Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival Locations and Dates

biervoormij

I can find that the Yasothon rocket festival will be taking place between the 10th and 12th of May but I would like to go to some of the smaller locations.  Does anyone know where to find some information on the festivals in other provinces?

Last year I showed up in Yasothon a week early for the festival due to the election. The hotel had this flyer so I got to attend some of the village festivals in the week I had to kill.  I seemed to enjoy the village festivals as much as the big one in Yasothon city. If there are flyers like this in your area or banners like the picture I would be grateful if you are willing to share them.

Thanks in advance to any help you can provide.

IMG_20230513_194644688.jpg

IMG_20230514_095229923_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I can find that the Yasothon rocket festival will be taking place between the 10th and 12th of May but I would like to go to some of the smaller locations.  Does anyone know where to find some information on the festivals in other provinces?

Last year I showed up in Yasothon a week early for the festival due to the election. The hotel had this flyer so I got to attend some of the village festivals in the week I had to kill.  I seemed to enjoy the village festivals as much as the big one in Yasothon city. If there are flyers like this in your area or banners like the picture I would be grateful if you are willing to share them.

Thanks in advance to any help you can provide.

IMG_20230513_194644688.jpg

IMG_20230514_095229923_HDR.jpg

The annular rocket festival, shown in the video in the post preceding this one, is in Kutwa, Kuchinari amphoe, Kalasin province.

It is held a week after the Yasothon festival so it will be 17th-19th May.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

There are many rocket festivals every year and the dates change constantly from 1 year to the next.

Some festivals are Amphur driven and some are local Tambon affairs so it's difficult to be able to pin down anything unless you have boots on the ground.

The Yasothon one is by far the most prestigious as it's what the province is most famous for.

• Thanks 2

Last time I went to a small local festival (they were banned in Buriram after this) I really enjoyed seeing monks with cigarettes in their mouths manually preparing gunpowder. I also enjoyed the news of a couple (both married, but not to each other) that got incinerated in a car by a crashing missile. 

I would go again but now it would be a long drive.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Enoon said:

The annular rocket festival, shown in the video in the post preceding this one, is in Kutwa, Kuchinari amphoe, Kalasin province.

It is held a week after the Yasothon festival so it will be 17th-19th May.

Thanks for the information it is very helpful.  I will look for a hotel and plan to attend.

Is it like the Yasothon festival where the rockets are early on Sunday morning?

Hi  -

I too am going to be is Yasothon  May 10-12  and Kuchinarai May 17-19.  I have accommodation booked, but would be good to share information on times and option for travel such as taxi ??.. Solo traveller.

All info welcome

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

too am going to be is Yasothon  May 10-12  and Kuchinarai May 17-19.  I have accommodation booked, but would be good to share information on times and option for travel such as taxi ??.. Solo traveller.

Also would like ideas on what to do between the 2!

On 4/6/2024 at 2:31 PM, biervoormij said:

Is it like the Yasothon festival where the rockets are early on Sunday morning?

Never been to one but would love to go, are the locations easy to find / get to from accommodation and when you say early Sunday, what is early?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Pyro Chris said:

too am going to be is Yasothon  May 10-12  and Kuchinarai May 17-19.  I have accommodation booked, but would be good to share information on times and option for travel such as taxi ??.. Solo traveller.

Also would like ideas on what to do between the 2!

I will also be traveling solo but will ride my motorbike to Isan so will not be doing taxis.

I don't really have any good ideas of what to do between the 2 festivals. I did the frog museum in Yasothon and a couple of temples but the thing I really enjoyed was a few of the village festivals from the pink flyer I posted. I did find it a little difficult to find these but if you speak Thai you may find it easy.

28 minutes ago, alant said:

Never been to one but would love to go, are the locations easy to find / get to from accommodation and when you say early Sunday, what is early?

In Yasothon if you stay in the city center it is easy to get to the location of the rockets. It may be hard to find a hotel in the city now. I looked on Agoda yesterday and did not see anything in the center.

I have not been to Kutwa, Kuchinari so have no idea.

The schedule I got from my hotel last year said the rockets would start at 7 in the morning. I think they did not really get going until about 9. I attached the schedule from last year, sorry I only have the Thai version and had to run everything through google translate.

IMG_20230513_194640282.jpg

• Like 1

in fact I double booked 2 hotels YASOTHON city centre  - let me know if I can help..

i would rather not drive as there seems to be quite a bit of drinking involved   (-:

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, biervoormij said:

In Yasothon if you stay in the city center it is easy to get to the location of the rockets. It may be hard to find a hotel in the city now. I looked on Agoda yesterday and did not see anything in the center.

The schedule I got from my hotel last year said the rockets would start at 7 in the morning. I think they did not really get going until about 9. I attached the schedule from last year, sorry I only have the Thai version and had to run everything through google translate.

Poster translation from 2023

Schedule of Boon Bang Fai Festival, Yalothon Province for the year 2023,

Friday, May 19, 2023,
3:00 p.m. - Fireball contest
6:00 p.m. Cheering / Fireball Contest
19:00 hrs. Light, color and sound show, duty of the city district 与
21:00 p.m. Mini concert . PKCHANZ Saturday,

May 20, 2023,
8:00 a.m. - Royal trophy summoning ceremony
09:30 a.m. - Opening ceremony for the merit-fireball tradition - Beautiful parade contest - Ancient fire parade contest Sunday,

May 21, 2023 07:00 a.m. - Bitter, fancy fireball lighting competition and high fireball.

Edited by Pyro Chris
clarity
  • Thanks 1

That certainly has changed since the days I attended, about 20 yrs ago.   Compare now to then, and the past rockets seem like bottle rockets ... :cheesy:

If not for the crowds, almost worth visiting again.

Edited by KhunLA

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2024 at 11:11 AM, biervoormij said:

many thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

TAT put out the festivals of May on their webpage. The Yasothon and Katwa have been talked about on this thread already but the Roi Et in Suwannaphum from 29th of May to the 2nd of June is new to the thread. I also found the Ku Ka Sing Festival flyer in Roi Et as well. If I understand this correctly you would be able to see rockets in Ku Ka Sing on the 1st and then in Suwannaphum on the 2nd.

May2024-scaled.webp

img_1_1714198549929.jpg