Amphoe Koh Samui

Just went to the Tessaban:

Samui has 50.050 registered citizens. Now we are an amphoe (province) formally.

Are you sure about this Claude? We may now have the 50,000 but no way do we have the population density which is also a requirement. I hear that they are looking at making KS KP & KT a special economic zone as per Pattaya as the facts do not support City Status. What criteria are they using to make KS a Province as you state?

Thesaban are the municipalities in Thailand. There are three levels of municipalities - city, town and village. Both Bangkok and Pattaya are special municipal entities outside the thesaban system.

The municipalities take over some of the responsibilities which are assigned to the districts (Amphoe) or communes (Tambon) for the non-municipal (rural) areas.

Cities

Thesaban nakhon are usually translated as city. To qualify for city status a municipality needs to have a population of at least 50,000 and a population density of 3,000 per square kilometre.

TownsThesaban mueang are usually translated as town. For a municipality to qualify as a town it either needs to be a provincial capital, or have a population of at least 10,000, a population density of 3000 per km², and sufficient income to cover the tasks of a town.

Townships

Thesaban tambon are the lowest municipality level. Despite its name, it does not necessarily be the same area as a tambon, it may cover a tambon incompletely, or may also extend over parts of more than one tambon.

For an area to qualify to establish as a village municipality, it needs a gross income of at least 5 million baht, a population of 5000, a population density of 1,500 per km², and the censensus of the population of the area.

Most of the current township municipalities were originally sanitation districts (sukhaphiban), which were all converted into township municipalities in May 1999, even though many of these did actually not meet the above qualifications.

UNQUOTE

Koh Samui has been an amphur for quite some time. So has Koh Phangan, in fact, Koh Tao belongs to Amphur Koh Phangan. I believe the word you are looking for is Changwat or province. Amphur means district, of which Koh Samui is comprised of two, Phangan and Tao one.

Koh Samui has been an amphur for quite some time. So has Koh Phangan, in fact, Koh Tao belongs to Amphur Koh Phangan. I believe the word you are looking for is Changwat or province. Amphur means district, of which Koh Samui is comprised of two, Phangan and Tao one.

Sorry for my confusion!

I mean "province" - so it is not enough to have 50.000 registered citizens? The density is ridicolous, are there any other obstacles?

Hi, does this mean I DON'T have to go fix roads myself now?

Anyways, danmed good news if Samui is a Changwat now.

The Samui locals can steal ALL the tax now rather than the Surat locals stealing most of it, eh?

Looks like the "boys" all get new 4WD pickups next year then, jolly good.

( please excuse my cynicism, it is just my nature after years here )

The Samui locals can steal ALL the tax now rather than the Surat locals stealing most of it, eh?

Oh yes, there will be plenty of brand new 5-stars-karaoke clubs soon!

No,they will open a new service centre for Mercedes Benz.

Samui Mayor Varakorn Rattanarak seeks to change the status of the island from being sub-district municipality to a full-fledged city . and Concrete steps towards cityhood will be made at the next election . etc according to Samui Express

No,they will open a new service centre for Mercedes Benz.

Everybody in Germany can afford a Mercedes why here they are too poor for a nice Porsche??

Dman that, Bentleys and Rollers all 'round I say. All round!

The roads here are perfect for Bentleys and Rollers, eh?

Really, I expect to see even more Hummers on the road next year, I think they are getting to be a favorite flavour of those who are mindlessly and effortlessly rich.

Well, I can't see what is all the negativity about - there ARE a many people very concerned about the money being collected here and spend in Surat and believe me, BigC, TescoLotus and the just recently opened Macro will add leverage!

It happens that I do know some people from the inner circle of the governor of samui... don't worry and don't forget we are the guests here, THEY make the rules!

Many of them have businesses on the island as well!

But it's Thaistyle not farangstyle - they don't go out on the road or in some forum and winge anonymously around...

It's all happenin' - don't worry - be happy - for the time being - have a walk on the beach maybe.