Internet Banking Without A Work Permit?

The last time I asked my bank (Bangkok Bank) about internet banking they told me that I would need a work permit (for what anyways, to check my account balance?). I imagine it's still the same today. Does anyone have internet banking with another bank, maybe Kasikorn or something and they didn't require a work permit?

The last time I asked my bank (Bangkok Bank) about internet banking they told me that I would need a work permit (for what anyways, to check my account balance?). I imagine it's still the same today. Does anyone have internet banking with another bank, maybe Kasikorn or something and they didn't require a work permit?

Got kasikorn & Ktb Internet Banking without problems and wp . Bangkok Bank was also the Bank i tried to start off first , but there are just too many no's of what services are not being offered to foreigner without wp , one of these no's was the Internet Banking (this was about 2 years back and i didn't bother to check again). Furthermore i was only able to open and account with them in BKK but i am not living there , so it was not practical for me.

If i remember correctly on one of your previous posts , you had issues with Bangkok Bank before(but i may be wrong).

Perhaps a change of bank can make life/banking a bit easier?

rcm

Edited by rcm

I went into my Bangkok Bank Branch, asked about internet banking

To allow me to see my account balance on line, ……..I had to show them ..

My Bangkok Bank Pass Book (savings account)

My passport showing a current Non ‘O’ Visa ( No work Permit )

The clerk filled out the forms, I signed them

And they told me I would receive a letter from

The bank containing my log on details, and one week

After that I would then receive my log on password.

Well surprise surprise , the letter arrived one week

After my application, and one week later a second

Letter arrived containing my log on pass word.

Ive used this service with out a problem …

Mumbo

I wonder what can and can't be done with on-line banking in Thailand these days.

Things are so old fashioned in the brick and mortar side of banking here. For instance, I have to go to the main branch downtown where I opened my account if I want to deposit a check (money order type thing). I have a USD account that I can't do much with up here in Phitsanulok. The bank book has to be sent to BKK for updating and even though customer service on the phone said that they could let me transfer funds from it to my Baht account here, the main branch didn't know what to do. I have to go to BKK for this.

If tried to make on-line purchases with my BB "Visa" debit card, but I found out it is not accepted by most on-line merchants.

The last time I checked into the cost of on-line banking, it didn't seem worth it for my needs.

I thought I mention this because on-line banking here might not mean the same as it does back home

Edited by Upcountry

Bangkok Bank no can do (I closed my account)

Siam Commercial and Krung Thai : no problems

For payments to third party from your account, SCB requires you to go to the branch where you have the account

Krung Thai allows you to add new third parties online with a pin system to your mobile phone

Edited by Krub

• 1 month later...

Well I went to Bangkok Bank yesterday and tried once again to get Internet Banking for my accounts that exist now for over 3 years. It went something like..

Me: I'd like to apply for internet banking for my accounts.

Bank Lady: Can do, do you have a work permit?

Me: No.

Bank Lady: Ok one moment.

(she goes check something in the back office and comes back..)

Bank Lady: Sorry only Thai people can have internet banking, not foreigner.

Me: But you just asked me if I had a work permit...?

Bank Lady: Yes. If you have work permit you can open sir.

Me: Nevermind, thanks anyways.

I walked down the street into the next Kasikorn branch, right before it closed at around 3-4pm and got a brand new savings account in less than 5 minutes. Didn't need to fill any forms or anything, they just copied the first page of my passport, didn't even want to see my visa. I told them I needed internet banking as well and they said I should receive my access code in the morning. Sounds good.

This morning I checked my email and my internet banking access from Kasikorn arrived at 1:48AM! Now that's service! :o

Like rcm, the no internet banking without W/P was the last no I could tolerate from BKK bank. Moved to SCB, love their online banking and haven't been into my branch in a year or more.

The second to the last no was when a bank manager told me he couldn't give me the standard account verification letter for immigration, the year after he gave me one. I had a clear picture of him very officially turning on his computer, finding the correct form, inserting the data and printing it out. Charged me 300 Baht and away I went.

A teller in that branch, who speaks excellent English and is married to a falang, was consulted and she verified that they don't issue such letters at that small branch and never did. Hah, of course she backed up the manager.

Went to a large branch and consulted the manager and was advised point blank in excellent English that the other branch manager was wrong and could have downloaded the letter on his computerm as all branches have this standard form available on their computers.

Unbelievable, but then again, as the largest bank in Thailand, it must have BankAmerica-itis. Don't get me started on that bank.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Well I went to Bangkok Bank yesterday and tried once again to get Internet Banking for my accounts that exist now for over 3 years. It went something like..

Me: I'd like to apply for internet banking for my accounts.

Bank Lady: Can do, do you have a work permit?

Me: No.

Bank Lady: Ok one moment.

(she goes check something in the back office and comes back..)

Bank Lady: Sorry only Thai people can have internet banking, not foreigner.

Me: But you just asked me if I had a work permit...?

Bank Lady: Yes. If you have work permit you can open sir.

Me: Nevermind, thanks anyways.

I walked down the street into the next Kasikorn branch, right before it closed at around 3-4pm and got a brand new savings account in less than 5 minutes. Didn't need to fill any forms or anything, they just copied the first page of my passport, didn't even want to see my visa. I told them I needed internet banking as well and they said I should receive my access code in the morning. Sounds good.

This morning I checked my email and my internet banking access from Kasikorn arrived at 1:48AM! Now that's service! :o

they are good, and have a pay anyone function. We stick with UOB though, as with the debit card I can get Thai FF miles!!!