Retirement with 800k in the bank - do you need a 12 month overview or just last 3

if your passbook has monthly updates, that is...

it is my first renewal after my initial retirement extension last year.

I was on other type non-o before (Parent of Thai child)

Edited by john donson

My last extension, I got the 12 month statement (just in case) but they (IO) asked for the 6 month statement only and the bank letter.

Both, the 6 month statement and the bank letter, I got on the same day as going to Immigration 

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, john donson said:

if your passbook has monthly updates, that is...

it is my first renewal after my initial retirement extension last year.

I was on other type non-o before (Parent of Thai child)Technically you need to show that… 

As this is not your 1st extension, (technically) you need to show that… 
   1. You maintained 800K in your account for at least 3 months after your previous extension. 
   2. You maintained at least 400K for 7 months after that 

3. You have had at least 800K in the bank for the previous 2 months. 

So (Technically) a 12 month statement is required. 

Practically it depends on which Immigration Office you use, some want 12 months others might be happy with as little as 3 months, best to go in & check with them if you can. 

OP, you need to show banking records from date of current extension.

For some immigration offices that will require 12 month bank statements or photocopies of 12 months of your bank book pages.

All will require 12 months. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, MJCM said:

My last extension, I got the 12 month statement (just in case) but they (IO) asked for the 6 month statement only and the bank letter

Which immigration office? 

Haven't read of an immigration office being satisfied with only 6 months of proof of financials. 

Perhaps you provided bank book also. 

Yes you need to show the full previous year.

At Jomtien they accept either a copy of bank book if there are no composite entries or a full year bank statement showing all transactions.

I was shocked last extension that they demanded to see the actual book in addition to the copy. First time I experienced that. I sacrificed any faint shread of dignity I might have and begged them to let it slip this time (will do next time I promise!) and mercy was shown. 

Now for the 64,000 satang question.

Suppose you come in and there is a fault BEFORE the two months before 800K seasoning rule.

For example, during the time you need only 400K suppose it went under the 400K a while.

Would that actually DENY the extension based on that?

Technically under the rules they should, but would they?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office? 

Haven't read of an immigration office being satisfied with only 6 months of proof of financials. 

Perhaps you provided bank book also. 

Buriram. Bank book they just had a glance and gave it back, maybe it is because it’s a fixed Deposit? 

I had the 12 month statement with me (got that a week before going to immigration) and it wasn’t asked, only the 6 month and the bank letter which I got on the same day as going to IO

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I'm shocked you have previously been able to NOT provide original bank book.

Never over many many years and that's what I told the guy which was the truth so how was I supposed to know.

I have never considered that a requirement.

You provide a copy and sign it. 
Even stranger for reasons not worth mentioning I had also provided a full year bank statement along with the copies. I'm sure it's not required if you have a full year bank book record. But there was even less reason to demand the original in such a case.

I changed banks after 7 months after approval 

lowered my 800k to 400k  in bank a

deposited 400k in bank b the same day

deposited last 400k in bank b

I will not have even 6 months in bank b when I have to renew

I technically never went under 400k, with the bank

A 12 month statement will not be possible in bank A nor B

so how F-ed am I ?

Edited by john donson

8 minutes ago, john donson said:

so how F-ed am I ?

I also switched banks between extensions.  The "new" account is from SCB and comes with no bank book.

I made the switch during the months when only 400K was required.  There was a 2 month period where I had 400K in each bank to make it easy for IO to see that I was always in compliance with minimum deposit.

I got an account affirming letter from both banks and a 12 month statement from "old" bank and a 4 month statement from "new" bank.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, john donson said:

so how F-ed am I ?

Obtain a bank letter from bank A and copies of bank book pages .

Also obtain bank letter for new bank along with copies of bank book pages.

Which immigration office. Not all require bank statements 

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, john donson said:

so how F-ed am I ?

did you close the account in Bank A?

If not, then you could ask them for a statement of the months the money was in the account and also get a statement from Bank B. 

thanks, it is samut prakarn, <deleted>hole that made my life more than miserable, after my divorce (corrupt IO and my ex has an aunt that was IO elsewhere , during marriage never needed an update kor ror still married, after divorce,  change of extension refused, told me to go back to my country, with kids present and pleading to change extension reason, had all the money, documents, ... forced to become a tourist for a year,  refused again a year later, 2 weeks before covid lockdown, finally forced to do their job after ombudsman complaint was received and suddenly my rejected documents were ok and asked to sign how friendly and good I was helped by those #####

so yes, thank you for feedback, statements and copies, lots of them ...

Edited by DrJack54
Inappropriate language

I just did my 20th yearly extension based on retirement with 800000 baht in bank account.Did extension at Chaeng Wattana Bangkok.

All they required was letter from bank stating amount in my bank account and then copies of my bankbook for the last twelve months, so they could

check money transfer from overseas to my account.Also required to see original bankbook with update on day of extension.I never had any problems in the twenty years

I did extension, maybe because my account never goes below 800000.

17 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

In Chiang Mai, a 12 Month Statement from the bank is required by immigration.

That should be standard because the IO SHOULD be checking for compliance with the terms of the previous approval - as well as 2 months before the current application.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, sjoegge said:

I just did my 20th yearly extension based on retirement with 800000 baht in bank account.Did extension at Chaeng Wattana Bangkok.

All they required was letter from bank stating amount in my bank account and then copies of my bankbook for the last twelve months, so they could

check money transfer from overseas to my account.

Not questioning what you did but why would Immigration want to check for money transfers from overseas when you say you do your extension based on 800k baht in the bank?  Makes no sense to me....as one can support such an annual extension on the 800k in the bank or showing you transferred 65k a month for the year.  Showing both isn't required anywhere as far as I know.  I suspect your Immigration Office wanted to see your bankbook (or copies) only to verify that the ending balance equaled what the bank letter said.

As Siam Andy said, Chiangmai Immigration (for annual extension based on retirement) requires both the standard bank letter (showing the account name and balance) and a 12-month statement (supposedly so they can check that you maintained the proper amounts for the proper time periods).

On 1/31/2024 at 8:24 PM, SiamAndy said:

In Chiang Mai, a 12 Month Statement from the bank is required by immigration.

Also a 12 month statement is required in Phuket , the statement must show all of your bank account number , some banks statements downloaded from the internet have part of the account hidden and last month the Phuket immigration would not accept this in my case , i had to obtain one directly from the bank.   

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

Also a 12 month statement is required in Phuket , the statement must show all of your bank account number , some banks statements downloaded from the internet have part of the account hidden and last month the Phuket immigration would not accept this in my case , i had to obtain one directly from the bank.   

Maybe I'm missing something.

Anything re statements from internet would not be accepted.

Bank statements from actual bank with bank stamp is acceptable 

• Thumbs Up 2

When I did my extension last week the bank just printed out 3 months of account details and the letter of current account amount.  I also provided copies of all the pages in my account book.  I was not asked for my actual account book.  I did bring it with me just in case though.  I do have to make a small transaction on the day I get the letter because they want to see a balance in the book on that date despite having the letter from the bank.  This is in Ratchaburi.

I only provide a letter from the bank and a copy of my bank book. I also take the bank book in case they ask to see  it. Never been asked to provide any statements. This is at Buriram.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Maybe I'm missing something.

Anything re statements from internet would not be accepted.

Bank statements from actual bank with bank stamp is acceptable 

I may have been just lucky in the past as i had previously used 12 month bank statements download from the banking app myself , on extension in January 2023 the official accepted the statement with no bank stamp , on the recent extension last month the bank had stamped the statement i had downloaded and printed myself for me. 

The problem was part of the account number was masked by some xxx xxx , which i hadnt noticed myself. The immigration offercer pondered over it for a few minutes asking another officer for advice. They were very nice about it and then asked me to open my online banking app to see if i could adjust the masking off the account number in settings. They tried to do it for me but after changing the settings to unmask the account number it still came out partly masked when i received the statement to my email in front of the officers. They kindly asked me if i could therefore go to a local branch 10 minutes away and get the bank to give me a 12 month statement showing the full account number. I did that and was back in the immigration office within 45 minutes and they were then satisfied and stamped my new extension into my passport. 

16 hours ago, CMBob said:

Not questioning what you did but why would Immigration want to check for money transfers from overseas when you say you do your extension based on 800k baht in the bank?  Makes no sense to me....as one can support such an annual extension on the 800k in the bank or showing you transferred 65k a month for the year.  Showing both isn't required anywhere as far as I know.  I suspect your Immigration Office wanted to see your bankbook (or copies) only to verify that the ending balance equaled what the bank letter said.

As Siam Andy said, Chiangmai Immigration (for annual extension based on retirement) requires both the standard bank letter (showing the account name and balance) and a 12-month statement (supposedly so they can check that you maintained the proper amounts for the proper time periods).

It has been said before but, if you show 800k FIXED in a bank account an IO has every right to say "what are you living on, are you working?". 

Apart from the funds on deposit they want to see account activity.

• Confused 1