BACKBLAZE: What To you Tink About Backblaze for consumer use?

GammaGlobulin

Here is the link to BACKBLAZE...

image.png.42c993111b6ccf573d19b41632e954c7.png

https://www.backblaze.com/

Cheap and reliable backup for your personal storage will become increasingly important.

One day, you may even want to store the contents of your brain on Backblaze, if Musk gets Neuralink working right.

So...

The question is...

Is BACKBLAZE a superior option compared to Google Drive, and Google Storage options?

In what ways?

Advantages?

Disadvantages?

I have heard people say that this is the site to ask questions to cutting-edge CIS people.

And, I want to know.

What are your thoughts?

Will opensource storage be the way to go?

What about storing all data in a distributed way?

Just as distributed computing was the NEXT BIG THING, about two decades ago?

Please stay to the point this time.

Good!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What about storing all data in a distributed way?

Just as distributed computing was the NEXT BIG THING, about two decades ago?

Maybe I failed to communicate, in the original topic, what I meant by distributed storage?

What I meant, at least what I had thought two decades ago, was having storage be controlled by the People, and not by major corporations.

Is this a bad idea?

I must mean that being under the thumb of The Man is never good.

Our data belongs to us...

I just meant...

F

G

• Love It 1

Also, before considering this question...

How much energy is required to store one bit of information?

Have you ever considered that?

I have!!!!!!!

The energy required to store information is substantial.

Therefore, would distributed storage of information provide a reduced energy consumption benefit?

image.png.0bccd627306da625564681724bcc8a86.png

The more energy- efficient the storage, then the lower the cost to consumers...obviously.

Minimizing the cost of storage of information is not a trivial pursuit.

• Love It 1

Backblaze is a backup solution .. it's not a cloud service as you say. You can encrypt your backblaze backups so I assume it's not being mined. the storage is cheap, but afaik, when you want to retrieve the data, you pay. I have run Time Machine on my Mac since I could afford a big enough HDD, I think I have rolled back once in that time. So it may be worthwhile, but depends upon your usage.

There is only one reason google and the others mentioned in your screenshot are cheap, they farm your data to make money.

What do you want? If you want control over your data, have you thought of next cloud on a VPS? I think TB's of data is a lot for Nextcloud, but I dont have that much stored on my server, just copies of marriage certificates, passport, along with text notes that I need to sync across multiple devices.

I prefer to manage my own backups, desktops to server and important stuff in the cloud too.

I couldn't backup to BackBlaze anyway, my 2 servers have 22 of 8TB drives in them with dual parity allowing for any 2 disks to fail without loss of data.  Currently rebuilding one after a disk failure.

Temp.png

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I prefer to manage my own backups, desktops to server and important stuff in the cloud too.

I couldn't backup to BackBlaze anyway, my 2 servers have 22 of 8TB drives in them with dual parity allowing for any 2 disks to fail without loss of data.  Currently rebuilding one after a disk failure.

Temp.png

What are you running all those drives from? I think you may have mentioned 2x 8 port HBA? How do you manage the heat? I have 2 unraid servers but I cant post them now, yours just blew them out of the water.

23 minutes ago, recom273 said:

What are you running all those drives from? I think you may have mentioned 2x 8 port HBA? How do you manage the heat? I have 2 unraid servers but I cant post them now, yours just blew them out of the water.

The cases are Antec 1200's which allow 20 drives using 5 in 3 hot swappable drive trays, the 2 parity drives are in the back, Intel i3 board from SuperMicro, I think the 8 port HBA's are an IBM device re-flashed to something generic.  I can't remember, I've been running them for about 10 years but smaller drives until about 4/5 years ago.

As for heat, I have a small room about 2m x 4m which is air conditioned 24/7 and serves another 2 purposes, it's my wine cellar and it houses all the solar power stuff+batteries.

The disks are set to spin down after 30 minutes idle.