people in Thailand, so if you are not aware of this it is easy to trip.  Step run and rise are irregular. There should be travel warning.

xtypical-stringer.jpg.pagespeed.ic.zQErI

Same with balcony and railing heights. Many times railing as absent on stairs completely. So many hazards tourists will take for granted.  It is a problem with modernity and growth, it requires a lot of safety. You are safer in Nepal or India because things are low tech, cars are slower. etc.

image-deck-railing-can-375_500_rgb-resiz

Nice stairs, good effort, but the woman was well beyond mildly impaired. a travel warning would not have helped.

Thanks for coming out tho.

Edited by n00dle
  • Sad 1