Palmetto Bugs: Comparative DEARTH in Thailand...Compared to HK, Taiwan, China. Why???

GammaGlobulin

Hi Folks,

Have you ever wondered why there are so few cockroaches in Thailand?

Over the past many years, I think I have seen about only two or three cockroaches in the houses in which I have lived in Thailand.

But, in places like Taiwan, HK and China, it's almost impossible to not see thousands of cockroaches in any given month.

Some people like cockroaches, just because they are so lonely that even the company of a cockroach improves their mood.

In fact, it's almost impossible to rid one's abode of cockroaches if one lives in Taiwan, HK, or China.  And...This is a KNOWN Known, as Rummy loved to say.

So why is this?

I happen to know that there are very few in China who enjoy thousands of cockroaches.

And so, why do they even tolerate them?

Well, of course, they would NOT tolerate them if they could ONLY get RID of them, which they obviously CANNOT!

This is why I enjoyed, so much, living in Thailand.

Also, this is why I love Japan.

No cockroaches.

For sure, I guess I have never seen so very MANY cockroaches as I saw while living in Taiwan.

So, the question begs:

WHY is there such a dearth of cockroaches in Thailand, at least where I live?

Any thoughts?

Is it the Hot Season which accounts for this difference?

Or, is it the food we eat here?

I just do not GET IT....

Anybody know?

Thanks.

This is still such a puzzle to me.

Regards,

Gamma

Note:

image.png.ab8092d352316ea246a7b303b830f544.png

https://ketagalanmedia.com/2019/09/11/taiwans-cockroaches-may-retreat-as-summer-fades-but-theyll-be-back/

Taiwanese Cockroaches can fly anywhere, at the drop of a hat.

They sometimes fly in formation, like WW2 bomber aircraft, and come in through open windows.

This has never happened to me in Thailand....

So...

WHY?

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Any entomologist's on here that can give Gamma the answer he so desperately needs , :whistling: but really we should not encourage him...

regards worgeordie 

My guess is that the relative dearth might be due to Thailand's very dry HOT Season...

Just one of my guesses, though....

Regards,

Note:  Or, maybe the bugs prefer Chinese food....?

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Any entomologist's on here that can give Gamma the answer he so desperately needs ,

I once saw an 11-inch-long cockroach climbing up out of the sewer while walking on Lin Shen Bei Lu, in Taipei, at 2:00AM.

The girl with me was not a bit fazed by the sight of it.

She had seen a few that were even larger.

Regards,

Gamma

2 most popular species in Thailand are the Blatella Germanica and Periplaneta Americana, and as their names translate, the smaller German Cockroach and the larger American Cockroach.

Having lived in Singapore for years, The American Cockroach is quiet plevalant, due to the higher humidity.

Can say I see about 1 a month in Jomtien, luckily upside down and dead. However one did land on me 3 days ago whilst having a late evening fag on the balcony. Put the boot in as can't stand them. 

The worst ones have got to be the big Australian ones up in North Queensland. 

The rainy season will force them up from the sewers (humid environment) , so more abundant around that time. Hence why they tend to appear in bathrooms, as it's  wet, warm and humid.

Don't like cool / cold environments, so keep the AirCon on.

The biggest cockroach I ever saw was in BKK in 2013 when we were staying for a couple of weeks in a 1-room bit of a rather downmarket block ...  A roach the size of a mouse ran out one day from under the bed.

I thought that was the roach of roaches but, as I see above, apparently not.

Here at home in south Surin I see about 2 or 3 every week, 'normal' size, but only if I haven't renewed the anti-gecko/snake spray ...

If you are in Bangkok when there is flooding you will see millions of roaches swarming out of the drains. In the moobahn where we used to live in Nonthaburi, every 6 months the local authority would come around a spray poison gas down into the roadside drains. Came home one afternoon after such a spraying to find 57 dead roaches of all types in the last throws of death under our car port. 

Roaches are legion in Bangkok or any city with proper drains and sewers.

By contrast , since moving to wifes village where only cess pits are used havn't seen one big roach. Only small ones about 1 cm long and not even a lot of those.

In Bangkok there were always a few jing joks around bumping of mosquitoes.  Here , of an evening there are often 12 on the front balcony alone if the light is on. Always half a dozen hiding in the house <deleted>ting all over the place. Difficult to control.

But you should see how big the termites can get :

On topic

Man blows up apartment trying to kill a cockroach :

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/japan/japan-man-apartment-cockroach-b2464635.html

A 54-year-old Japanese man accidentally caused an explosion in his apartment while attempting to kill a cockroach.

He reportedly used a large amount of insecticide to kill the pest on 10 December which led to the explosion in his apartment in Kumamoto on the island of Kyushu, about 230 miles southwest of Hiroshima, around midnight.

The police reported minor injuries to the resident and identified burn marks near his kotatsu, a Japanese heating table, according to Mainichi.

The unidentified man spotted a cockroach in his apartment in the city’s Chuo Ward and in an attempt to kill the pest, sprayed a large amount of insecticide.

A moment later, the apartment blew up, Kumamoto prefectural police said.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:27 AM, Denim said:

In Bangkok there were always a few jing joks around bumping of mosquitoes.  Here , of an evening there are often 12 on the front balcony alone if the light is on. Always half a dozen hiding in the house <deleted>ting all over the place. Difficult to control.

JinJoks are OK outside.  But, not good inside, especially in the kitchen.

I don't like the sound they make when in the living room or the study area.

How do I get rid of the ones inside the house???

Any good ideas...from anyone reading this comment???

I don't like their droppings....hard to clean....and quite acidic, IMHO.