Will Insulin Freeze In An Aircarft Baggage Hold?

Mobi

I'm off for two weeks and need to carry about a month's worth of insulin with me (in case I fall ill when I'm out of the country)

I used to bring it all on as cabin luggage, but with the new restrictions I may have a problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the temperature is in the baggage hold of a plane, and whether any stowed insulin will freeze, because if so it will be ruined.

Come to think of it, it brings into question whether other liquids so stored would freeze - booze, perfume etc.

Any experts out there?

Thanks

Mobi

The answer is that your insulin or anything else definitely will not freeze as the cargo compartments of modern commercial jets are pressurized the same as the cabin and temperature controlled. As best I remember the cargo compartments are usually kept around 60F (15C) give or take a few degrees. You asked for an expert opinion and my experience is 35 years as an airline pilot. :o

Hi Mobi,

In june I travelled to Europe with my medication (some of it liquid) in my hand luggage.

I however have a prescription for all this medicines which I can show on demand. At Abu Dhabi airport I had to show it to the security person and that was it. The other airports (Frankfurt and Bangkok) didn't even ask for the prescription, so If you don't have one, go get it at any of the hospitals in town, and you should be OK.

Cheers, good luck and have a nice trip. :o

Onzestan

The answer is that your insulin or anything else definitely will not freeze as the cargo compartments of modern commercial jets are pressurized the same as the cabin and temperature controlled. As best I remember the cargo compartments are usually kept around 60F (15C) give or take a few degrees. You asked for an expert opinion and my experience is 35 years as an airline pilot. :D

Thanks Getjock - that has reassured me.

being risk averse, I have always carried the insulin on the plane with me in case my checked in bags go astray.

However, under these new liquid rules, even though in theory I should be all right, I can't take the risk that some idiot at the airport decides to confiscate the insulin, as if so, I would have to cancel my trip because I can't go without it.

I will also try to get a prescription.

Good advice - thanks everyone :o

Small amount for prescription, should be fine. Also the temp in the cargo hold is the same as in the cabin. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to fly pets down there, lol. You'd end up with some Cat and Dog-cicles... lol

Some older aircraft don't have very good temperature control which has led to problems with this, that's why it's best to contact the airline before you go to check.

The Air Transport Association estimates that about 5,000 animals are either lost, injured or killed every year on our nation’s airplanes. While the vast majority arrive safely at their destination, serious and consistent problems have been documented on virtually every major airline.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has uncovered “temperature ranges in the cargo hold from zero to 104 degrees reported in a single flight.”

http://www.sfspca.org/gifs/pdf_airplanes/airplane.pdf

My previous post on this subject should be expanded as it was too simplistic and made hastily since it was made when I was sleepy and getting ready for bed. The cargo compartments in the newer passenger jet aircraft will not be subject to freezing temperatures only once the aircraft in underway and pressurized since usually the main cargo compartment where animals in addition to luggage are usually shipped have some type of temperature control and the other cargo compartments even if they do not have any temp. control also use airflow from the cabin circulated through them to keep at reasonable temperatures.

The problem can occur if your luggage or pets are spending extensive time on the ramp during loading, unloading or during aircraft changes and while the aircraft is still sitting on the ground while waiting to get underway. The ramp and cargo pits can reach extreme temperatures depending on the ambient outside temperature. The extreme temperatures quoted by 'cdnvic' in an FAA document are very realistic. This is the reason if you are shipping animals or items that can be damaged by exteme temperature you should be very aware of the air temperatures forcast at your origination, stops, and destination stations. It is always much safer to bring those items that are temperature sensitive in your carry-on luggage if the itms you are carrying will conform to the 3-1-1 rule for liquids and gels.

As a sidenote for people who are reading this that might someday decide to ship a pet, in the interest of their safety, try to ship them on nonstop flights if at all possible and try to ship them on days when the temperatures at origin and destination are at reasonable temperatures. The airlines have to follow rules when boarding animals in the pits such as last in and first off and are also supposed to be kept in the shade when on the ramps but mistakes are sometimes made, animals do die needlessly and have escaped from their cages while on the ramp.

In summary, your luggage and pets are usually totally safe and protected from temp extremes once in the cargo pits and the aircraft is underway. It is the ramp time and time before the aircraft departs where all the possible problems can occur.

I'm off for two weeks and need to carry about a month's worth of insulin with me (in case I fall ill when I'm out of the country)

I used to bring it all on as cabin luggage, but with the new restrictions I may have a problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the temperature is in the baggage hold of a plane, and whether any stowed insulin will freeze, because if so it will be ruined.

Come to think of it, it brings into question whether other liquids so stored would freeze - booze, perfume etc.

Any experts out there?

Thanks

Mobi

Are you flying from or to Thailand?

Cheers

I am also Insulin dependent diabeteic. When we last flew from London to Bkk we were advised to get letter from Diabetic clinic at Hospital (or maybe it was Doctor) to confirm I needed to carry insulin to inject en-route. No one asked to see letter or queried what I was carrying eventhough baggage was searched. I have since flown within europe with letter and insulin in hand luggage with no problems. Good luck you sweet thing.

I flew ldn to bkk with all of my insulin last October & was advised to get a letter from my doctor explaining why I needed to carry it. I was also told by airline NOT to check it in as they couldn't assure me it wouldn't freeze. So my advice is to get a letter & carry it all on. I also took needles & sharps bin & wasn't asked for letter or to explain why I had it.

As said earlier, you need a prescription for all your meds. Insulin and syringes ect. My wife brings all of her diabetes related meds with her in our carry on bags. I would NEVER put anything that you have to have in your checked luggage . If it is out of your sight then it is out of your control. Lost luggage would definetly put a kink in your travel plans if you had your diabetes supplies in there. We traveled to Thailand every other year since 1995 and have always had our precriptions with our meds hand carried on the planes and never had a problem.

I even have a prescription for my CPAP machine which has to be hand carried so it does not get damaged. Although security always runs checks on it to make sure its not anything explosive.

PKG

The reason I was asking Mobi whether he was flying to Thailand or not was because I was going to suggest that insulin , test machines and strips are all available in Thailand from Pharmacies(not all) as an alternative.

Cheers

Thanks for all the valuable replies folks.

To answer your various questions;

I'm flying from Bangkok to Sydney.

During the past 25 years or so, I have flown all over the world and have always carried all my insulin with me in the cabin for all the good reasons mentioned.

However this latest 'liquid rule' has me a bit spooked. I know what the rules say, but I just don't trust those idiots at Suvarnabhumi. I have heard horror stories about things being arbitrarily confiscated, and if they did that, I would literally have to cancel my holiday. So I weighed it up and decided that on a non stop flight there is a very low risk of my bags going astray (I haven't lost a bag in 30 years), and might be a lower risk than carrying it on and having it confiscated when I depart.

I am getting a doctor's letter today, so hopefully all will be well.