annoying flying rats aka pigeons

watgate

We purchased a townhome about 15 years ago. It was new and they had built about 50 of them in the area. Today most of those 50 are in shambles. Thais don't know how to keep anything nice and maintained.

At first it was bats invading every nook and cranny to nest in the attic areas. After bat-proofing ours the pigeons seemed to have invaded next. The pigeons will actually peck away at the structures in order to make their homes. The buildings are starting to actually fall apart.

I bought a couple of life sized plastic owls and put one up on my roof as well as gave one to my good Thai neighbor who did the same. Needless to say that has seemed to keep them away from our roofs but the other townhome owners don't seem to care.

We have since bought a house about 8km away so the next time I go I will take some pics to post as it's totally appalling.

• Thanks 1

Search for "pigeon deterrent" on Lazada and you will find some contraptions, usually reflectors or reflector tape. I don't know how well that works.

What about fish harpoons? I've never used one.

Diclofenac is toxic to birds.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I have a strong dislike to the common Myna bird of Thailand that screams its head off relentlessly 24 hours a day, The bird can imitate human voices and has a number of sharp calls and chatter.

This includes croaks, squawks, chirps, clicks, whistles and ‘growls’, while poop can be cleaned, this noise pollution can drive a person mad and it's unstable. 

I'm unsure the spelling, but my Thai friends call those folks that talk loud and excessively a 'nook ian'....  

When  first heard them say that I asked what it means and they merely pointed at one of those Myna birds. I immediately understood the connection.

This is how London dealt with its pigeon problem.

How were pigeons removed from Trafalgar Square?

How are pigeons controlled in London? There are a number of bird control methods you can use to manage the population of pigeons. For example, since feeding pigeons in Trafalgar Square was forbidden, a professional bird handler flies a Harris's Hawk over the area every morning to ward them off.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:14 AM, JackGats said:

Search for "pigeon deterrent" on Lazada and you will find some contraptions, usually reflectors or reflector tape. I don't know how well that works.

What about fish harpoons? I've never used one.

Diclofenac is toxic to bir

We have bird-shaped kites hanging in various places, old CDs spinning around and flashing light at the birds, mothballs on various surfaces, bird repelling tablets from Daiso, and so on, but the pigeons get used to these things after a while. Keeping the cat's food indoors all the time has made a big difference, as have the plastic spikes from HomePro, but these birds are amazingly persistent. What surprises me, though, is that we live in a lightly populated rural area, but there are so many pigeons. I though pigeons were urban creatures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Those birds are really attractive - for about 20 seconds. Then they become annoying. Compressed air pellet guns solve this. It won't kill them and are legal AS LONG AS YOU USE THE PLASTIC PELLETS and not the lethal metal ones. Works on all annoying pests, two or four legged.

You mean buy an air rifle? How could a farang legally to that? I wish I could have brought my beauty in my completely full 40' container when I moved here, it would have snuck through customs easily, but the removal company spotted it and wouldn't pack it. 

53 minutes ago, fredge45 said:

Racist much sir?

Racist? Too <deleted> funny! Why do you say that?

I said 'most', not all..... And my decades of living here, traveling here. as well as direct observation with my wife's family backs up my statement.

You ever look on the ground around your surroundings? What do you usually see?

TRASH!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/26/2023 at 7:07 AM, zzaa09 said:

Roasted slowly over charcoal.

Making for great beer snacking. 

I have wondered about that.  A place I used to work at in 1978 had pigeons in the building over the steam boiler.  The plant supervisors son would shoot them with a pellet gun.  I asked what he did with the dead pigeons.   Eat them he said.   

I didn't ask how he prepared them but I have always thought it would be a similar procedure like  a chicken.  I also wonder if the smaller bones and chicken parts makes it more difficult to eat them. 

On 2/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, dcalaska said:

Seems to me the Thai people would catch them and eat them. Why has this idea caught on?

Quite a few years back in Oaxaca Mexico, I saw a pigeon get hit by a car. A boy ran out and took and cleaned it, found two bricks and put the pigeon on them. Had it sold in less than an hour.

Check this:

What Are Pigeons Good For? 5 Things

Pigeons are often stigmatized, they’re routinely described as “rats with wings” and are thought of as dirty birds that are a nuisance.

However despite being thought of by many as vermin pigeons actually contribute some important things to the world. Here are 5 good things that pigeons do for the world and us:

1. They Help Disperse Seeds

Pigeons help to disperse seeds and fertilize the ground by defecating on it, which some trees need in order for their fruit to grow.

Due to the vast numbers of pigeons they have a significant impact on seed dispersal and are likely responsible for far more of the flora in our cityscapes than we realise.

2. They Help Control Insect Populations

3. They Remove Food Waste From Our Streets

4. They Make Great Pets

5. They Can Be Used For Homing