Express VPN Issues

stix40

Guys

Anyone having issues using express VPN on any of the UK locations.

Usually very good , but every other locations ie Singapore, USA , etc etc 

Download speeds are ok but any UK links download speed is nearly non existent.

Thanks in advance.

I used Express VPN in China...for about a year.

GuangZhou

ChengDu

I received quite good support.

Maybe you can just contact Express VPN, and ask?

Also, as far as I know, these guys at Express VPN are located on a beautiful tropical island.

I forget which one, at the moment.

My Chinese friend uses Express VPN anytime he returns home, behind the Bamboo Curtain.

I would continue to use Express VPN, for sure, if I needed to return to China.

Hopefully, I will not need to, not until the demise of Xi.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, stix40 said:

Thanks gamma

I have been InTouch with express VPN and have gone through the normal checks but not resolved.

I've got express VPN but usually don't use UK servers.

I found the help is not very helpful.

Just keep plugging on with help requests, that's what I did and eventually prob. was sorted.

I think, the VPN server I was using in Aus had it's IP addresses blocked. Anyway all came good when they installed another server.

I'll switch to UK servers and try.

6 hours ago, stix40 said:

Thanks gamma

I have been InTouch with express VPN and have gone through the normal checks but not resolved.

Hopefully, the guys at Express VPN will provide the support you need, in due course.

When I was in China, they did spend quite a bit of time working with me to help me get some apps working from behind China's Great Firewall.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I've got express VPN but usually don't use UK servers.

I found the help is not very helpful.

Just keep plugging on with help requests, that's what I did and eventually prob. was sorted.

I think, the VPN server I was using in Aus had it's IP addresses blocked. Anyway all came good when they installed another server.

I'll switch to UK servers and try.

Well I tried the UK servers (2) and could not even register for BBC, kept dropping out my password.

Maybe BBC doesn't like me.

Sorry

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2024 at 7:09 AM, carlyai said:

Well I tried the UK servers (2) and could not even register for BBC, kept dropping out my password.

Sorry

The BBC seems to have a way of detecting you are using a VPN and then refusing access. I use VPN Unlimited and it says content isn't available in my location, despite linking to a UK server.

It's a very weird world in which companies spend a fortune making programmes and then forbid people from watching them. It reminds me of the old days of Napster, when people were able to download music, and the record companies finally woke up and allowed people to download their music directly for a small fee. Maybe tv will catch up eventually, and realise there is a worldwide market for their product and allow people to give money to them instead of IPTV services. But it seems they'd rather spend money using people to hunt down those providing the service they themselves refuse to offer, rather than make money selling subscriptions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i've been using Nord for a few years, needed support initially to get it up and running and their support was excellent. since then no issues, easy to use and effective for all uk tv channels. i managed to get a great deal with them, 3 years for 90GBP

Edited by it is what it is

On 2/27/2024 at 7:09 AM, carlyai said:

BBC is a hard nut to crack. They seem to use sophisticated methods for VPN detection.

(I tried it quite a while ago out of curiosity)

I am using NordVPN since long. Expires in June and I will extend with the additional option of a dedicated IP address. Should make detection more difficult.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I'm currently using Express VPN here in Thailand. Connecting to the East London server. It said an updated version is available but haven't bothered with it. Watched several episodes of a series on BBC iPlayer last night and then switched to MY5 and ALL 4 with no problems at all. Can't seem to access ITVX though.

I am sure they all could block VPNs if they want by just measuring the PING time, but I can't see why they would want to.

This geoblocking is crap. They say it's to protect content, but I think it's to do with adds.

If I look at the same overseas site and same program on both 3BB fibre internet connection, and True smartphone connection, at the same time, the program content is the same but the adds are different. 

So if the host site has lots of different feeds, they have lots of different adds = lots more money.

I reckon a way to get around blocking of VPN IPs would be to have a say Microsoft Server set up at your relations place and VPN to that server.

When I added Express VPN to my firestick the other day, on the home screen there was a toggle to click for 'dont show adverts' which I did. I noticed last night that on ALL 4 I get a blank screen with buffering for about 2 mins when there should be adverts. However, on MY5 it cuts immediately back to the next section of the program. Obviously not an issues with the ad free BBC iPlayer