California Pizza Huts lay off all delivery drivers ahead of minimum wage increase

Pizza Hut is laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.

The layoffs, which will take place through the end of February, come as California's minimum wage is about to go up by $4. Fast-food workers in the state are set to get a pay bump of close to 30% in April as the minimum wages rises from $16 to $20 an hour.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/12/26/pizza-hut-layoffs-california-minimum-wage/72033582007/

• Sad 1

$20 an hour ... nice.   If you live away from the metro areas.  A couple, working at McDs could have a household income of $83k a year.

That's mind boggling.  My best salaried job (23 yrs ago), never broke 50k a year, base salary <$45k.  Topped out between $22-23 an hour.   Sad part is, they went belly up, got taken over, and almost 20 yrs later, they were still making the same salary, due to earlier concessions to keep working.

Fed law minimum wage is $7.25 ... "The federal minimum wage will remain at $7.25 an hour next year, the same rate that it's been since 2009."

Fed govt employees, and contracted companies have to pay $15 an hour, I think I read somewhere.

Over 20 states are jacking up their minimum wage for 2024

Edited by KhunLA

17 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

^ However, if that same couple lived near SF or LA, given the cost of living there, they would still be one paycheck away from being homeless.

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

$20 an hour ... nice.   If you live away from the metro areas.  A couple, working at McDs could have a household income of $83k a year.

1) DoorDash 2) Grub Hub will take over delivery.  Last week I went to a Dominos in So Cal and there two employees in the place.  One guy was putting the Pizza into the oven and the girl was answering the phones and dealing with customers.  I called the local Dominos number and got a call center in Manila.  

“Unintended Consequences”?  Fewer employees at each location but of course they are now making $20 dollars while doing the work of 2 people.  This is called the thinking of people who never run a business.  

• Confused 1

Having a $20.00 /hr min wage is simply upsetting the whole system. Having a fast food job should be short term, till you find something better. Our education system is failing to the point of people not having the skills to do much else.

• Agree 1