Indian tourist influx in Thailand surpasses expectations due to visa exemptions

webfact

12 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

I'm not a fan of so many tourists, no matter where they originate ... can I just time travel back to the 80's when the country had a mere 2 million?

And the place emptied out after high season and was quite pleasant.......

I should have known better when making the decision to retire in a touristy area, but just didn't realize they would need to pack them in so tight!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

I'm not a fan of so many tourists, no matter where they originate ... can I just time travel back to the 80's when the country had a mere 2 million?

The dependence on tourism has transformed the economy in ways that are acutely obvious when one looks at the wreckage of the Covid years, shuttered shops, bankruptcies, island/resort ghost towns and at least a temporary migration back to the rural areas.

The increasing surge of tourists has also done untold environmental damage and demolished the "Thai" way of life.  What were once idyllic islands, fisherman villages and pristine beaches have been transformed into condos, hotels, shopping malls, traffic jams, the list goes on.

Saddened to reflect back on the very things that attracted me to Thailand long ago and realize they are gone forever :jap:

That’s the effect humanity has on the world in general. We all need to go I’m afraid. But yes it would be nice to have it as it was and for most people to stay in their own backyard… esp the high populace countries. :whistling:

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

The dependence on tourism has transformed the economy in ways that are acutely obvious when one looks at the wreckage of the Covid years, shuttered shops, bankruptcies, island/resort ghost towns and at least a temporary migration back to the rural areas.

The increasing surge of tourists has also done untold environmental damage and demolished the "Thai" way of life.  What were once idyllic islands, fisherman villages and pristine beaches have been transformed into condos, hotels, shopping malls, traffic jams, the list goes on.

Saddened to reflect back on the very things that attracted me to Thailand long ago and realize they are gone forever :jap:

Agreed wholeheartedly in regards to how it's ruined Thailand.

The people that have ruined it however are the natives. Their way if life was very quickly swapped for the opportunity to get rich quick from tourism. They continue to build and overdevelop and they have no regard for nature or tradition.

I don't really take note of where the tourists come from. To me, the worst invaders by far are actually the Bangkokians when they travel anywhere. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

It's not surprising, people hate paperwork.

People also hate dealing with the officious self important loathsome embassy staff who seem to work at all embassies around the world including my own.

No visa requirement = massive increases in the number of people who come.

I don't go to places where I need to go to an embassy to get a visa any more - those days of kissing the embassys ass and following all sorts of rules / disclosing personal information are long gone for me.

If it needs a visa then I don't go unless I can get it online and print it out myself - like Cambodia, simple.

The one exception for me is Thailand where I have decided to live, I've got a very long term Thailand Elite membership, which requires minimum fuss, I applied for it online, paid with the bank app and I'm good until 2040.

Edited by ukrules

All of them, indian economy/salaries are way better now and working illegally /overstaying is unlikely to happen in Thailand & Malaysia. Infact i know a lot of workers from India in Malaysia who have gone back for better prospects in India during the last few years. The visa exemption isnt done without a reason.

1 hour ago, ashkale said:

All of them, indian economy/salaries are way better now and working illegally /overstaying is unlikely to happen in Thailand & Malaysia. Infact i know a lot of workers from India in Malaysia who have gone back for better prospects in India during the last few years. The visa exemption isnt done without a reason.

No, not all of them. That is ridiculous.  I suspect those opening businesses in town will not. There is no shortage in that respect.