James Anderson: England bowler in 'best shape' after reaching 700 Test wickets

CharlieH

image.png

England bowler James Anderson says he is "not getting any worse" but his place in the team is "not a given".

Anderson, 41, became the first pace bowler to take 700 Test wickets during defeat in the fifth Test in Dharamsala as India sealed a 4-1 series victory.

England do not play another Test until a three-match series against West Indies starts on 10 July, followed by three Tests against Sri Lanka.

"I'm really excited for the summer," Anderson told the Tailenders podcast.

"I want to make sure I'm playing well and earn my place in the team."

Anderson, who took 10 wickets in four Tests at an average of 33.5, said he bowled "really well" in India, having struggled to make an impact during last summer's home Ashes against Australia.

"I'm not getting any worse," he added. "I'm definitely in the best shape I've ever been in.

"I like where my game is at and I still have that enjoyment of turning up every day and trying to get better in the nets.

"My place in the team is not a given so I've got to work hard to prove I'm worth a place in the summer."

Anderson said England are "in a good place" going forward under captain Ben Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum, despite the heavy defeat by India.

READ MORE

sPORT-bbc.png