Live animal smuggler caught at Bangkok airport

webfact

Good to see that security Suvarnabhumi airport stopped this live export of endangered animals (and likely saved the lives of these critters).

We are all aware that baggage cases get scanned before loading onto planes. They are not just looking for explosives or stuff that will endanger an aircraft. I had first hand experience of this 2 years ago. Flew from Bangkok to London. On arrival, my passport would not work in the e-gate. Went to counter with passport. Immediately was accompanied by customs to a holding area. This was before collecting baggage. Was questioned then taken to retrieve baggage. Baggage was thouroughly searched and intense and repetitive questioning for nearly an hour. What were they suspicious of? In my cases was about 25kgs of massage balm brought for a friend who owns a Thai massage spa. Also, the item they were really interesd in, was an urn of ashes of a deceased aquaintance (brought back for his family and I had all the required paperwork). They scanned it but would not open the box - I told them he wouldn't complain! They didn't even swab for narcotics but it looked like organic on the scan. They let me go with no issue. Clearly, London had been tipped off by Bangkok that there was something suspicious in my baggage. When asked this, the officer wouldn't say.

When I flew into Istanbul Airport a few years ago the customs officer swabbed my bag which indicated a high quantity of heroin/opium.  When I explained that I was a teacher in Burma the officer exclaimed "ah yes, no problem - everything in Burma tests positive for opium, clothes, money, bags etc!"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The suspect was about to board a flight to Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia, when officials found 46 fish, two Komodo dragons, six Indian star tortoises, six iguanas, five pythons and a boa constrictor inside his luggage, which was to be loaded into the plane’s cargo hold.

So they do look at the X-ray screens occasionally

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They most likely would have frozen to death ,

regards Worgeordie

Possibly they would just enter a cold torpor such as affects Floridas famous falling Iguanas.

"Generally, the temperature in the hold is kept between 12 and 16 Celsius (54 and 61 Fahrenheit) depending on the aircraft and its cargo load."

https://www.quora.com/At-what-temperature-is-checked-in-luggage-stored-in-an-airplane

I think word would have got around the animal smuggling fraternity if contraband animals were routinely "batch dying" in their luggage.

Edited by Enoon