Is it possible to bring forward retirement renewal

My renewal is end of December and i know it can be renewed a up to a month earlier, my question is

is it possible to request that my renewal will be from now on, a month or two earlier,

as it's more covenant with my overseas travel scheduled or i have to start the whole process a new?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very good question. I was fortunate enough that my annual extension always falls at a time when I will be in Thailand (late March/early April) and I renewed last week at 44 days before expiry (Bangkok).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, reports of being able to do an extension early, (eg couple of weeks) added to the normal 30 days and some offices 45 is possible. 

That has occurred where there has be evidence of necessary travel and some evidence such as flights etc.

However that does not change your ongoing "renewal date" 

The only way to do that is to start over.

If married to Thai you can change the date by obtaining a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

In addition an agents may be able to assist with earlier renewal. 

Thanks, that's what i was afraid that I will have to to do is start over, as the spring/summer in 

Melbourne Australia start in October/November and I'm stuck in Thailand in those months

for the renewal..

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

Thanks, that's what i was afraid that I will have to to do is start over, as the spring/summer in 

Melbourne Australia start in October/November and I'm stuck in Thailand in those months

for the renewal..

Yes important to have a renewal window at a time that suits the individual.

If the preference is to have your renewal few months earlier then obtaining a new non O on return entering visa exempt not a huge deal.

If that option is chosen make sure not to obtain a reentry permit. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

When does your passport expire? If it expires mid year then you could do your extension and they will only give you permission to stay till the expiry date on your passport. Your future extensions would be due on that new date. Not much use for this year but if your passport expires in a couple of years it would save you having to start again.

Not true.  Take old and new passports to immigration and they transfer the satmp(s).

• Confused 1

Interesting post, I never thought about all this before. I was previously spending most of my time in Thailand, but now I'm swinging more towards a 50-50 situation. Fortunately for me my retirement ext date is 31 July each year and that's right in the middle of the Aussie winter when I'm certain to be in Thailand.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, reports of being able to do an extension early, (eg couple of weeks) added to the normal 30 days and some offices 45 is possible. 

That has occurred where there has be evidence of necessary travel and some evidence such as flights etc.

However that does not change your ongoing "renewal date" 

The only way to do that is to start over.

If married to Thai you can change the date by obtaining a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

In addition an agents may be able to assist with earlier renewal. 

Agents (mine at least) can renew 3 months early  -  but, as Dr Jack said, it doesn't change your renewal date.

• Thumbs Up 1

... well, you could always choose the length of your next extension to better suit your needs in the future ... I believe the form asks for 'days of desired extension', no ...?

Edited by jollyhangmon
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Not true.  Take old and new passports to immigration and they transfer the satmp(s).

If your passport only has six months validity when you go for your extension then your extension will be granted up to the expiry date in your passport. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Why would you bring both passports back and get the stamps transferred if starting from scratch?

Better to come in with just the new passport!

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Becasue the post I repleid to said: 

which is not true.  This makes no difference to the OP, but may mislead others when their passport expires less than a year after their next extension.

PH

If you get an extension in a passport expiring within 12 months the extension date will match the passport expiry date.  If you then subsequently obtain a new passport and take both into immigration they will indeed transfer the stamps, but the expiry date will remain the same, they are not going to make up the time missing from the original extension.

I'm the OP, As i have found out, the best way is to forgo the retirement permit extension

and start all over again choosing the months where i want to be...

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Yeah, but the expiration date of your Permission To Stay will not be revised to what it should have been. They did that in the past but changed the policy some years ago. 

On 3/29/2024 at 5:08 AM, DrJack54 said:

Yes important to have a renewal window at a time that suits the individual.

If the preference is to have your renewal few months earlier then obtaining a new non O on return entering visa exempt not a huge deal.

If that option is chosen make sure not to obtain a reentry permit. 

This is what I would like to do.  My renewal date is in June.  I would prefer it to be January.  I want to spend less than 180 days in Thailand, but be able to spend at least 170 uninterrupted days in Thailand.  A retirement visa is the only way I know to do that.

Just to confirm, if I want have a recurring renewal date in January, I have to leave without a reentry permit and return in early October.  I would enter in a visa exempt status and then immediately apply for the change of visa to the 90 day Non-O.  The Non-O would expire in January at which point I can apply for the annual extension in January.  I will have kept my 800k THB in my account the entire time, if that matters.

Additional question...  Can I leave Thailand during the initial Non-O 90 day visa period, as long as I get a reentry permit?

Thanks, in advance!

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

Yeah, but the expiration date of your Permission To Stay will not be revised to what it should have been. They did that in the past but changed the policy some years ago. 

Apologies for giving out of date information

PH

3 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

This is what I would like to do.  My renewal date is in June.  I would prefer it to be January.  I want to spend less than 180 days in Thailand, but be able to spend at least 170 uninterrupted days in Thailand.  A retirement visa is the only way I know to do that.

Just to confirm, if I want have a recurring renewal date in January, I have to leave without a reentry permit and return in early October.  I would enter in a visa exempt status and then immediately apply for the change of visa to the 90 day Non-O.  The Non-O would expire in January at which point I can apply for the annual extension in January.  I will have kept my 800k THB in my account the entire time, if that matters.

Additional question...  Can I leave Thailand during the initial Non-O 90 day visa period, as long as I get a reentry permit?

Thanks, in advance!

Your plan is fine and will work.

Also yes to obtaining reentry permit to exit and return when you have 90 stamp from non O

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311886-visa-exempt-to-retirement-extension-process-and-cost/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your plan is fine and will work.

Also yes to obtaining reentry permit to exit and return when you have 90 stamp from non O

Thanks Dr. Jack.  Your support has always been very helpful over the years.  I appreciate it!

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 1:30 PM, Phulublub said:

Yes they transfer the stamps but this will not add any days onto the extension.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:45 PM, jollyhangmon said:

... well, you could always choose the length of your next extension to better suit your needs in the future ... I believe the form asks for 'days of desired extension', no ...?

There is the option to chose how many days you want your Extension to last, though I've never heard of anyone doing it before and you'd have to make it clear to the IO that you are requesting "less than a full year" on your Extension application (and then give him a plausible reason if he - or she - asks).
Being a seasonal traveller would be a justifiable reason - though that could depend on the IO and any particular quirks of that particular Immigration Office of course.

This is from my Extension application:

immigration.jpg.b847e8d1e1f3c0cd0e6036145f2f929e.jpg

At Jomtien I think they allow you to apply up to a month before your current extension expires but they will not change the dates of your Extension. So even though I apply in early April, my new Extension date will still be in early May of next year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

There is the option to chose how many days you want your Extension to last, though I've never heard of anyone doing it before and you'd have to make it clear to the IO that you are requesting "less than a full year" on your Extension application (and then give him a plausible reason if he - or she - asks).
Being a seasonal traveller would be a justifiable reason - though that could depend on the IO and any particular quirks of that particular Immigration Office of course.

This is from my Extension application:

immigration.jpg.b847e8d1e1f3c0cd0e6036145f2f929e.jpg

At Jomtien I think they allow you to apply up to a month before your current extension expires but they will not change the dates of your Extension. So even though I apply in early April, my new Extension date will still be in early May of next year.

Thanks for the info, however living in Thailand for nearly 40 years thought me that asking for unorthodox 

and complicated arrangements are, most of the times better left alone, and starting a new is a simpler

way to go about it as i have no qualms in coming in as a one month tourist, get the 3 months extension

and than re-apply to the retirement permit to suit my travel plans...