Knuckle sandwich

Deserted

15 hours ago, Deserted said:

Is there an expression in thai for 'knuckle sandwich'?

Courtesy of Google Bard:

Yes, there are a few Thai slang expressions or idioms with the same meaning as the English "knuckle sandwich". Some of these include:

• หมัดหน้า (muad naa) - literally "fist face", meaning a punch in the face
  • หมัดลอย (muad loi) - literally "flying fist", meaning a punch thrown from a distance
  • กำปั้นลั่น (kampan lan) - literally "exploding fist", meaning a powerful punch
  • กระบาลแตก (krabal taek) - literally "split skull", meaning a blow to the head that causes a wound
  • มึนหัว (meun hua) - literally "dizzy head", meaning a blow to the head that causes disorientation

These expressions are all used to describe a punch in the face, and they can be used in a variety of contexts, both serious and humorous. For example, you might say "เดี๋ยวจะได้หมัดหน้า" (dieo ja dai muad naa) to someone who is annoying you, meaning "You're going to get a punch in the face". Or, you might say "ไอ้นั่นโดนกำปั้นลั่นไปทีเดียว" (ai nun don kampan lan pai ti diao) to describe someone who has been knocked out, meaning "He got one good punch and he was out cold".

In addition to these slang expressions, there are also a few Thai idioms that can be used to describe a punch in the face. For example, you might say "ตบหน้า" (tob naa) to describe a public humiliation, or "ซ้ำเติม" (sam tem) to describe a situation where someone is making a difficult situation even worse.

So, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to threaten someone with a punch in the face, you'll be well-equipped with a variety of Thai expressions to choose from. Just be careful not to actually throw any punches, as assault is still a crime in Thailand!

19 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Courtesy of Google Bard:

you'll be well-equipped with a variety of Thai expressions to choose from. "

Oh, oh!

Such a smart bard,  but the only really useful advice he didn't give: don't ever say something like this. You will get into a lot of trouble. You are not in Kansas anymore!

Better not to know all these expressions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Lorry said:

you'll be well-equipped with a variety of Thai expressions to choose from. "

Oh, oh!

Such a smart bard,  but the only really useful advice he didn't give: don't ever say something like this. You will get into a lot of trouble. You are not in Kansas anymore!

Better not to know all these expressions. 

Depends on how it is said, which may be done in jest.

2 hours ago, Deserted said:

Depends on how it is said, which may be done in jest.

Your Thai must be good if you can be sure that Thais realize you are speaking in jest. They often don't realize it. The cultural background is different,  and some things one just doesn't say in jest.

If your Thai were so good you wouldn't have to ask this question in the first place. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

Your Thai must be good if you can be sure that Thais realize you are speaking in jest. They often don't realize it. The cultural background is different,  and some things one just doesn't say in jest.

Open your mind a little and it's easy to think of many ways this could be used without offending. My girlfriend and I jest with each other. Either of us could say it and both laugh about it. There's a waitress in my building I can jest with as well, or if she were complaining to me about another customer I could quietly tell her to go give them a knuckle sandwich. We would both laugh. Nobody is offended. If I heard the term on an old Thai movie, or used by another person, in jest or otherwise, I would like to be familiar with the term and know what they said. Why do you assume the OP is going to go out and start threatening random people with a knuckle sandwich? Seems like a simple, straightforward question to me.

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

If your Thai were so good you wouldn't have to ask this question in the first place.

My Thai is pretty good, but I had no idea how to say 'knuckle sandwich'. I find it both informative and entertaining. Are you here to help or be a snob? 

1 minute ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

My Thai is pretty good, but I had no idea how to say 'knuckle sandwich'. I find it both informative and entertaining. Are you here to help or be a snob? 

A lot of things in Thai are dangerous to say if you don't know very well in what situation,  with whom,  in which intonation to say them. I mean physically dangerous.

Furthermore, slang expressions from the mouth of a foreigner can sound very inappropriate in any language.