Firefighters trying to control forest fires in three national parks in Chiang Mai

snoop1130

messageImage_1708497442844.jpg

Park officials are trying hard to control forest fires raging in Don Inthanon, Mae Thjo and Ob Luang national parks in Chiang Mai province.

Two teams of firefighters from the “Sua Fai” unit have been deployed to Mae Tho National Park to prevent the fires from spreading. Their efforts have, however, been hampered by the steep mountainous terrain, which is only accessible only foot.

At about 7.30pm last night, fires were reported to have erupted in Doi Kaew sub-district in Chom Thong district, which is in the Doi Inthanon National Park.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Seems strange how CM always seems to be blighted with fires every year around the same time.

Hill tribes and rural villagers burning the forest to promote mushroom growth, a highly lucrative crop with a product in much demand

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

only accessible only foot.

.... that's a problem, indeed for Thai's who are used to take a scooter just to visit the neighbour next door. Anyway.

I hope the fire brigade will successfully extinguish the fires.🙏

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

I expect we will see multiple arrests and massive fines to deter the arsonists doing further damage.

Short of shooting a couple of guys responsible for starting those fires, to set an example of what can happen to anyone starting such fires, I don’t think anything would deter them. And maybe you’re thinking ‘shooting people for this is way over the top’. Maybe, but maybe not. These people are responsible (in part) for the smog that covers the north of Thailand every dry season, and it seems to be getting worse every year.
Thousands, if not tens of thousands of people, develop respiratory diseases because of this (I got bronchitis twice staying in CM), and it will shorten the lives of many by years and years. It does a lot of damage to the people, to the environment and to the economy. And all that just so that some selfish dumbasses can pick mushrooms and earn a lot of money? I say hunt them down and throw them in jail for at least ten years. But that would mean that the RTP would have to get off their backsides and actually do something worthwhile, and we all know that’s never going to happen.

2 hours ago, Tarteso said:

IMG_3112.jpeg

Don't be silly we need fighter jets and Submarines. Not all purpose Choppers, the invasion of Thailand is sooo imminent init. :whistling:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Short of shooting a couple of guys responsible for starting those fires, to set an example of what can happen to anyone starting such fires, I don’t think anything would deter them. And maybe you’re thinking ‘shooting people for this is way over the top’. Maybe, but maybe not. These people are responsible (in part) for the smog that covers the north of Thailand every dry season, and it seems to be getting worse every year.
Thousands, if not tens of thousands of people, develop respiratory diseases because of this (I got bronchitis twice staying in CM), and it will shorten the lives of many by years and years. It does a lot of damage to the people, to the environment and to the economy. And all that just so that some selfish dumbasses can pick mushrooms and earn a lot of money? I say hunt them down and throw them in jail for at least ten years. But that would mean that the RTP would have to get off their backsides and actually do something worthwhile, and we all know that’s never going to happen.

You are advocating shooting without trial?

36 minutes ago, Thailand said:

You are advocating shooting without trial?

Not really, I may have been exaggerating a little. But this just p!sses me off no end. On the one hand the total inaction of the Thai authorities over (at least) the last two decades when it comes to putting a stop to this recurring smog, and on the other hand the total disregard for the population’s health by a bunch of morons who set fire to the forest so that they can make money. It’s just shocking to me that this has gone on for so long already, and probably will go on for a long time to come.
So some draconian measures are desperately needed, IMO. Shooting these people is probably a bridge too far, but I would definitely be in favor of locking them up for a very long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hang Dong golf course this a.m. aqi had hit 200 already.

Doi Suthep almost disappeared.

Congratulations to the relevant authorities for total inaction and overall incompetence in dealing with this ongoing disaster!