Extension of non-o retirement visa

fussing

I was issued a 90 days non-o retirement visa (800.000 in bank) by Chiang Mai Imm.

I asked if there would be any problems moving to Chiang Rai and was told that everything would be ok as long as my landlord would register me there.

Now I have been rejected one year extension by the Chiang Rai Imm. because the entry 90 days non-o must be extended by the issuing Imm. Office. So I have to go to Chiang Mai.

The question is:
Will Chiang Mai Imm. extent without documentation of address?
If not - will they extent with documentation of address in Chiang Rai?
If not - will they extent with screen shot (TM30) of CM hotel 1 night stay?
If not – any suggestions?

Please only answers from CM first hand experience (Preferably IO’s employed in CM) :-)

• Confused 2

41 minutes ago, fussing said:

The question is:
Will Chiang Mai Imm. extent without documentation of address?

No, because on that day your one year extension also/is includes your 90 day report. 

If not - will they extent with screen shot (TM30) of CM hotel 1 night stay?

It should suffice, some posters say they have done it.

Bring your tm30 receipt from cr and ask cm IO if it will suffice. If not then get a room and get a new tm30 recipe at the IO.

Please only answers from CM first hand experience (Preferably IO’s employed in CM)

Not sure if there’s any cm IO’s on the forum.

Sorry couldn’t be of more help.

Edited by novacova

A bag of chocolate or a half a dozen or so Snickers bars moves mountains at Chiang Rai Immigration & dress appropriately (long trousers, shirt with a collar).

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm presuming you are seeking a one-year extension based on retirement and, yes, there's no doubt you will be required to present a copy of a TM-30.  You obtaining a printout of the TM-30 filing from your 1-night stay here in CM will suffice (ask right up front if the hotel will do the filing and, if not, go find another hotel that will do so).

Once you're set there and go back to Chiangrai, you're going to want to do a TM-30 filing there so you're fine for future matters (that's presuming you stay in Chiangrai).  And ask the IO in CR if you need to do anything else (such as filing any other address change document.....I only mention this as I don't know what CR requires).  

And, once you extend here in CM, see if they give you a new TM-47 (90-day address Receipt of Notification) with a new date for reporting because, if they don't, then you'd be wise to report 90-days from your last entry (or whatever your current Receipt of Notification says).  As poster said above, they should be giving you a new Receipt and date.

(P.S.  I'm rather doubtful any CM Immigration Officer participates in this forum).

Thanks Novacova and CMBob

I appreciate your input and I'll post my possible progress.

I can see that you're quite active on this forum and I was wondering if you ever came across anyone trying to change a 90 days non-o visa from one province to the same visa in an other province (using the TM86 form). If possible, I could change my CM visa in CR. It will save me the trip to CM..

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, fussing said:

Now I have been rejected one year extension by the Chiang Rai Imm. because the entry 90 days non-o must be extended by the issuing Imm. Office. So I have to go to Chiang Mai.

37 minutes ago, fussing said:

I was wondering if you ever came across anyone trying to change a 90 days non-o visa from one province to the same visa in an other province (using the TM86 form).

Personally don’t know of anyone who has changed 90-1year from cm-cr, can post a thread in the cr forum & maybe you’ll get a hit. Though each IO is a little different, I don’t know of a stipulation that states the extension of a 90 day to a year needs to be done at the originating office. Try the Maasai IO if it’s not too much trouble for you.

1 hour ago, fussing said:

..... I was wondering if you ever came across anyone trying to change a 90 days non-o visa from one province to the same visa in an other province (using the TM86 form). If possible, I could change my CM visa in CR. It will save me the trip to CM..

Sorry, like Novacova, I don't know anybody who's done that.  It makes no sense to me that you can't do it in CR provided you've changed your TM-30 registered address to CR; however, like I said before, I have zero clue as to the local rules/practice in CR (let alone the rules/practice of a given officer there).  

5 hours ago, CMBob said:

You obtaining a printout of the TM-30 filing from your 1-night stay here in CM will suffice (ask right up front if the hotel will do the filing and, if not, go find another hotel that will do so).

Sorry (to the OP) for butting in here, but I have been asking myself this question like forever; say, the hotel won't do the TM-30 filing (and I follow your advice), can I use that hotel's refusal to do the TM-30 filing (which they are supposed to do by law anyway) to cancel the booking, and get a refund if I paid already?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Sorry (to the OP) for butting in here, but I have been asking myself this question like forever; say, the hotel won't do the TM-30 filing (and I follow your advice), can I use that hotel's refusal to do the TM-30 filing (which they are supposed to do by law anyway) to cancel the booking, and get a refund if I paid already?

I too have wondered what happens to people needing some immigration service where they need a TM-30 Receipt but their hotel (or, more often, a landlord) refuses to do one.  I'd guess that telling an Immigration Officer that would get somebody nowhere.  I've read many posts over the years where this has happened but don't recall any such poster following up and subsequently explaining what happened or how the problem was resolved.  

4 hours ago, CMBob said:

I too have wondered what happens to people needing some immigration service where they need a TM-30 Receipt but their hotel (or, more often, a landlord) refuses to do one.  I'd guess that telling an Immigration Officer that would get somebody nowhere.  I've read many posts over the years where this has happened but don't recall any such poster following up and subsequently explaining what happened or how the problem was resolved.  

Make sure that the issuance of TM30, owner ID, tax docs, Tabien Baan, whatever is part of the contract

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Before I went to CM, I went to CR IO and they again confirmed that they could not extent my visa. They were quite insistent.

In CM IO with my 3 nights hotel TM30, I was asked (as I expected) about my residence. I told truthfully that I lived in CR and the IO asked (as expected) why I didn’t extent in CR. I told him the CR IO said they couldn’t and his reaction was a confirming "yes".

So I got my extension and the note that I had done my first 3-month address notification.

Coming back to CR, I have made sure my landlord has registered my anew (TM30). That must be enough to keep me in the clear.

Thanks again for your help.

• Thanks 1