Loan shark gang threatens 60-year-old debtor in Nakhon Si Thammarat

image.jpeg

In a chilling incident in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, the notorious loan shark gang, known as "Bao-LanSaka," showed no regard for the law as they brandished knives and guns, menacing a 60-year-old debtor in her village home.

The victim's relatives and neighbors intervened to prevent the assault but were met with threats and violence, prompting the debtor to report the incident out of fear for her safety, reported Daily News.

On February 4th, the local police received a distress call about an armed debt-collecting gang led by "Bao-LanSaka." The incident occurred in Ban Ka (pseudonym), Tha Pho Sadej sub-district, Mueang district, Nakhon Si Thammarat. Law enforcement swiftly responded to the scene, discovering the victim and her traumatized family.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Earlier in the afternoon, the gang, led by a person known as "Bao" or "Bao-LanSaka," comprising approximately ten members, arrived in pickup trucks and sedans. They aggressively approached the debtor, engaging in verbal abuse and making threats. The debtor's relatives and neighbors rushed to her aid, but the opposing gang persisted, even resorting to brandishing knives and guns.

The victim, identified as Ms. A (pseudonym), revealed that she had borrowed 25,000 Baht from the loan shark gang, accumulating interest payments exceeding 30,000 Baht. Despite the substantial repayment, the gang refused to accept it, leading to heated disputes over the phone. Eventually, Bao and his accomplices descended on her residence with the intent to coerce continuous interest payments.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Ms. A, determined to seek justice, captured evidence of the gang's intrusion and threats on video, which she later used to file a police report. The community remains on edge as the legal process unfolds, exposing the menacing tactics employed by loan sharks in the region.

Top Picture: Daily News

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-02-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

the gang, led by a person known as "Bao" or "Bao-LanSaka," comprising approximately ten members

To hassle a 60 year old woman?
What a bunch of low lives......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No good is going to come from this. Those people don't play around. Maybe not today, but they will get their pound of flesh. In my village I have helped some, by buying some land from them so the sharks wouldn't take their house, I even bought a cow. I won't give them money, I am not a bank. But the sad thing is they will turn around a year later and get another loan. I am into the "here and now" but you have to think about the future sometimes.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I've no sympathy for the 60 year old. She knows how things work here. Thais have a habit of borrowing money and not paying it back. Been caught out myself a few time's over the years

• Sad 4
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Kind of shows the dire state of this country when people become so desperate they have to resort to these scum loan sharks. This is sick!

That is not entirely true.

It seems lots of Thais, and maybe not only Thais, like to gamble. Some on the lottery, others on football, etc. And some are just convinced they will win. Invest 10,000 today, get 20,000 tomorrow. Perfect. What can possibly go wrong? Answer: see above.

And as far as I know at least some of that Thai (obviously illegal) gambling works in the way that the gambler does not have to pay up front. Like Somchai calls the gaming guy and says he bets 10,000B on Liverpool. Fine. At that moment he does not have to pay. He expects to get 20k the next day. But maybe Liverpool loses and then he has to pay 10k. But he doesn't have 10k. No problem Somchai, you can pay 1000B per day, every day, until the end of the month.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is not entirely true.

It seems lots of Thais, and maybe not only Thais, like to gamble. Some on the lottery, others on football, etc. And some are just convinced they will win. Invest 10,000 today, get 20,000 tomorrow. Perfect. What can possibly go wrong? Answer: see above.

And as far as I know at least some of that Thai (obviously illegal) gambling works in the way that the gambler does not have to pay up front. Like Somchai calls the gaming guy and says he bets 10,000B on Liverpool. Fine. At that moment he does not have to pay. He expects to get 20k the next day. But maybe Liverpool loses and then he has to pay 10k. But he doesn't have 10k. No problem Somchai, you can pay 1000B per day, every day, until the end of the month.

I wasn't really talking about the gambling sickness or the stupidity of Thais borrowing money because they want it but more of Thais borrowing because they need it desperately. Like if baby needs an operation or some healthy food for a sickness etc. They lost a job, can't pay rent and grandma needs food money. You know, that kind of thing! That being said, no matter what the reason those loan sharks deserve much worse.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

I wasn't really talking about the gambling sickness or the stupidity of Thais borrowing money because they want it but more of Thais borrowing because they need it desperately. Like if baby needs an operation or some healthy food for a sickness etc. They lost a job, can't pay rent and grandma needs food money. You know, that kind of thing! That being said, no matter what the reason those loan sharks deserve much worse.

There is a difference between I need something and I want something.

I understand lots of people want a lot. And if they receive their salaries they spend a lot. And then later in the month there is no money anymore. How could that have happened?

It seems many people are ready to help people in need. People can also get food from the temple, etc.

I think there are very few situations when a loan shark is the only option.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

...they showed no regard for the law, of course,  that is exactly why they are called loan shark

And police must be aware of their presence and yet do nothing to stop them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1