Nightlife In Issan

stament

I saw a posting on here about nightlife in Burinam and it got me wondering what nightlife in other major towns and cities in Issan was like?

I want to come to Issan and experience the Issan lifestyle and learnin thai. However, I'd also like the opportunity to go out and let my hair down so to speak once in a while. Obviously my thai will be very poor to start with but it will get better (hopefully) and I'd like to go somewhere which I can relax in, i.e. not a 100% thai venue. I'd need one where thai's can speak at least some English as my thai would be poor.

Any thoughts on places atarting with say Ubon, Surin, Khorat, Udon Thani, Si Saket and other major towns?

Thanks

Loads of welcoming places in Korat.

You will find that major-sih venues will all have a smattering of English speaking staff. Your wallet will talk so loudly though, the words will be immaterial...

Start out at the Sports and Cocktail bar near rya grand hotel. The lads in there will tell you what's hot and what's not.

Loz

I can only speak for Surin as I live here.

There are 3 farang bars where the staff speak a little English. The customers speak English also up to early evening. The nightlife is here but with little selection except the Karaoke and Sing-a-Song bars, e.g. one disco, one cayote bar and a couple of other less reputable bars. Massage parlours of varying quality are plentiful. Restaurants are everywhere as in most Thai towns.

If you do a search on Ubon, Udon, Surin and Roi Et + nightlife on this forum you will come across some of our discussions from the past. You can also visit other forums like 'Udonmap.com', and I think 'yahoo.com.com' and 'KhonKaen.com'. They all have nightlife sections. I've always thought Ubon had more going on than most people on here say, but that seems to be an issue on which we must beg to differ. I also think there are one or two smaller cities that are interesting, but I'm keeping quiet about those...

P.S don't know why but one of the URLs is being changed as I enter it - should be koratf*rang

Edited by citizen33

We have had so many threads on this. Lets face it , a good time is what you make it, and the person you are. You might like eating out at some fine Thai restaurants. You might like to have a binge drinking session with a shedful of ex-pats. You might like to wander round the various dens of iniquety on your own sampling the treats on offer. You might like to sit in a roadside bar watching life go by, as yours does too. You might even like to take your better half out for a good evenings music and dancing. Well, let me surprise you. Isaan has all of these.

We have had so many threads on this. Lets face it , a good time is what you make it, and the person you are. You might like eating out at some fine Thai restaurants. You might like to have a binge drinking session with a shedful of ex-pats. You might like to wander round the various dens of iniquety on your own sampling the treats on offer. You might like to sit in a roadside bar watching life go by, as yours does too. You might even like to take your better half out for a good evenings music and dancing. Well, let me surprise you. Isaan has all of these.

Come & live in Kabinburi. You can cross most of those off the list! :o FA to do here unless you like repetition or are willing to drive for an hour in any given direction! :D

Soundman.

I saw a posting on here about nightlife in Burinam and it got me wondering what nightlife in other major towns and cities in Issan was like?

I want to come to Issan and experience the Issan lifestyle and learnin thai. However, I'd also like the opportunity to go out and let my hair down so to speak once in a while. Obviously my thai will be very poor to start with but it will get better (hopefully) and I'd like to go somewhere which I can relax in, i.e. not a 100% thai venue. I'd need one where thai's can speak at least some English as my thai would be poor.

Any thoughts on places atarting with say Ubon, Surin, Khorat, Udon Thani, Si Saket and other major towns?

Thanks

Surin is the place.

Beware however of the FarangConnection near the bus stop. There is a porky old far* who serves the most outrageous meals, so large they can't be finished, cold beer, (no vegemite) and dogs yapping at your feet. Most of the patrons of this establishment speak in tongues as the night wears on, so don't fret about foreign language skills.

Issan life is relaxed, friendly.

If you would like to learn Thai there are many young nubiles there (Soi kola) who will teach you the language. They will also benefit from some English lessons to assist them in their pronunciation of 'Herro handsome man' 'What your name' 'where you come from' 'I like you too much'

IF you want to experience rural Thailand, go to Surin.

Dens of iniquety?

I'll have to check out a few of these next time I'm there...... :o

Dens of iniquety?

:D Now you've done it the whole world knows! Gone and ruined it fun police on there way. :D Back in the old days when the dens of iniquety were at play :D

Dens of iniquety?

Come off it John.............you gave me the list :D

The customers speak English also up to early evening.

Debatable...

You might like to have a binge drinking session with a shedful of ex-pats.

Ahem... :o

Totster :bah:

I thought the OP said nightlife. It's like gods waiting room in the FC!!! Full of a bunch of incoherrent, jibbering, old power drinkers...... :D

P.S. It's a bloody good laugh though, us young lot have a sweep going, on which one will be next to fall of his perch.

Regards all

John......... :D:D:D

Debatable...

Totster :o

I thought the OP said nightlife. It's like gods waiting room in the FC!!! Full of a bunch of incoherrent, jibbering, old power drinkers...... :bah:

P.S. It's a bloody good laugh though, us young lot have a sweep going, on which one will be next to fall of his perch.

Regards all

That's good coming from a Geordie who claims that he's a Scotsman without brains ;):D It's funny what a :bah: can do.

Debatable...

Totster ;)

I thought the OP said nightlife. It's like gods waiting room in the FC!!! Full of a bunch of incoherrent, jibbering, old power drinkers...... :o

Regards all

That's good coming from a Geordie who claims that he's a Scotsman without brains :D:D It's funny what a :bah: can do.

I was confused as a newt at the time....

Back to the original question. Yes they are plenty of establishments of all kinds to meet your needs in Surin.....

And a few other places like 10 pin bowling. But beware the dark side of Surin, you'll probably bump into a few of the coffin dodgers from FC tucked away in a corner in some of them....... :bah: (You's know who you are!!!)

Is there anywhere to get western food in Sisaket? It seems like a big enough city and it is right between Surin and Ubon is it just to small or am I just to dense to find them?

There are few places to go for you can find out at different websites for example http://www.res24asia.com

When you mean Westernfood made by Foreigners there is Frank' Livin in the Past and Uncle Willi other places are Dyna Steak House, PS, Sugar Pub ( Home of Sisaket Riders and United Knights )

For Niggtlife you will find I-Bar, Nona, Sugar, Ginery

Edited by Totster

Thanks

If you make it out to Roi Et, check out The White Elephant. It is a resturant and bar run by a German bloke and the food is fantastic.

Nice people as well.

Another one in Roi Et is 101 pizza run by a Thai lady, farang trained, with a drop dead gorgeous body. She makes very good burgers and pizzas.

Ubon ... got to Wrong Way Cafe. Very good food.