Self Defense

girlx

A long metal flashlight is better.

That is why the police carry them. :D

You'd look like a cat burglar carrying around a 15" long maglite! :o Great tool to clobber something with though...

A guy would keep it in his gym bag. It is probably too easy to take it away from a girl. :D

What's the girl going to do. Blind him with it?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help wondering what the need is to stay around trouble.

I'd be out of there by now.

well since this keeps coming up, i'll tell you. i really like where i live. i went all over thailand before i found the place for me. i got an amazing deal on a house (5000b/mo rent). i had a phone line and ADSL installed (so I can work), cable tv, hot shower- none of those are easy in an isolated place like this. my boyfriend built a bar on the land. i have 3 dogs, who are a pain in the ass but whom i would hate to just abandon. i have 2 computers, tvs, lots of "stuff" here. 90% of my good friends (mostly farang i must admit) are here at some point during the year. i love the lifestyle. i have been living here for 3 years with the intention of staying permantly, and just leaving to travel elsewhere in rainy season.

leaving would entail packing up and moving or more likely throwing out all my crap. abandoning my dogs who i have already spent a lot of time trying to find homes for. abandoning my boyfriend and our bar. losing a dependable internet connection which puts my job at risk. paying a lot of money to hang out in a hotel until i found another place in the world. and then being in that new place without the people (and in the case of dogs, things) i love. i do not, like most of you, have a home or family to go back to in my home country, or friends that i even keep in touch with much anymore. this is my home.

so that's why this attitude of "you are just another farang tourist, so leave" bothers me. i knew when i moved here it would be hard to adapt to a different culture (imagine for a second, really, living as a farang girl alone in a small thai village full of people who have mostly never been anywhere else and are stuck in their weird mindset), and i knew there was an underbelly here too. but you have to roll with the punches and i try to anticipate them before they come. it helps to come on this board and get advice. i have a hard time getting help from the locals.

p.s. i should add that i have never i my life before i came to thailand stayed in one place for more than 3-6 months. this is the longest i have ever stayed anywhere in my life! i am well acquainted with "leaving", but i just don't want to leave this place.

Edited by girlx

In my opinion, the only real option you have is to use a gun and only if you learn to use it - it is not difficult - and only if you know that you can fire it at a human being. Your boyfriend could keep one legally and you could "borrow" it in a matter of life or death. Other weapons are too easy to take away from a woman.

If you are not willing to use a gun, you can just hope that no one bothers you and pray a lot. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

By Peace Blondie:

We're having reports here that some posters are not giving this subject the gravity and respect that it deserves. As an absolute pacifist, I never know what kind of martial arts, surgical weapons, chemical spray, etc., might be effective. You could choke him with a Bible, hit him over the head with a Koran, stab him with some sharpened Buddhist Scriptures....I've heard that silver crosses are very effective against werewolves, but I think you need to shove the sharpened end of the cross through the werewolf's chest and heart.....where's Wolfie when we need him?

A fun and thoughtful post, PB! Being a bit cynical, are we?

I think that the OP's original post attracts others who think a lot about fear and violence due to both past and present circumstances. How they/we/I deal with that is an individual choice and those choices are as varied as the human imagination.

After 18 months of flying ambulance helicopter in combat, I cannot imagine anyone who is more anti-violence than myself and have promoted (nonsectarian) peace for decades. But then there is the 'real' world.. There are nutso/violent people out there and they are likely more prevalent than most of us can even imagine.

This thread seems to have drifted away from the OP's intent tho.

She is not out on the street in NYC but in her own home.

I recall an old "Kung <deleted>" TV series episode in which the student questioned his wizened old master about why they teach both peace and a deadly martial art.

"Ah Grasshopper, peace short of surrender." was the brilliant response.

This is the same blind old fart who had a walking-stick knew how to use it.

IMHO, the real enemy is fear. If we are afraid, the very first thing to do is stop being afraid. No one of us can make rational decisions when in that state. When we misplace our self-confidence, fear moves in to occupy that space and we become disabled or, worse yet, victims...

I have taught Martial Arts for over 30 years and I agree most of the Arts are more of a sport than a really destructive defense.

I have had the honor of being taught by some of the best Japanese masters as well as Europeans.

I have taught both the British Police and the American Armey and can tell you that the last thing you want to do is go hand to hand with an assailant.

If you can RUN AWAY, there I no disgrace in running, only wisdom. :o

If you carry an offensive weapon YOU are at risk of being picked up by the police, unless you can give a good reason to have the weapon on your person.

If you are Female and carry a hand bag then a small bottle of spray ammonia cleaner, these can usually be adjusted to spray 6 to 8 ft, aimed at the eyes It is a very effective weapon.

Also carry a small cloth that has been used to clean something, shoes, car windscreen etc.

This is your excuse for carrying the spray.

For a man, as previously stated, a thick belt with a big buckle is quite good to keep someone at a distance also shout at them that you have aids and start spitting at them, it would make any sane person think twice.

In your home as stated before a big club of some sorts is quite good but I prefer a samurai sword but if you want to go for the sward then you MUST get trained to prevent you from cutting your own leg off.

If it comes to Hand To Hand fighting you are literally fighting for your life, you need to be trained well with a good system, the best I have ever taught is called Chin-cok very tough, very nasty, very destructive Not a sport

Best of all DON’T PUT YOUR SELF AN A BAD SITUATION. It’s not TV.

I hope this helps you.

Wise words!!!!

Using a weapon in anger carries the risk of death. You need to ask yourself, can I live with it!!?? It would be with you for the rest of your life and if it was close up and personal, the face would be too!!!!!

By Peace Blondie:

We're having reports here that some posters are not giving this subject the gravity and respect that it deserves. As an absolute pacifist, I never know what kind of martial arts, surgical weapons, chemical spray, etc., might be effective. You could choke him with a Bible, hit him over the head with a Koran, stab him with some sharpened Buddhist Scriptures....I've heard that silver crosses are very effective against werewolves, but I think you need to shove the sharpened end of the cross through the werewolf's chest and heart.....where's Wolfie when we need him?

A fun and thoughtful post, PB! Being a bit cynical, are we?

I think that the OP's original post attracts others who think a lot about fear and violence due to both past and present circumstances. How they/we/I deal with that is an individual choice and those choices are as varied as the human imagination.

After 18 months of flying ambulance helicopter in combat, I cannot imagine anyone who is more anti-violence than myself and have promoted (nonsectarian) peace for decades. But then there is the 'real' world.. There are nutso/violent people out there and they are likely more prevalent than most of us can even imagine.

This thread seems to have drifted away from the OP's intent tho.

She is not out on the street in NYC but in her own home.

I recall an old "Kung <deleted>" TV series episode in which the student questioned his wizened old master about why they teach both peace and a deadly martial art.

"Ah Grasshopper, peace short of surrender." was the brilliant response.

This is the same blind old fart who had a walking-stick knew how to use it.

IMHO, the real enemy is fear. If we are afraid, the very first thing to do is stop being afraid. No one of us can make rational decisions when in that state. When we misplace our self-confidence, fear moves in to occupy that space and we become disabled or, worse yet, victims...

the real enemy is fear. If we are afraid, the very first thing to do is stop being afraid. No one of us can make rational decisions when in that state. When we misplace our self-confidence, fear moves in to occupy that space and we become disabled or, worse yet, victims...

SPOT ON!

I was being attacked by what seemed to be a 'beginner' rapist in a quiet corner outside a club in London when I decided to stop panicking. I calmed down, looked straight at him in the eyes, started speaking to distract him and managed to talk him out of it. I knew I had to totally believe and rely on myself. He actually enjoyed the conversation! I bumped into him a few months later at a busy bus stop. He was creepingly kind and apologised for what he tried to do, that's when I got shivers down my spine, jumped on the first bus and disappeared.

I also had an unwelcome visitor to my bungalow Koh Phan Ngan pointing his flashlight at me so that I . I deliberately built up so much anger filled with adrenaline that he went away without saying anything.

again, good replies- i am still looking for pepper spray and i am primed to run if i can... but if there is any psychiatric nurse or someone who knows one on this board i would love to have your advice!

OK, if you're serious enough to ask for the advice of a psychiatric professional, then I think you need to be more clear on what exactly this guy does to make you or others worried.

Previously you've said he's "Psychotic" and "schizo". Have you done reading to be sure that those are the exact descriptions of his problems? Could he be autistic? Bipolar? Does he have paranoid tendencies? Possibly his behaviour is influenced or has been caused by drink or drugs?

Secondly, are you completely fluent in Thai? As a native speaker? If not, how do you think you can "talk down" someone who is not in their right mind, when you can't even express some ideas correctly in their language?

I'm with Mr Toad - don't even try, unless you really know what you're doing. His post was spot on.

Thank you, Novemebr Rain. I am a Psych professional, but it seems that she is looking for some validation on a different course of action. Plenty of people have given her sensible advice, but she is still not listening.

Novemebr Rain, you made a very good point about speaking the language. It is difficult enough talking someone down in your own language, I'd go as far to say that it is probably nearly impossible if you are not fluent in the MP's language.

I'm not going to comment much more on this, she should have the abilty to make a decision on this now as she has had plenty of different opinions and advice.

Edited by mrtoad

Thank you, Novemebr Rain. I am a Psych professional, but it seems that she is looking for some validation on a different course of action. Plenty of people have given her sensible advice, but she is still not listening.

why would you not comment? and why do you think i am not listening? i have taken all the advice into consideration and have a plan, however if you are a psych professional why in the world could you not give me advice on how to deal with a psychotic patient off his meds?

why would you not comment? and why do you think i am not listening? i have taken all the advice into consideration and have a plan, however if you are a psych professional why in the world could you not give me advice on how to deal with a psychotic patient off his meds?

You cannot deal with them , the only thing what you could do is letting him go in therapy , which is ulikely they will

go attend , lets say admit they have a problem.

They have one big problem , it is themselves . If really sick of czesofrenia or something like that ,it is the sickness who makes them like how they are now . Him the boyfriend can't do much about that , but medication can turn them down , but with many side affects . I have got experience with that . People who seem psychotic many times do have a piece of that or are sensitive

cause they are in a form of depression . The only thing you can do when choosing to live with such a person is to be quite and not to fuel them more because of their agression and being frustrated in the mind .

I am not a professional or anything like that but got some experience with people like this.

Most of the time it ends up with leaving this person is the only solution, cause they are not willing to do anything about 'their' problem.

I do not think you want to stay the rest of your entire life living with a tirant . You also can look at yourself , why I let this happen to me , why allow this to happen to me ? It can tell you something more , knowing yourself.

inspired by the firearms thread... i live alone (solo female) on an island in the south, and lately there have been many incidents which have shown me that i need some sort of protection for myself nowadays. i have 3 big dogs, but their bark is worse than their bite, and some of the people who might be a threat would know the dogs already. i don't want a gun- i would probably shoot myself in an episode of PMS or something. pepper spray? that's not really that effective is it? there is one mental patient in my village who was oblivious to the blows by 4 large men when he recently went through town waving a knife at people. i doubt pepper spray would deter him if i had a problem with him. does anyone have any good suggestions?
AK47, ,no seriously though i was at a car boot in chon buri and i saw a used pair of sandals that were at leat a size 20 ! huge,i bought em ,. my missus thought i was mad, ( probably right ) any way i take em home and leave em on the doorstep, would you break into a house if thought a giant lived in there ? ,kids loved em :o Edited by mikethevigoman

the patient is probably now locked in the hospital - or the community can put him there.

- get another dog, which doesn't bark but bites

- stay with somebody

- don't keep valuables home (use deposit box in the bank and money on account)

- install alarm system and carry one with you

- put barrs in the windows

- talk to neighbours to give each other protection and eventually mobilise cops to do something

- got a pepper or CS spray, don't keep in the handbag but in the pocket, ready to use within second

there are as well electric shock devices - from my experience pepper or CS spray maybe is good against dogs, but not always against drunkards, they just don't feel pain

I cant beleive what im reading, id just move,sounds like a terrible area !

inspired by the firearms thread... i live alone (solo female) on an island in the south, and lately there have been many incidents which have shown me that i need some sort of protection for myself nowadays. i have 3 big dogs, but their bark is worse than their bite, and some of the people who might be a threat would know the dogs already. i don't want a gun- i would probably shoot myself in an episode of PMS or something. pepper spray? that's not really that effective is it? there is one mental patient in my village who was oblivious to the blows by 4 large men when he recently went through town waving a knife at people. i doubt pepper spray would deter him if i had a problem with him. does anyone have any good suggestions?

If you hit anyone with pepper spray in the face, they will have trouble breathing, be unable to see and be quite incapacitated. In any event, you should be able to make your escape and that is the goal in any self defense. You should always carry it with you, and they have clip-ons. Keep it on your bedside table. Practice how to use it quickly. At home, get a baseball bat, (you can find them in Chinatown at Khlong tom flea market in Chinatown in Bangkok) and practice swinging it in close quarters. Learn how to move forward fast and swing sideways and low for the legs and knees and groin, and not downward or upward which can be blocked or grabbed and taken away from you. Even a good shin shot will bring anyone down. If you can't find a baseball bat, go to the hardware store and buy a farming implement long wood handle, and have them cut it down to a long club size. Also, those Thai cheap hooked long cutter garden tools would be a good weapon to have close by.

I would highly suggest that every single woman get self defense training. There is a guy who recently advertise a Krav self defense program in Pattaya. I would go do it. Search the sports threads maybe for that.

Finally, I would strongly suggest a backup weapon at your bedside, perhaps under the bed in reach. This is in case you are surpised in bed. Buy a large pointed knife, and in the worst case you will have to use this. Again, practice reaching for it from bed in sleeping position, and make sure the handle is always in the same place. However, I highly discourage using a knife in any other situation without lots of training.

Finally, on the street, make sure you wear a belt, which you can also swing as a weapon with the buckle end in a confrontation.

I was at jenny star bar the other night, i has a surprise in bed !. jeez i have to say if i had to consider all this id move,!

well he's not my boyfriend he is my neighbor, and he is on meds, but has a history of derangement when he doesn't take them

I am sorry I did not read the beginning of your thread .

Anyway it is the same scenario , at least you not have to sleep with this scum , thank God.

As I understand you do not feel leaving your place , I should consider that one more time.

Isn't there another nice similar place on the island ?

I mean paying a bit more can unload all the pressure at once .

People who have this ailment can turn violent , and I do not think you like the thought living next to such.

I've just spent the last week on a personal safety course in preparation for my next assignment to Saudi Arabia.

The advice I was given is consistent with the advice I was given on the last two such courses I attended.

The best defence you have is to trust your instincts – If your instincts are telling you a place or situation is not safe, then it almost certainly is not – Listen to your instincts and trust what they are telling you.

If you once escape a dangerous situation never go back, not to collect anything/anyone, not with the police or anyone else that you would normally trust – You have been lucky once, do not push your luck.

Do not carry a weapon - you probably do not know how to use it – you are probably not psychologically capable of using it – Attacks happen so qucikly that you probably would not ahve time to use it - You may very well be brining the only weapon to a danagerous situation and it may be taken off you and used on you. A weapon immediately raises the stakes and the tensions. For all the reasons above a weapon may create a false sense of security leading you to go into places/situations you ought to avoid – Again back to trusting your instincts.

The single most common factor in dangerous situations is alcohol - Moderate your drinking in new situations/company and be very observant of the drinking/behaviour of others around you.

Now for all those gun toting rednecks who believe they are man enough to carry and use a weapon, the course I have just been on is run by the UK government and staffed by ex special forces (The real ones, not those dreamers sitting on bar stools down Soi No Hope).

Girlx, if you don't feel safe, move to where you do.

[/quote Superb advise ,a gut feeling is usually right, go with it,. i know a guy that carried a knife, 2 guys went to mug him so he pulled it, .big mistake he was shaking so much he dropped it one of the muggers picked it up and stabbed him, he was very lucky not to die,.DONT have a go, it only works in the movies, heed this guys advice, be aware,.

at least you not have to sleep with this scum , thank God.

aw he's not scum because he has a mental illness. unfortunately that attitude is all too prevalent in thailand and the people who have mental problems do not often get the help they deserve.

been looking for psychiatric publications talking about the link between psychosis and violence and how to deal with it- here is some advice from one i found:

-Assure patient of their safety

-Maintain an open exit for both parties

-Never turn your back on patient

-Maintain a distance of 6-8 feet

-Try to project calmness

-Adopt a non-confrontational posture with hands in view, avoid prolonged eye contact

-Allow patient to vent or express feelings

-Try to identify the predominant concern and attempt to acknowledge their feelings

-Do not bargain- set clear limits/options

-Suggest medication as a means to regain control

they also suggested having tranquilizers on hand but how to get the patient to take them i don't know

Edited by girlx

A few things stand out in this thread that I felt I would respond to.

There is a lot of strong feeling on the subject of farang self defence in Thailand, with many comments from people that do not come from backgrounds of needing to be primed for such self defence reaction on a day to day basis. The number of posts indicates that this issue has touched many people who stay in Thailand, long term or short term. The Thai media has many such incidents every week that would seldom occur in farangland. My conclusion can be summed up: "Hey Dorothy, You're Not in Kansas Anymore...."

Example:

I'm British & while I was living there & being brought up, weapons just weren't something you carried or used. In fact it was even against the law to carry items modified to be weapons. Could that be why I'm so against weapons, while many other members are pro them?

Thailand has a different culture to the West and part of that is what attracts many people, there is a dark flip side to that coin that is often ignored/forgotten. The darker side leaks out in the blood splattered headlines which give the insight as you read amazed that Khun Thai stabbed Khun Farang over the slightest problem. Don't judge the limitations of the actions of others by your personal or national moral code.

If the Burmese workers that you consider a hassle standing outside 7-11 judge you as a farang woman to be the same as those they have seen jump into bed 5 times during 007 movies, and those movies are the only place Burmese construction workers have seen farang women anything else will be alien to them. Consider the pirate DVDs that circulate KP and Samui, as a farang you might enjoy the latest Harry Potter or Bridget Jones Diary, there is also plenty of porn staring nice white Europe women that attract Asian men in the same way the reverse is true. You may see yourself as a confident and indepentant internet business women those around you do not measure you that way.

i think you are being a bit naive to think where you are is perfectly safe

yeah hence why i am asking for advice, especially on talking down a mental patient

but if there is any psychiatric nurse or someone who knows one on this board i would love to have your advice!

With all due respect to you Girlx, who is being naive?

If a mental patient is under medical supervision and breaks his (her) medication program, even if you speak perfect Thai/Burmese/Lao do you really have the linguistic skills let alone the technical skills to "talk down" a premeditated attacker within a few seconds. At that point in such an incident you are already into the physical action phase of self defence, it is fight or flight not avoidance.

This is without the normal Thai-farang language problems of a Thai (other) not expecting a farang to be able to speak their language so just tune out ignore any words that appear to be coming from you as opposed to the voices in his (her) head urging them on. What if the attacker is deaf, can you use sign language quickly ?

The advice that is coming out in this whole thread is directed to assist at the point of physical attack. The talking phase has been passed you need to accept that you need to be ready to react, like the poster that talks about keeping a particular weapon's handle in the same place so you can always find it, you need to practice your emergency response. It's why the various services practice and train repeatedly, the response is effective because it is delivered correctly each time. If you to use a baseball bat to hit someone at 3am, learn what it feels like during the day to hit a fence post HARD, the shock will hurt your hands too. Accept that you might need to meet force with force, how you meter out that force is in your control.

The Tasers are a good thing to have, the ones that fire out the electrodes are preferable. You'll need to import those ones as well.
You need to train to use these effectively, you need to shock the target enough to take them down - then use that time to cuff them or escape. Assuming you hit the target and there is only one attacker.

I would suggest that you consider the different stages of an attack and your response to each stage given the situation. If your first line of defence is not availible what is next in line. If the chilli spray has no effect because you have not refreshed it for a few weeks you need to use your back up or escalation resource a handgun (I would suggest a short barrel .38 revolver over anything more exotic).

Also, try to get to know the family/people this guy lives with as much as possible.

The more you understand him & the more you communicate with them, the better, I'd think...

Again this is all before an attack and only applies to one possible person, consider the flip side. How often has a rape case been reported where the attacker was well known to the victim before the incident and the court in the West finds that there is not the evidence to say that this was not really a date. Again the culture comes into play and I'm sorry to say if the defence call up other witnesses to say you are a farang women with many Thai/farang boyfriends you don't have a chance. And this phase would be about getting justice after the event.
"i got an amazing deal on a house (5000b/mo rent)."

"...but i just don't want to leave this place."

"i am guessing just crushed chilis in water? anyone know a recipe? "

"i have a hard time getting help from the locals."

You expect help from the locals? Why would the local Thais help you? The Thai reaction to most events is not to get involved.

If you are renting from a Thai, the amazing deal may go South if there is trouble involving the police. You seems to have some strength of feeling to stand your ground.

Whether you make a DIY Chilli oil/alcohol spray (test on a random soi dog, if you are anti-animal testing wait until it's needed for real?), buy mace or pepper spray, you need to consider what course of action you are prepared to take to stay where you are.

Best sentance in the whole two weeks of this thread....

Girlx, you need to get prepared and stop talking about it!

Some practical suggestions from someone who has been there:

1. Pepper spray is not effective against drunks or those people who are mentally incompetent. However, pure strength ammonia is...put some in a plastic lemon-shaped squeeze bottle or anything else that is odd-shaped and easy to pick out of a purse. Apply generously to an attackers eyes. He will drop like a rock. And you can keep the ammonia dispenser by the bedside at night.

2. Do you have a nail file? I'm sure you do. Put it in your purse where you can quickly get to it if you sense danger. If a possible attacker approaches you, keep the file hidden in your hand and if the need arises, go for the person's eyes. You will get one chance to surprise your attacker...make the most of it.

3. Carry a coin bag filled with heavy coins in your purse. The coin bag should have a fairly long string so you can swing it to build up some momentum. Aim your strike at an attacker's nose, eyes or temples.

4. If you are out at night and approaching your car, place your keys between your fingers...one key between each finger. If someone tries to attack you, use a backhand motion to scrape the keys across the attacker's nose and eyes. Then run like hel_l and yell, drawing attention to you.

5. The idea of putting a baseball bat or other type of club under your bed is a good one and so is putting a knife under the bed. But you have to be able to get to them if you are surprised. Having something on the nightstand is more practical. It doesn't have to be big so even a nail file or a pen is adequate. Once again, you will probably only get one chance to surprise the attacker so you have to make your strike lethal or damaging. Oh, by the way, a baseball bat with several nails driven into the end of it is more effective than just a simple baseball bat.

6. If you are worried about someone breaking into your home while you are asleep, don't forget your dogs will alert you. But in addition, you can also create little ambushes along the way for an intruder. Anything that could create sound (empty cans tied on a string and running from the knob of the door to a piece of furniture for instance) works well. Marbles on the floor are diabolical (just don't forget they are there).

There are all kinds of low-cost practical ways of protecting yourself. If you aren't prepared to kill someone, don't even think about a gun. And stun guns are worthless because they can only be used when the attacker is too close. In the best of circumstances, try to keep distance between you and your attacker.

My suggestion is that you think about all the places in your house or on the street where you might be vulnerable. Then think about what you would do in the event of an attack. If an attack then occurs, at least you have thought through what you might do. You can't panic because then you are lost. And above all else, always be aware of the dangers within your environment, whether at home or on the street.

Good luck.

Edited by farang prince

yes i know, had the same conversation with some friends of mine here tonight. i can't help feeling this culture is shit. may end up having to just leave.

Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater, There are some fantastic people here too. Anywhere you go you will have bad people, even evil people. The Caribbean is way more crime ridden than Thailand, Mexico? Malaysia? They all have crime. If you take the time to get a real defense it will not matter to you about the odd nutter, you will have a plan.

at least you not have to sleep with this scum , thank God.

aw he's not scum because he has a mental illness. unfortunately that attitude is all too prevalent in thailand and the people who have mental problems do not often get the help they deserve.

gitlx,

Whatever you do please be sure to keep far distance from that mental illness person. They are known to cause violent crimes. Most victims usually are members of familie or a person who just happen to be near that screw loose person. They commit a heinous crime without realize that they're committing a crime -insane.

Allowing me to tell a story that happened many many years ago in a town called 'Taphanhin' in Pichit province. I was spending a few days with my cousins in this town. One quiet afternoon, suddenly the town turned into freezy horror, a lady seen running passing all the shophouses, hysterical weeping and shouting...." Ay-aang- ka-lahn' ( Aang killed his niece.) repeatedly. Upon hearing that, several strong guys raced to that fatefull house. To their horror, they found a year old bay girl was chopped up into pieces on her mother bed. They followed the blood droppings and found Aang dozed off in the next room. According to the mother, Aang was very good to his niece since the day she was born almost a year ago. He always babysat his niece and liked to carry her around. She also knew that her brother was experiencing some syptom of mental illness like....bursted out laughing to himself, or screeming to whoever walked pass-by, or gone naked on some hot days..., but never show any violent sign. But why suddenly Aang got a meat cleaver and...... Unpredictable soul !

Ok Girlx, you want some advice. Why don't you listen to what I have posted previuosly on this thread.Firstly you have asked for information on self defence, but you are ow moving ont talking a patient down and medicating them

I would strongly adivse you from trying to medicate this person if he is acutely unwell. Medicating someone who is possibly ambivallent, incongurous or beligerent is very risky, hence when a floridly psychotic patient is medicated against his wishes in other countries is it is normally undertaken by at least 4 trained individuals. Remember, someone who is psychotic is very unpredictable and depending on the nature of th psychosis can be very dangerus, throw in Paranoia for example and the risk greatly increases.

I'd just advise you to not put yourself in a position danger, be aware of your environment when he is around and be in a position to exit the area quickly.

Whilst I am sure that he probably does need to be medicated I think you would be very silly to try and medicate him yourself. Normally, in a situation where a person is particualry unwell then medication will often be administered by IM injection. Acute phaseses are normally best treated by the use of an typical anti psychoric at the first point - Haloperidol, Chlorpromazine along with Lorazepam. This shuold ony be used a short term intervention, whereupon an atypical aantipsychotic should be introduced, such as (amisulpride, olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, sertindole or zotepine).

If from what you have said he is regularly non compliant with his medication then depot injections (IM) are normally presecribed and administered by a Nurse such as Modecate Fluphenazine decanoate up to 100 milligrams 1 injection every 1 to 6 weeks according to response and severity of condition.Depixol. Fluphenthixol decanoate up to 400 milligrams 1 injection every 1 to 6 weeks according to response and severity of condition. Haldol Haloperidol decanoate up to 300 milligrams 1 injection every 1 to 6 weeks according to response and severity of condition. Piportil Pipothiazine palmitate up to 200 milligrams 1 injection every 4 weeks. Clopixol Zuclopenthixol Decanoate up to 600 milligrams 1 injection every 4 weeks. Risperdal Consta Risperidone up to 50 milligrams 1 injection every 2 weeks. There are many patients living succesfuly in the community who are maintaned well by these medication, but they do need to be monitored closely for signs of relapse and side affects such as tardive dyskinesia.

If all of these medications are unsuccesful then the final option is Chlozaril. is an antipsychotic medication approved for limited use in the treatment of schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. The reason for the limited approval is that there are several possible serious side effects of Clozaril use, including low white cell count, seizures, inflammation of heart muscle and more. Therefore it needs to be monitored closely by healthcare professionals, with regualar blood checks required. It is however an effective drug for those who are treatment resistant to other typical and atypical medications.

I apologise for the long thread, maybe it gives you some more information, but all of these treatments rely heavily on the support of skilled Mental Health workers and an efficient mental health service. My understanding is that services in Thailand are limited and treatment procedures are a little more dated.

If you can get him to be seen by a proffesional and given the right type of medication then risks can be reduced, but remeber when dealing with humans there is always an air of unpredictabilty. Even Mental Health workers who work in the cmmunity DO NOT GO IN TO SITUATIONS THAT ARE DANGEROUS KNOWINGLY ON THEIR OWN. Believe me, all patients are risk assesed thoroughly using guidelines from NICE,RCP and the NMC, along with local policies to aleviate the risk to others.

I think that you are probably trying to help this guy and if that is the case just be very careful, assess the risk to yourself and the patient. I'd rather move away from the guns, baseball bats, tazers and stuff. But, if that makes you feel more comfortable go ahead.

PM me if you have any further questions. Now, I need a cup of tea.

thanks for that response... i am not really trying to help this guy but i have worked with mentally ill people in the past and understanding that it's not necessarily their fault, would hate to have to resort to violence for any reason other than self defense (which would be bad anyway since this guy is huge for a thai guy). unfortunately, with him living next door and having a history of both not taking his meds and attacking people, then i was hoping that there might be some procedure a mental health professional would follow in dealing with a patient like this. like i said i used to counsel paranoid schizophrenics who forgot their meds over the phone, and a lot of what we would do was just humor them, and patiently try to dissuade them from doing harm to themselves or others. quite a different story when confronted in person though. this guy is on medication and has been in a mental hospital for the past year, but now that he's released and living back in the village i don't believe there is anyone monitoring him. all i can do is suggest he takes his meds regularly and hope for the best. unfortunately, he has become fixated on me, and sits all day long outside on the balcony in one spot, staring at my house. whenever i come outside he jumps all over trying to get me to talk to him. it's ok for now, but i worry what that fixation might turn into if he is in his psychotic mode. i bought a ticket to go away in oct-dec, can't get away before then for various reasons, so just have to cross my fingers and hope nothing happens in the meantime.