Gulf Air To Europe

onzestan

For many years GF has been my preferred way of travel between LON and BKK (best and most consistent value for money), but I haven't flown since February. My observations are from the viewpoint of business class.

On the Bahrain-London sector they normally use the refurbished 340-300s, with flat 'skybeds' in business class, but sometimes the newer A330s, also with sky beds in business class.

On the Bahrain-Bangkok sector they normally use the slightly longer A340-343 which doesn't yet have the flat beds in business class and which is probably the un-refurbished one that you have in mind (although I did once fly in a 330 with flat beds from Bangkok). I know that the original plan was to upgrade all these planes too, but this may now be on hold.

If you are in Bangkok you might want to walk in to the Gulf Air office, which is on ground floor of the Maneeya Building opposite the Intercontinental (ex-President Hotel) on Ploenchit Rd. They are quite helpful there. Or call them 02 254 7931-4 (usually helpful on phone).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you get any more definite news.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you get any more definite news.

Hi Filer,

Thanks for the info.

I don't live in Bangkok, so walking in isn't so easy. I will call them tomorrow, and see what gives.

I always fly CDG or FRA since my final destination (rental car) is approx. the same distance from either.

I'm hoping that since they abolished the Australia route on which they used the refurbished planes,

that the BKK/AUH segment would benefit from the reshuffle.

I cannot however deduct from their website if this is so or not.

Thanks again, will keep you informed.

Cheers

onzestan

I always fly CDG or FRA since my final destination (rental car) is approx.

onzestan

Hi onzestan,

I fly to cdg too. Was curious what you found the best option wa so far - before you started looking at gulf air.

Are all gulf air's flights from bkk to cdg via Bahrain, or do any have transits at another airport in the Gulf - eg Abu Dhabi? (I would stop off in AD for a day to see people I know - but not in Bahrain where I know no-one.)

Hi there,

Anyone flown Gulf Air to Europe recently?

Are they still using the old A340's from Bangkok or the refurbished ones?

Have emailed Gulf no reply. :D

Thanks beforehand.

Cheers

onzestan

:D I fly at least twice a year from Athens to Bangkok. Gulf Air used to be the best deal in business class. What I never liked was the 12 hour layover on the return leg. Last time I checked they had changed the route going through Oman and Bahrain so that there was a total of 30 hours layover time in the middle east. Not good. They were nearly 500 Euro cheaper (return flight) than Thai, but Thai is a direct flight Athens to Bangkok and return. I liked the cheapest price, but had no desire to spend more than 24 hours waiting in two airports, especially as the return leg had two overnight waits in Oman and Bahrain.

So no more Gulf Air for me. Maybe new schedule?

:o

Hi onzestan,

I fly to cdg too. Was curious what you found the best option wa so far - before you started looking at gulf air.

Are all gulf air's flights from bkk to cdg via Bahrain, or do any have transits at another airport in the Gulf - eg Abu Dhabi? (I would stop off in AD for a day to see people I know - but not in Bahrain where I know no-one.)

Hi l.e.

Have flown Gulf twice to CDG each time in first because of special promotions.

Gulf hub is Bahrain on this trip.

However if you want to fly via Abu Dhabi I recommend Etihad. Abu Dhabi is their transit port. Flown them once in business recently and can thoroughly recommend them.

However I have accrued a lot of miles plus Gold membership on Gulf so I'm looking now at business ticket on Gulf with upgrade to first for the BKK/BAH/BKK leg of the trip.

Hope to have helped. :o

Cheers

Onzestan

I fly at least twice a year from Athens to Bangkok. Gulf Air used to be the best deal in business class. What I never liked was the 12 hour layover on the return leg. Last time I checked they had changed the route going through Oman and Bahrain so that there was a total of 30 hours layover time in the middle east. Not good. They were nearly 500 Euro cheaper (return flight) than Thai, but Thai is a direct flight Athens to Bangkok and return. I liked the cheapest price, but had no desire to spend more than 24 hours waiting in two airports, especially as the return leg had two overnight waits in Oman and Bahrain.

So no more Gulf Air for me. Maybe new schedule?

:o

Tikanis

I think you better check their timetable again. I'm not sure but I believe they stopped flying via Oman.

cheers

onzestan

On the Bahrain-London sector they normally use the refurbished 340-300s, with flat 'skybeds' in business class, but sometimes the newer A330s, also with sky beds in business class.

On the Bahrain-Bangkok sector they normally use the slightly longer A340-343 which doesn't yet have the flat beds in business class and which is probably the un-refurbished one that you have in mind (although I did once fly in a 330 with flat beds from Bangkok). I know that the original plan was to upgrade all these planes too, but this may now be on hold.

I flew Gulf business to London in January and they were using the flat beds that are not 100% flat (they are more like 90% flat so you slide down). It would be great if they had switched to the true 100% flat sleeper beds.

Hi onzestan,

Hi l.e.

Have flown Gulf twice to CDG each time in first because of special promotions.

Gulf hub is Bahrain on this trip.

However if you want to fly via Abu Dhabi I recommend Etihad. Abu Dhabi is their transit port. Flown them once in business recently and can thoroughly recommend them.

However I have accrued a lot of miles plus Gold membership on Gulf so I'm looking now at business ticket on Gulf with upgrade to first for the BKK/BAH/BKK leg of the trip.

Hope to have helped. :o

Cheers

Onzestan

Thanks.