Thai airlines vow cheaper domestic flights after public outcry

webfact

It would be nice if they shared the current price ceiling chart.

I found this one but not sure on the date? https://www.thaiairways.com/en/Terms_condition/CAAT_Announcement.page?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In related news, the soaring cost of air travel to Phuket has sparked a backlash from local tourists, with low-cost carriers reportedly charging up to 14,000 baht for a round trip from Bangkok. Despite making bookings weeks in advance, some travellers reported paying 5,000 baht for a one-way ticket.

It shows a ceiling of 18,148 for BKK-HKT R/T (economy), 9,074 one way.

I think they use some standard rate, measured in baht/Km, for all routes.

the processing fees while making payments is daylight robbery. same same some other ticketing companies dealing with concerts. per payment should have processing fee on one payment, and not on per person basis. 200 baht processing payment, 1 person = 200 baht, 2 person= 400 baht, but just one payment.  no one says anything but quietly pay. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Transport Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit spearheaded the discussion, urging airlines to account for the soaring prices during extended weekends and holidays.

It's called gouging, pure and simple.

Peek times yes demand is high and flights are full, but that does not mean the price for tickets should exceed the base price at other times. A full airplane means a forecasted profit.

The cost to the airline for providing the service does not increase because of a holiday period.

• Thumbs Up 1

Domestically all these airlines seem to be only to fly north or south. There are no east to west flights. They ignore low capacity airports. Phetchabun hasn't had a flight for many years. But the airline could easily fly BKK to KK across to Phetchabun and on to Phitsanulok then back to BKK both circle route in each direction. Not everybody wants to travel to BKK. Plus they could make more money carrying parcels for the delivery companies and the Thai post along with other freight, employ more local staff and advertise better. What's wrong with flying connection via BKK to phitsanulok onto Changmia . that just a couple of ideas.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

They are in cahoots with each other.

In other words, PRICE FIXING!

I think you are onto something.  I checked with Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways and even Air Asia.  The fares for round trip from CNX to BKK all were over 3500 Baht for late April and early May.  Bangkok Airways was over 4000.  I thought Air Asia would be much cheaper but it was not. 

Perhaps the airlines don't mind (half-full) flights. The hotels will not be happy either because people won't fly to Phuket, Krabi, Samui, etc. If you live in Central Thailand and have a car, you can drive down the coasts and stay at quiet and deserted beaches. You don't need the airlines with their expensive tickets.

Last time I dealt with a Thai airline they tried to overcharge me for a small suitcase, and then told me I had to buy a seat fot my modestly sized acoustic guitar. Then since they had made a schedule change such that I was entitled to a refund, they refused the refund. I booked through Agoda whose office is near my place in the US, so (yes I’m mad enough) I’ll be taking Agoda to small claims court. No airline with any customer courtesy ever refuses a guitar as carry on to be stored in a closet. It’s even a law in the US that airlines make those accommodations. It’s also the principle of the thing. I dan’t like anyone crookedly trying to take advantage of me.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

They also make money by charging ridiculous prices for "overweight" baggage. Most if not all of the Int'l airlines have a 23 kg limit, Thai domestic and I believe Air Asia are at 20KG's per bag. So when you transfer to a domestic flight, it is lower by design. The fees are in the thousands of Baht for overweight by a few KG's. My wife tore up a ticket counter person about that. I thought she was going to get blacklisted, she is normally mild mannered, but mess with our money and watch out.

My friend will fly to bkk or the south,he checked about a mth ago.Was 1500 it was now 6000 baht.He booked the flight but all airlines the same with the high season and high price.They know what they are doing like the taxis or transport in the south,rip off the farang first

On 2/22/2024 at 9:48 AM, flyingtlger said:

They are in cahoots with each other.

In other words, PRICE FIXING!

Teach them all a lesson, don't fly and have a party at home, if enough people say ENOUGH!!!!  They might learn but TIT, there has been so much miss-management over many years its probably too late, the last election pretty much says it all. 

Thai airlines vow cheaper domestic flights after public outcry

They do the same as most, Price gouging trying to make up for the few years they lost a lot of money from  the Covid situation. 

Greed is a nasty sickness . they should've increased the prices just a little.

They talk as if the price sets itself and they have no control….

it their website, the algorithm they use, the max prices that they enter. 

why does it need extra flights? Cap the price - could do that today.  Yes the flight will be full - that’s good for them isn’t it? People will find a flight on another day or with another airline. 

🗣️ 🗣️ 

This is some of the unitended consequences of the government policies of just letting everyone in. 

Rent, air fares, everything will go up.

The original theory behind giving short term visas, was so Thai people would still be able to afford accomodation and rents would not rise massively with foreigners staying long term. At a whim the current government has just granted long term visas some nationalities and wants to extend it. 

No handbreaks on the sheer volume of tourists they are just letting in, good spenders or not - and it will just get worst.