Laying Japanese grass on top of concrete?

We bought some sods of Japanese grass at a garden store yesterday for 16 baht for 100x40cm. It's so cheap that we decided to experiment with it. 

We bought bags of top soil and layered it around 5/8 inch thick on top of a concrete area and placed a few sods on top. 

We're looking at topping a large concrete area with it. We're not going to break the concrete just to do it. It would be watered every morning and evening. 

Is there a better way? More topsoil, less topsoil, no topsoil, forget the whole plan of placing it on concrete? 

Edited by JeffersLos

I have never seen it done before but i have seen lots of grass that just

grew over top of cement.

Not sure if it would work but sure give it a try!

Is there a way that extra water(heavy rain)can drain away?

If it is level you could probably just flood irrigate it.

As long as it gets water it should be fine,you can always feed it from the top.

Sounds like a good project.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 10:32 PM, JeffersLos said:

We bought some sods of Japanese grass at a garden store yesterday for 16 baht for 100x40cm. It's so cheap that we decided to experiment with it. 

We bought bags of top soil and layered it around 5/8 inch thick on top of a concrete area and placed a few sods on top. 

We're looking at topping a large concrete area with it. We're not going to break the concrete just to do it. It would be watered every morning and evening. 

Is there a better way? More topsoil, less topsoil, no topsoil, forget the whole plan of placing it on concrete? 

That would be a short term plan, a few weeks to a few months at best. Without drainage - root rot, yellowing and mortality will occur.  Go with plastic grass. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drtreelove said:

That would be a short term plan, a few weeks to a few months at best. Without drainage - root rot, yellowing and mortality will occur. 

The Japanese grass that I am testing is the most beautiful, thin blades, and actually looks artificial because it is so perfect. 

They also sell sod strips of other species, the thicker, hardier grasses.

There is a flat sandy and stony area near us that has concrete areas and has the thicker bladed scrub style of grass growing on it naturally. It looks like it was a concrete area that builders left lots of sand on it years ago, and the hardy grass took over it. 

I guess the less beautiful hardier species of grasses are less prone to root rot due to drainage issues?