Gps In Bangkok

Good day!

I would like to ask people who's driving in Bangkok - is that realy so usefull?

If yes, may be somebody familiar with such devices like MIO C220 and MIO P350?

Getting lost in Bangkok is a real bummer. I KNOW. A GPS is a great device. The device will tell you how to get where you want to go and then back home. With that out of the way the next step is what device to use. I have never seen the maps for Bangkok that are available for PDA's or cell phones. When I researched a Nokia N 95 I found there were no maps available for anywhere other than Bangkok. As far as I know the only routable Thailand wide maps are designed for Garmin devices. I have two Garmins. One is the eTrex Legend CX hand held and although it will do about everything the bigger ones will do, the screen is VERY small and it has no voice. I also have a Street Plot 2610. It actually talks to you so you don't have to look at the screen. I certainly wouldn't recommend a hand held for driving. The hand held is great to keep in the glove box. If you become lost it will tell you where you are and how to get back to a waypoint that you have programmed in. Using it to navigate is not very safe. You need to focus on the road and NOT your little GPS.

Good day!

Getting lost in Bangkok is a real bummer. I KNOW. A GPS is a great device. The device will tell you how to get where you want to go and then back home. With that out of the way the next step is what device to use. I have never seen the maps for Bangkok that are available for PDA's or cell phones. When I researched a Nokia N 95 I found there were no maps available for anywhere other than Bangkok. As far as I know the only routable Thailand wide maps are designed for Garmin devices. I have two Garmins. One is the eTrex Legend CX hand held and although it will do about everything the bigger ones will do, the screen is VERY small and it has no voice. I also have a Street Plot 2610. It actually talks to you so you don't have to look at the screen. I certainly wouldn't recommend a hand held for driving. The hand held is great to keep in the glove box. If you become lost it will tell you where you are and how to get back to a waypoint that you have programmed in. Using it to navigate is not very safe. You need to focus on the road and NOT your little GPS.

Thanks! That's really usefull advise! I will buy one. What about the map of the road to Pattaya, is it there is also in Garmin?

Maps available for Garmin cover ALL of Thailand.

Thanks a lot! I just would like to ask - is there any altenative to Garmin? Garmin seemed to be quite expensive...

As far as I know Garmin is the only unit that works with the available maps. I think you'll find that Garmin is not really that expensive but rather the ESRI map is expensive.

Bear in mind that they're not flawless. My unit (Garmin 2620 IIRC) occasionally gets mixed up in BKK because of flyovers (ie the accuracy is not good enough to work out if you're on one or under it). Also, it's quite common to lose the signal because of tall buildings and those same flyovers, so it's always a good idea to have a look at the screen from time to time to work out where you should be turning next, rather than just relying on the voice prompts.

Having said that, I wouldn't think of driving anywhere I hadn't been to before without the gadget. Done many a road-trip around the country and it's only mucked up very occasionally (once insisted I should try and cross the River Kwai where there wasn't a bridge...).

Between Chum Pae and Khon Kaen mine has problems. This is mostly four lane highway 12. I says off route, recalculating and then repeats it about five times. Thirty seconds later it repeats that message. I have to turn it off for a while until I get past that approximately ten kilometer stretch. Same thing on highway 201 on the north side of Loei. It probably has other glitches that will pop up in the future. Even with those problems it is still quite amazing.

Good day!

VERY useful. I use the Garmin Street Pilot. Best buy I ever made.

Anyone got any input on a garmin street pilot I3................ at 14,700B it seems to be bargin.

TIA

A good device. Very good value for money. I use a Garmin QUEST with maps downloaded from a GPS commuunity site. Drove all around BKK and SE Thailand superp!

Only problem encountered was occasional loss of GPS signal on Suk Rd due to concrete overpass fr sky train.

Good day!

Thanks! That's really usefull advise! I will buy one. What about the map of the road to Pattaya, is it there is also in Garmin?

I have a street pilot 3 with garmin thailand installed, the map was 14000 baht and there is no discount available, ill take 22000 for it, i have all the accessories/box etc,.selling because i have bought a new garmin zumo 550 to go on my bike Edited by mikethevigoman

Maps available for Garmin cover ALL of Thailand.

Thanks a lot! I just would like to ask - is there any altenative to Garmin? Garmin seemed to be quite expensive...

As far as I know Garmin is the only unit that works with the available maps. I think you'll find that Garmin is not really that expensive but rather the ESRI map is expensive.

True, 14000 baht, no discount available, !

Anyone got any input on a garmin street pilot I3................ at 14,700B it seems to be bargin.

TIA

is that with a thai map installed ?

Yes , but no touch screen, instead it has a scroll wheel.

Cheers

TIA

is that with a thai map installed ?

Yes , but no touch screen, instead it has a scroll wheel.

Cheers

good value, its a discontinued model and they are probably knocking them out ,id say get one while you can . thanks https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=322 Edited by mikethevigoman

Was just on the phone with ESRI yesturday for a map for my GPS.

Thailand map was 11,200bht

They need two to three days lead time.

They also send out updates with there products.

If you purchase a unit with dead reckoning you can all but say good bye to loss of sat coverage in the Bkk jungle.