Fast Internet In Chiang Mai Possible?

checkbin

Hello,

I spent already some time in CM but it never was possible to have a really stabil and fast internet connection. Next time I will stay close to Hang Dong and I have to make phone calls esp. conferences to Europe with my Computer. Does anybody in Chiang Mai know a solution for a really good internet connection (provider, modem, connection speed). Minimum rate should be real 512 kbps. I am willing to pay up to 5000 Baht monthly. Thank's for help.

I live by the river just past the end of the airport runway.

Maxnet is my provider:

package is Maxnet Indy 1024/512 kbps,

cost is B1000 plus VAT per month,

router/modem is bog standard provided free with sign up,

on previous tests (using the broadband speed test provided by ThaiVisa) I am averaging 860/330.

The two tests that I ran just before posting came back with 1706/271 and 1708/267!

I use Skype daily and transfer a lot of data, I rarely have total downtime but the usual dips occur when school is out. Don't forget where you are (Thailand - just in case you needed reminding!), don't expect too much and try to make sure that you get recommendations from users in your locality, the service from all providers varies considerably depending on where you are in town (how good the line in the area is, how new the kit on your route is, how far you are from the box, how many local users etc etc.)

Also, check back through the forum as there have been many discussions on this subject in the past although I do appreciate that current info is always preferred.

Good luck

JxP

Hello,

I spent already some time in CM but it never was possible to have a really stabil and fast internet connection. Next time I will stay close to Hang Dong and I have to make phone calls esp. conferences to Europe with my Computer. Does anybody in Chiang Mai know a solution for a really good internet connection (provider, modem, connection speed). Minimum rate should be real 512 kbps. I am willing to pay up to 5000 Baht monthly. Thank's for help.

I live 2kl from Hangdong and use a satellite system from Acumen Co Ltd.tel 0-2502 3999,dont know much about the how and where but its 4,500 baht/month,speed is always above 512 and 24/7

I live in Ban Wang Tan near the Hang Dong Road and I use Maxnet. Very, very slow. Download speed about 10 kb/s. I'm not kidding.

I had True Cable Internet, 1024/512, 890 baht per month. It was OK was for alot of stuff, but you rarely would get the full download bandwidth when accessing sites from outside Thailand. However I believe this was a problem with the infrastructure between Thailand / SE asia and the rest of the world. There are plans to address this, but we're not likely to see any improvements for a few years.

I live in Ban Wang Tan near the Hang Dong Road and I use Maxnet. Very, very slow. Download speed about 10 kb/s. I'm not kidding.

I had True Cable Internet, 1024/512, 890 baht per month. It was OK was for alot of stuff, but you rarely would get the full download bandwidth when accessing sites from outside Thailand. However I believe this was a problem with the infrastructure between Thailand / SE asia and the rest of the world. There are plans to address this, but we're not likely to see any improvements for a few years.

Yes - but where do you live?

JxP

I'm thinking of dumping my COMPLETELY FREE apartment building LAN (ADSL, works 3 days, outage 1 day, back 5 days, out half day....you got the picture :o ), and scoring a CAT CDMA card for my laptop. Some folks from TV were in town recently; I noticed they seemed to have a decent connection around CM, though I am not sure about speed, cost, coverage area, etc. Does anyone here use this service? Please provide details (cost of PC/MCIA card, monthly cost, plan terms/commitment, etc.). Thanks for any info!

McG

I have TTT Maxnet 512/256 and pay 800 baht, I have three voip phone lines, and three computers. I have been very happy with the performance. I have thought about upgrading but don't see the need. I live behind the market kad Farang out near Hang Dong and have been using the service for 3 years.

Yeah, I use True and it is 890 a month and I think same plan.

It is usable for real time gaming type stuff that I need it for, but skype is a bit sketchy sometimes. It is also generally slow and will take 17 months to download a movie. I get like 6k a sec I'd guess.

I live on nimman btw. Though not sure how that affects it.

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

Yeah, I use True and it is 890 a month and I think same plan.

It is usable for real time gaming type stuff that I need it for, but skype is a bit sketchy sometimes. It is also generally slow and will take 17 months to download a movie. I get like 6k a sec I'd guess.

I live on nimman btw. Though not sure how that affects it.

i have the same problem with the wizard, im using true with 1024/512. i just came back to chiang mai. i had the same downloading problem allready before i left more than 3 months ago. max downloading speed 22 and when downloading torrents not more than 2kbps normally 0kbps, finally had enough and now looking a new operator.

Hi all,

What about highspeed internet in Sankamphaeng area?

I live in Tonpao, near Bosang...

I used csloxinfo as provider and the dialspeed is very bad in evening here. Sometimes 3 minutes to download a TV page!..

Better at night and in the morning...

Cheers

Not changing the subject, but TT&T or TOT recently laid new cable pipe down the east side of the klong road (Klongchonprathan Road, at the foot of Doi Suthep, south of Suthep Road), and the rumour says they will soon offer a high speed ADSL to their customers. Has anybody heard about this? Not sure how far they laid the cable, such as south of the outer ring road that goes to Samoeng. That part of the klong road, going south to San Patong, is being widened.

I suspect that any ADSL should beat these results I just got on CSLoxinfo by dialup:

Download Speed: 23 kbps (2.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 120 kbps (15 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm thinking of dumping my COMPLETELY FREE apartment building LAN (ADSL, works 3 days, outage 1 day, back 5 days, out half day....you got the picture :o ), and scoring a CAT CDMA card for my laptop. Some folks from TV were in town recently; I noticed they seemed to have a decent connection around CM, though I am not sure about speed, cost, coverage area, etc. Does anyone here use this service? Please provide details (cost of PC/MCIA card, monthly cost, plan terms/commitment, etc.). Thanks for any info!

McG

Currently investigating the same thing for myself. If you look on the technology forum and do a search on CDMA you'll find some useful info.

McG

Currently investigating the same thing for myself. If you look on the technology forum and do a search on CDMA you'll find some useful info.

Thanks waveydavey; Crow Boy is on the hunt as well. He is shopping it at Panthip Plaza, TOT, etc. in the next few days.

Will keep you posted on what he and I find out... :D

McG

McG

Thanks waveydavey; Crow Boy is on the hunt as well. He is shopping it at Panthip Plaza, TOT, etc. in the next few days.

Will keep you posted on what he and I find out... :D

McG

Going to check it out tomorrow - currently sitting in a internet cafe with a monitor that has 80 character screen width (I kid you not)

CB

Hi all,

What about highspeed internet in Sankamphaeng area?

I live in Tonpao, near Bosang...

I used csloxinfo as provider and the dialspeed is very bad in evening here. Sometimes 3 minutes to download a TV page!..

Better at night and in the morning...

Cheers

I live in that area and have TOT ADSL 512/256 for 700 baht/month. It's fairly reliable throughout the day and evenings. Can painlessly download podcasts and video files. If I'm not online for an extended period of time I usually have to restart my modem, like in the mornings. No big deal.

Let me know if you need directions to the TOT office in San Kamphaeng.

Here's a current speed test:

post-30832-1184725489_thumb.png

Your actual speed on ADSL (be it TOT or TT&T) is all about the share ratio on your plan. All of the cheap plans <= 1000 Baht/Month have big share ratios (20-50:1) which means lower bandwidth during peak times (afternoons and evenings) and as they also cap international VOIP and P2P speeds they will never be fantastic no matter what.

As a guide, here's the pricing for TT&T MaxNet - TOT's plans are pretty much the same:

Indy Plans (capped VIOP and P2P, share ratio unknown.. suspect 20:1)

256/128 - 590 Baht/Mth

512/256 - 790 Baht/Mth

1024/512 - 1000 Baht/Mth

Note that TT&T are currently running a promotion where you get double speed for free, so long as your bill doesn't fall into arrears. Those who have been signed up for >1 year will already notice it - if you sign up now you will have to wait 1-2 months before you get the extra speed.

For more stable speeds and no VOIP/P2P capping, you'll want to go for one of the Premier or Biz plans, but the prices can get somewhat out of control:

Premier Plans (10:1 share ratio):

256/128 - 1090 Baht/Mth

512/256 - 1990 Baht/Mth

1024/512 - 3400 Baht/Mth

2048/512 - 5200 Baht/Mth

Biz Plans (2:1 share ratio)

256/256 - 5900 Baht/Mth

512/512 - 9500 Baht/Mth

1024/512 - 15900 Baht/Mth

2048/512 - 27500 Baht/Mth

Ouch.

Yeah, Ouch.

That's why I'm hoping (perhaps foolishly) that the CAT CDMA (2.5 GEN) system might be a more cost effective option, for us laptop users.

My very superficial info is that the PC/MCIA card costs around 12,000 THB (double ouch!)

The download/upload speed- anyone's guess, but I'm guessing 1024/512

The monthly cost- don't have a flipping clue.

If it's 600-1000/mo., I'll be signing up tomorrow. :o

McG

Yeah, Ouch.

That's why I'm hoping (perhaps foolishly) that the CAT CDMA (2.5 GEN) system might be a more cost effective option, for us laptop users.

My very superficial info is that the PC/MCIA card costs around 12,000 THB (double ouch!)

McG

http://www.catcdma.com/product/promotion.html

Looks like it's 300B for 20 hrs, 450B for 40 hours (both with 15B/Hr excess usage fees), and 590B for unlimited. I'd want to verify the actual speed, and whether or not these prices are valid for upcountry before committing though. You'll probably also need a phone plan on top of that as well of course.

Yeah, Ouch.

McG

Looks like it's 300B for 20 hrs, 450B for 40 hours (both with 15B/Hr excess usage fees), and 590B for unlimited. I'd want to verify the actual speed, and whether or not these prices are valid for upcountry before committing though. You'll probably also need a phone plan on top of that as well of course.

Phoned CAT this morning and was told it's 590B for unlimited plus 6,000B one-off charge. Maybe this was for the PC/MCIA card - they said I'd have to take my notebook into the shop to have 'something' fitted. Sorry a bit hazy on the details but my girlfriend was translating for me and she's even less of a techie than me. This was in Nan, not sure if same in CM.

Yeah, Ouch.

McG

I checked out a couple of options and ended up with a Sierra Air Card (price at IT City 10,900). It takes a variety of SIMS but for a couple of reasons ended up with a DTAC connection. The DTAC office at Airport Plaza installed it for me - ok in truth I did the install at their help desk because they had some difficulty with the English. Easy as to install. The offer I got was 399B per month for 140Hours. One thing that caused me some confusion was that I needed to give them a copy of my work permit. I thought this odd until I realised I had unknowingly signed up for a post paid service. They also have prepaid but are a bit more expensive. For prepaid they only need a copy of your passport.

Speedwise it seems to be pretty good - at about the same speed as the ADSL I was getting at the internet cafe in San Kamphaeng. I will be interested to see how it goes and will give some more feedback as time goes on.

From my point of view - I couldn't justify the 20,000Baht for the CDMA version plus the monthly fee of 600B plus dialup cost to CAT. From looking at someone using that option it is most probably a better system but much more expensive than I am prepared to pay.

All up this is a great boon for me - I am finally back on line with a (so far) reliable and reasonably priced option.

CB

CrowBoy: you're on GPRS Edge, which AFAIK has a maximum speed of 112kbps in DTAC form. CDMA has a theoretical speed of up to 2mbps, but I'd seriiously doubt CAT are actually giving subscribers that speed.

Back on DTAC, there's a few different plans available:

http://vas.dtac.co.th/Internet_SIM/Internet_SIM.html

20Hrs/Mth - 99 Baht

50Hrs/Mth - 199 Baht

140Hrs/Mth - 399 Baht

(all the above have an excess usage rate of 0.5 Baht/Minute)

Unlimited - 999 Baht

You can also elect to go for bandwidth limited plans, but that's effectively financial suicide IMHO - beware.

I've been using DTAC GPRS for the past 3 years or so now, just as a backup (for the inevitable DSL outages) and as a roaming connection - it's very reliable, but for me too slow for normal everyday usage. YMMV though of course.

CrowBoy: you're on GPRS Edge, which AFAIK has a maximum speed of 112kbps in DTAC form. CDMA has a theoretical speed of up to 2mbps, but I'd seriiously doubt CAT are actually giving subscribers that speed.

Back on DTAC, there's a few different plans available:

http://vas.dtac.co.th/Internet_SIM/Internet_SIM.html

20Hrs/Mth - 99 Baht

50Hrs/Mth - 199 Baht

140Hrs/Mth - 399 Baht

(all the above have an excess usage rate of 0.5 Baht/Minute)

Unlimited - 999 Baht

You can also elect to go for bandwidth limited plans, but that's effectively financial suicide IMHO - beware.

I've been using DTAC GPRS for the past 3 years or so now, just as a backup (for the inevitable DSL outages) and as a roaming connection - it's very reliable, but for me too slow for normal everyday usage. YMMV though of course.

You are correct re the plans and connection with DTAC - my card is a Sierra Wireless 775 and I am using the 399Baht 140 hour plan. I am actually very pleased with it. I live out in San Kamphaeng and the speed is very good. Obviously the time it takes to load pages depends on size and content but with Thai Visa it is fine. The banners sometimes take a while but not to an irritating degree. At my job we had a wifi system but I think this connection is faster than what I was getting there. I tried the connection in Airport plaza and it was very good. It will depend on network congestion and content. I don't download music or movies from the net so the load times are good. I considered the unlimited access but at this stage I don't think I can justify it.

Compared to what I had to put up with at the local internet cafe this has been 10,000 Baht well worth spending. I can't install a house line here mainly because I need the house papers and the owner is in the UK and can't/won't send them to me. Plus it would take 3-4 months before the install. The EDGE card is an easy and cost effective alternative.

When I was thinking about this I saw the CDMA/CAT combination in action - it is definitely faster but the mitigating circumstance was that it was being used in the middle of Chiang Mai which is different to my local connection in the boon docks. What will be interesting is that I will sometime in the near future be heading up into the mountains where the only connection is by mobile phone. I will take my laptop and the card to see if it is still a workable proposition way up there.

CB

I will take my laptop and the card to see if it is still a workable proposition way up there.

As long as you get a tower signal it should work. However, the further away from a tower (lower the signal strength) the slower it will become. Found this with my mobile/EDGE connection at home. I used to just sit the phone flat on my desk connected to USB and found the speed kept fluctuating including really slow speeds to TV. I noticed the signal strength indicators changing. Hung the phone vertically on my window blinds and the signal strength remained full and connection speed more consistent.

What will be interesting is that I will sometime in the near future be heading up into the mountains where the only connection is by mobile phone. I will take my laptop and the card to see if it is still a workable proposition way up there.

CB

I have used DTAC GPRS everywhere - it works, but the speed varies considerably. I've even got on and done email in the middle of nowhere in Isaan with 1 bar of signal strength.

What type of CDMA is it CAT are offering? Is it anything like the Japanese or European version of 3G?

When Sweden converted to 3G a few years ago, it required erecting a completely new set of towers (is that the correct term for those high steel structures?) and the coverage area is still a lot smaller than the regular GSM network.

What type of CDMA is it CAT are offering? Is it anything like the Japanese or European version of 3G?

When Sweden converted to 3G a few years ago, it required erecting a completely new set of towers (is that the correct term for those high steel structures?) and the coverage area is still a lot smaller than the regular GSM network.

Meadish,

CAT telecom uses CDMA2000 1xEV-DO capable up to 2.4Mbps. If anyone can make sense out of that. but from what i have read a few weeks back on wikipedia, CDMA is considered 2G! and W-CDMA as 3G(not available in Thailand) .

Reference on CDMA

yes, offering 3G, means a whole new set of investments and thats why some feel that perhaps Thailand gives a skip on 3G and move on to WIMAX.