Retirement Visa Based on Monthly USA SSA Deposits

Believe it or not the exact papers to show at Immigration that 12 monthly direct deposits have been made by Social Security Administration in order to qualify for a Retirement visa is not standardized or clear. I actually had immigration on the phone with Bangkok Bank at Siam Paragon, the one branch almost dedicated to foreigners needs and seem to always have the answers. Immigration themselves described in general what is needed to the bank officers and told them it had to be certified. General. Nothing specific. We all know here it IS rather specific, but no matter how I ask I get nothing. When I went in BKB last month to ensure I knew what to get, one helpful woman at the Western Union desk came over, knew exactly what it was, went in the back, printed 2 of my deposits and showed how it actually says it is from Social Security (not the generic code in the bank book or on an emailed statement) and said it takes about 10 minutes and to come the day before I go to immigration as Immigration is picky about the date it done. She even had a name for it that, sadly, I did lose the slip I wrote it down on.

I am not going to use an agency again. It is 28k baht. I did in the past because of illness. My visa expires Friday, I tried to renew it 1 month early as is allowed. I live in Bangkok. The visa agency did the TM.30 as me living in Trat at their business address. I could not file because according to Immigration I do not live in Bangkok. Think my landlord cares about 24 hors law to report I live here? Not in any way whatsoever. Took them until Monday this week and they were still confused what to do, so I grabbed the blue book photo, the owners ID card, and my passport page photo and went on the Web site and did it in 4 minutes. Their fine for not reporting within 24 hours and it has been 3 years? A whopping 800 baht. My fine? Very angry landlord AND her children all screaming at me and threating me in a very non-Thai-like manner saying it is too complicated but please don't move out, Immigration threatening me with fines for lying about living in Trat, and the looming possibility of 500 baht PER DAY fines for overstay. 

For those that have been through this need for the paperwork showing the 12 deposits, please accurately tell me what I need the bank to do. Immigration is not going to just accept a letter from the bank certifying that the account is mine and copies of my passbook (that I never update) or copies of my full statement. They want proof the monthly deposits are from SSA, they want them "certified" and apparently they want more. Surely there is a name for these reports? Can someone please tell me what it is I ask for exactly? BKB tonight said they don't even certify forms! The story changes constantly in the saving face variety of not saying "I don't know".

I have tomorrow and Friday to get this right. If it take a few days to get printed then it does. I can't get anything printed without knowing what to ask for and nothing of the threads here were any help to the bank. My passbook is not highly up to date, but I have 13 months of bank statement emailed  to me and highlighted the deposits for the bank workers.

Thoughts, frustrations, angst accepted with condolences for your equal pains. Desire for facts the goal, please - if possible a pic of what you got and black out your personal details will be treated to lunch at least! I can't just hop to the border in my health condition.

Signed, sealed, a spat upon (joking, I am actually not too stressed,)
Sir FRUSTRATED IN BANGKOK ( no man should be frustrated in Bangkok! )

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Would it be easier to just go on the BTS Siam line to Bangkok Bank head office (Chong Nongsi north side walk west round the corner north not far on your right). Get them to look up the credit advices for the inbound transfers from overseas and give you a stamped, signed letter listing the last 12 ftom SSA? Best get there early at opening time.

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 2

Yes, that is what she called it! Credit advices. And surely the main branch would know how to certify it.

As an easier alternative, why not the branch in the basement of CW Immigration in Bangkok. Surely they know wat is needed, yes?

Beyond the credited advices certified, i believe there is another certification (perhaps the current balance and that the account is actually held by me, I think?) Any exact details? My passbook is a mess - do I need to photocopy more than than the info page?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not sure whether to laugh in lunacy at that or cry... It seems so unformidable, yet just like the landlord not being able to figure out how to file a TM.30 and i did it in 4 minutes... Whatever, man. At least my valentines day was ruined by the 6 hours it took of travel and waiting at the bank. ROFUL.

• Confused 2

Good luck with your endeavors on satisfying the pedants at immigration. Up here in Isaan, an acquaintance was renewing his twelfth consecutive Ret Ext using the proof of monthly income. He was given the extreme runaround because one of the twelve transfers posted to his Thai account two days into the following month. No matter that this was subsequently proven to be due to a long-weekend Thai bank holiday, it was still grounds for an adamant refusal. The more that the unpreventable situation was explained, and reason and common sense sought, the more adamant the refusal became.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Good luck with your endeavors on satisfying the pedants at immigration. Up here in Isaan, an acquaintance was renewing his twelfth consecutive Ret Ext using the proof of monthly income. He was given the extreme runaround because one of the twelve transfers posted to his Thai account two days into the following month. No matter that this was subsequently proven to be due to a long-weekend Thai bank holiday, it was still grounds for an adamant refusal. The more that the unpreventable situation was explained, and reason and common sense sought, the more adamant the refusal became.

I am finding how we speak to authorities has a lot to do with it. Some time use ChatGPT and tell it you want to convert you statement to the way a Thai person would say it. There is never accusation, it is very polite, it with humility recognizes their option to help you or not and a compassioned plea. It actually totally changes a Thai person's attitude even if they work exclusively with us "intruders " on the kingdom.

• Confused 1

To all, I feel really honored at the emotional support. More so than facts, this means more.

I practice productive worry. Yup, I stress at the unknown and that drives me to sak, What CAN I do and ow will I best do it?". What I reach that understanding and know eveything i can do, I quite with ease. Any more worry is jjust stress. (pardon the typing... this lare the Parks medicine is worn off.

"I believe hop is informed optimism"  - Michal J. Fox.

Well, i have the name of what I need now thanks to this thread. I have the number to BKN at Immigration who must, obviously, know what is needed. Watever they say is the time frame I pay overstay fees. That is surely cheaper then 28k to use an agencies that near permanently ever keeps me from being able to file myself due to their automated TM.30 process.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, SailingHome said:

I actually had immigration on the phone with Bangkok Bank at Siam Paragon

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get immigration on the phone with the bank?  Did you just go to immigration and ask?  They always seem super busy and unwilling to even have a conversation, to me.

it seems more and more IO's want people to use agents as when u do it by yourself they make  $$$000,000

Think about the 800,000 you leave in the bank<  ur getting what .5% interest ( if ur lucky?)
it is supposed to be there to prove u can financially live in Thailand

BUT you cant use that money  !!!  So basically ur giving the Thai bank ur money to make money off of to appease immigration 

Now lets say ur single, no will
who gets the 800,000 when u pass?

Yep the Bank>>>>>

rant over>>>>>>>>

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, QuantumQuandry said:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get immigration on the phone with the bank?  Did you just go to immigration and ask?  They always seem super busy and unwilling to even have a conversation, to me.

Easy,shhh...don't spread this aroung or it will get bottled up 🙂  Dial <gasp> 1111 (found it by accident) and there is zero wait time, open 24 hours. I _think_ it has something to do with the tourist police. 😉

On the phone with BKB @ Immigration CW basement. 02-143-9614. They too seem confused, I said "Certificate of deposits from overseas 12 months". They said the can order it but it often doesn't come back what immigration wants - a branch can only do 6 months. Directed me to headquarters (as stated above by a poster) and warned it will likely still take 5 business days.

Phone:02-230-1022, 02-230-1016, 02-230-2519, 02-230-1940, 02-230-2085

Sigh... 2500 in overstay is cheaper then 28k for a visa company lies about what province I live in and upsets Immigration for me.

Oh! NOW he says I must do it at the branch I opened my account. After reminding him again that I spent 3 hours at that branch yesterday and even had immigration call them only to turn me away... he too my phone number and said will back.

Let's kick some tires and light some fires... someone has to be able to do this. Geez... even in the remote provinces it can be done. 😃 After 13 years I have learned to laugh along with such things, not overly stress.

Edited by SailingHome
Added status update.