Disabled Msoft Software protection as was using 40-60% CPU now get "Activate Windows" msg

nglodnig

OK, my laptop was "upgraded" in a shop in Computer Plaza Chiang Mai many years ago to Windows 10 Home (harware is too old for 11). All was fine then I saw this software protection process in task manager banging away. I eventually got in disabled in "services" and CPU is fine - but getting this msg in the bottom right corner. My "trial" copy of Excel (and I assume other Office products) is disabled which is no biggie - I hardly use it, besides I have a legit copy on another machine (not here) so I can fix that when I go back and get the licence key (multi-device)

BUT question is will Windows eventually stop working altoghter?

I am loathe to do a full upgrade with a "legit" copy but Googling I see licence keys for sale for a few hundred baht it seems - how dodgy are these?

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

You can continue to use Win 10 without activation. You'll see the nag message and you can't use the desktop personalization options.

You may get fear mongering here about the cheap grey market keys. Been discussed before in other threads, I'm not getting back into it. In short, buy from a reputable, well-reviewed vendor on Lazada, Ebay etc., and you'll be fine.  

I got a free key on the Net...........🤗

• Like 2

My reading is you disabled anti virus protection and did not replace with something else so getting a notice to activate.  Just letting you know something is wrong (as most people want protection).  Am sure what you noticed with task manager was due nothing else needed processing - I would reactivate myself as it is kind of important to have protection - especially with older software version.  And Windows actually does a good job at protection.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

My reading is you disabled anti virus protection and did not replace with something else so getting a notice to activate. 

Nope - wrong reading sorry. I dsiable Microsoft Software protection which apparently checks to see if the MS software is legal - I left Defender untouched. And it worked - it was taking 40-60% CPU every few minutes - now my machine is running great (albeit with an annoying msg on the bottom right)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Nope - wrong reading sorry. I dsiable Microsoft Software protection which apparently checks to see if the MS software is legal - I left Defender untouched. And it worked - it was taking 40-60% CPU every few minutes - now my machine is running great (albeit with an annoying msg on the bottom right)

Sorry took the protection as meaning defender - my mistake - would go with others with suggestion to obtain valid activation number as not much cost.  Also not sure if you are/have got updates with system not activated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nglodnig said:

BUT question is will Windows eventually stop working altoghter?

Nope. Not based on licensing although you may get nag-ware.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Also not sure if you are/have got updates with system not activated.

Got an update a few weeks ago - that'll do me until I come up with a permanent solution up to and including a new Windows 11 latop but the machine works fine and I hate uopgrading just for licence reasons.

50 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Asking for trouble. Not recommended.

what kind of trouble?

police stations and even hospitals are using it

btw the confused emoji wasnt from me... so i guess someone else agrees with my solution

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

And I didn't even bother with doing that. But I think for various reasons the OP is better off just spending B300 or so.

My free one works perfectly well, even put it on a chums LT, but, up to you......😉

A 300 bht one is likely from a similar place, as a new W10 costs quite a lot in comparison.....🤗

2 hours ago, transam said:

My free one works perfectly well, even put it on a chums LT, but, up to you......😉

A 300 bht one is likely from a similar place, as a new W10 costs quite a lot in comparison.....🤗

Are here to offer helpful advice for the OP or merely rationalize and pat yourself on the back?

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Are here to offer helpful advice for the OP or merely rationalize and pat yourself on the back?

I can give my advice here if I want, don't get upset........😰

On 3/26/2024 at 8:15 PM, nglodnig said:

Same experience replacing Defender with a higher quality anti-malware program after replacing a damaged hard drive.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:26 PM, lopburi3 said:

Also not sure if you are/have got updates with system not activated.

FYI got an update two days ago and it is still checking daily so all seems fine - getting my Defender updates!

Otherwise here is a good webpage were you can buy activation keys very cheap and full legit. The only is there is no support from Microsoft for this keys. But who needs that?

https://pixelcodes.com/

Just buy a windows 10 key and and an Office key and you are fine. Or uninstall Office so you will get rid of the annoying message. You said you are not using Office anyway so...