Orange plant issue

I have a small, young, Thai orange tree - maybe too small to call it a tree as of now!

It does get a few fruit, but the problem is the skin, or rind, of the orange splits before it ripens. Anyone here can suggest what the problem may be?

This is in the Hang Dong area of Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:51 PM, Wandr said:

I have a small, young, Thai orange tree - maybe too small to call it a tree as of now!

It does get a few fruit, but the problem is the skin, or rind, of the orange splits before it ripens. Anyone here can suggest what the problem may be?

This is in the Hang Dong area of Chiang Mai.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/oranges/oranges-splitting.htm

Obtain a soil moisture meter, to take the guesswork out of when to water.

Fertilize with Takumi Fish Fertilizer 

https://maruchubussan.co.th/product/fish-amino-organic-fertilizer/

to go all-out for best plant health care, add a biostimulant- inoculant; liquid worm castings effluent, from MaeJo University Cannabis Farm worm compost operation. At MJU Farm. 

I hope that helps. Don

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 5:37 AM, jak2002003 said:

Get the oranges from the market. 

Chuck the tree and plant some nice flowers. 

Ha Ha, lazy man!

Market bought oranges and other chemically grown food are unlikely to be healthy and high nutrient density. Grow your own with good soil fertility and water management. 

Orange trees have 'nice' fragrant flowers 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Ha Ha, lazy man!

Market bought oranges and other chemically grown food are unlikely to be healthy and high nutrient density. Grow your own with good soil fertility and water management. 

Orange trees have 'nice' fragrant flowers 

Haha. Well, maybe.a bit...but I soeak from experience. 

There is a reason that oranges are produced only in certain areas of Thailand. 

They are suited to different attitudes, temperatures and rainfall, soil makeup, micro climates etc.  

We can get the soil mix OK for them..but if the area the op is living in is too hot for them or the climate is not optimal then the tree will constantly have problems with diseases, pests and poor health. 

The same goes for the fruit itself...likely low quality, poor taste and texture or diseased.

It's a nice idea to have lush orange tree producing big juicy oranges in your garden...but the reality is usually different and dissapointing. 

Limes do very well at low altitudes here in CM.  But not oranges. 

On 8/30/2023 at 9:14 PM, brianthainess said:

Sounds like to much water to me, I have had one growing for 4 years from pips just spat out, gets a lot of water has never flowered or grown fruit. meanwhile the ginger is growing really well.

"Never flowered or grown fruit" -  is exactly what you can expect from "pips just spat out". Desireable citrus varieties are grown on grafted trees with proven root stock.  And with good soil and water management. The citrus in the photos are severely chlorotic, indicating poor soil fertility, suppression by crowding with the ginger, and other aspects of managment.