Cheapest Way From London To Bangkok

dunez

i have just booked what I believe to be the cheapest way from london to bkk (one way).

1) Fly Hong Kong Oasis from London to Hong Kong. (£160)

2) Travel to Macau from Hong Kong airport (£18)

3) Fly Air Asia from Macau to BKK (£45 approx)

Seems to be about £100 cheaper than any one way flights I could find.

www.skyscanner.net was a big help

Clever idea. But what about the waiting time between Flights?

yeah right . For a hundred pound less there is many unconvenience coming with this idea.

I think most travellers would be happy to pay 100 pound more , and safer flights.

Is it the complexity of attempting to work out inter-connecting flights and times, or is it I, after a long day at school, who is finding the idea somewhat confounding?

i have just booked what I believe to be the cheapest way from london to bkk (one way).

1) Fly Hong Kong Oasis from London to Hong Kong. (£160)

2) Travel to Macau from Hong Kong airport (£18)

3) Fly Air Asia from Macau to BKK (£45 approx)

Seems to be about £100 cheaper than any one way flights I could find.

www.skyscanner.net was a big help

Will Oasis let you board the aircraft in London on a O/W ticket? Do they accept a ticket out of Macau as a ticket out of Hong Kong?

Assuming the OP is British, I think you simply get a 6 month stamp on entering Hong Kong. (Although it's a few years since I've been.)

I'm sure if it's not the cheapest option, then very close, but if his Oasis is delayed, he'd possibly have to buy another Air Asia ticket as neither airline accepts responsibility for delays.

All I can say is I hope he's allowed for a lot of time for the transfer between the two airports, and in case of delays.

(Or better - has a day for a stopover, so can spend some time in HK / Macau)

Edited by bkk_mike

If your hel_l bent on saving 100 quid for all that hassle why bother coming all that way at all...unless your one of those back packer sort...one bottle of water & four straws betwen you :o

Will Oasis let you board the aircraft in London on a O/W ticket? Do they accept a ticket out of Macau as a ticket out of Hong Kong?

Assuming the OP is British, I think you simply get a 6 month stamp on entering Hong Kong. (Although it's a few years since I've been.)

In January this poster seems to have needed an onward ticket to board.

Are you allowed to enter the Kingdom with a one way ticket ? huh.gif

If he holds a visa he will be allowed in

You could have gone direct for around £332. IMHO not worth the hassle - have you factored in taxi expenses, additional drinks, etc. I doubt if Oasis offer complimentary drinks onboard and I know for sure Air Asia don't.

IMHO only worth doing if you intend stopping over in HK or Macau. If it's just to save a few quid then I think it's more hassle than it's worth. Couldn't you work some overtime or something instead and go direct?

just yestarday seen one way ticket bkk-lhr with aeroflot for £268 incl - so only a small difference from £223+.

Hovewer if you say it saved you £100 - than it's almost 30% saving. For the millionaires £100 is nothing, but for some it means 1 week longer holidays.

In January this poster seems to have needed an onward ticket to board.

I flew into HK one-way with Oasis in April. (The route had a particular appeal for me because EU citizens can enter Hong Kong without a visa, and once there, get 6m visas for China over the counter that are much more complicated to get elsewhere...) I was required to have an proof of onward travel of some kind, but the check-in staff accepted an e-confirmation for a rail ticket to the mainland. If you want to go to BK via this route, just call the Oasis call centre and get them to confirm (by email) that an onward flight confirmation from Macau is acceptable.

The food and facilities on the Oasis flight were perfectly acceptable (though drinks, snacks & special meals are extra.) They don't supply Flight socks and a toothbrush...

There's a ferry direct from HK airport to Macau airport (AKA 'skypier') - you don't have to clear HK customs, so the transit time is fairly short, & Oasis have a pretty good timeliness record. A gap of 4-5 hours should cover most circumstances - otherwise I believe many travel insurance policies (excluding the back-packer type) would cover a missed connection.

If you can't find comparably cheap one-way ticket (or if these all have long waits for connections) then it seems like a pretty good route. For a difference of GBP100, you could spend a day or three in HK/Macau...

You might want to just stow away on a freighter--you'll get there eventually and it won't cost you a thing!

Or why not just walk, swim, hitchhike and beg for food on the way?

THAT'S the cheapest way. :D

Oh, cumon you lot, why so much sarcasm? OP has an adventurous spirit and probably wants to do things differently. Maybe he'll get stuck in Macau, but so what? Wouldn't that be all part of the fun?

Anyone (at least anyone with deep pockets) can book a direct flight and have an eventless journey, but isn't it the getting away from the planned predictability of the western world that attracts most of us to Thailand?

I welcome this cheap route advice, and if I was in UK instead of in Thailand, I'd be very much tempted to try it myself.

How about the other direction? BK to UK one way? Could that be booked and the same thing done in reverse, I wonder?

+ SJ

Are you allowed to enter the Kingdom with a one way ticket ? :o

could say you are joining yacht as deckhand or similar.helps to have a letter from ´yacht captain`with nice headed note paperfor confimation

How about the other direction? BK to UK one way? Could that be booked and the same thing done in reverse, I wonder?

Yes, of course

Air Asia to Macau

Ferry Macau to HK

Oasis HK to LGW

I haveto go back to Manchester UK in October, for 3 weeks, I have an Open University exam to do on the 18th October.

Help please :-)))) I am having trouble navigating that site at times .I keep ending up where I start off when I enter details for Manchester :-(

DOH! Just realised that the Airline only flies to London. Just my luck :o

still worth looking into mike. if you can get a 100 quid fare from hong kong, check out virgin trains website.they have cheap train tickets if you book early. i have had 9 quid 1 way euston to man a few times last coupla years.

a cheap trip to hong kong and you are home cheap.

dont listen to the knockers who say its too much hassle.

How difficult/easy is it to get from Heathrow Airport to Euston Train Station with suitcases?

personally i never travel with "suitcases" (plural)

heathrow to euston is no problem for anybody who isnt carrying the kitchen sink.

I haveto go back to Manchester UK in October, for 3 weeks, I have an Open University exam to do on the 18th October.

Lucky for you October is low season. In that case you may be better off using an airline such as Emirates or Etihad or Qatar who fly to MAN and do O/W tickets but dont you want to return?

Edited by Mahout Angrit