Mike's Burgers! Double Double Big Burger

I went there over the weekend, all i can say is "Yuk"

The restaurant had about 6 staff just milling around behind the counter, 2 tables of people (one eating, the other waiting for food) the remaining tables were dirty with the baskets/drinks from the previous customers left there. The restaurant itself was full of flies (never a good sign!) and that yukky 'geasey' smell to the air

The burger i ordered was soaked in grease so much that the bun oozed grease when you touched it, the meat itself barely cooked, the fries were over cooked and had that old explosive/brittle consistency... in fact the only parts of the meal i enjoyed was the onion ring and the door out of there!

Put it this way, McDonald's beats that place hands down... and we all know McDonald's is cr*p!

Out of a possible score of 10, with 10 being the highest - I'm being generous to give the place a 1

I mention this in the thread on hanburgers in the Bangkok Forum. Went to Mikes with my lids.

The only word that can discribe this place is " terrible" and that is being polite.

I ate at Mikes in CM and this Bkk branch is not close to Mikes standard.

They will not stay in business more than 90 days unless they can be a tourist trap.

The kids did not go to school Monday because of the "runs" Thanks Mike.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard a lot of people claimimg that the quality at Mike's in Chiang Mai has gone down in the last few years and pretty much accepted it as true, however, today I had a bacon cheeseburger there and it was as good as ever. My guess is that people have just gotten used to having it around. :o

Sadly, my experience is pretty much the same. I've loved Mikes on my trips to CM but the Silom one was - frankly - awful, and I went there expecting - no, wanting - to enjoy it.

The staff got my order wrong and seemed angry at me for their mistake. 15 minutes later I got an undercooked burger that tasted crap and i was wary of finishing. Decent fries, though, and the onion ring is great.

I'll give it two more goes over the next month or so to give them a chance to get it right. If not, I'll limit my burger intake to the incredibly reliable lady on Soi 4.

I went to Mike's on Silom.

1. As far as I could tell, you have to order a set. You cant order just a burger which is kind of lousy because thats all I wanted. I went with the cheese burger set.

I didnt really like Mike's french fries. I thought they were too greasy. I much perfer the french fries in hachiban ramen, but maybe this is just my personal opinion. I put a little bit of the onion ring in my mouth and it again was definitely not to my tastes.

the burger was not bad, but it wasnt great. i could definitely make a better tasting burger myself on a grill, and the biggest thing to me was that there was no pickle on the burger which was disappointing. I dont know if you have to request pickles, or if theyre just not available.

If you could only buy the burger w/o the set, I would return, but otherwise no.

"I'll limit my burger intake to the incredibly reliable lady on Soi 4. "

???

Edited by bangkoksingapore

I went to Mike's on Silom.

1. As far as I could tell, you have to order a set. You cant order just a burger which is kind of lousy because thats all I wanted. I went with the cheese burger set.

I didnt really like Mike's french fries. I thought they were too greasy. I much perfer the french fries in hachiban ramen, but maybe this is just my personal opinion. I put a little bit of the onion ring in my mouth and it again was definitely not to my tastes.

the burger was not bad, but it wasnt great. i could definitely make a better tasting burger myself on a grill, and the biggest thing to me was that there was no pickle on the burger which was disappointing. I dont know if you have to request pickles, or if theyre just not available.

If you could only buy the burger w/o the set, I would return, but otherwise no.

"I'll limit my burger intake to the incredibly reliable lady on Soi 4. "

???

Mikes in Chiangmai you can order items separately.

OK, so I have given Mikes two more tires to see how it stacks up to my original impressions. Well, I am still not convinced and will give it another try in a month or so. They are having a real consistency problem; sometimes the meat is good, but the bacon is leather, etc. One issue, the service continues to have problems – getting things wrong despite the fact that I have them repeat it back to me. Again, these may be growing pains, which is why I will go back in a month or so – I really want to like this place.

I've been to Mike's in Silom twice now, also expecting and wanting to like it. I have loved Mike's burgers in CM. But the Silom outlet is just awful. Last night there were 6 workers stumbling around in the cooking area, a cashier and two other workers in the dining area. None seemed to know what they were doing. At one point there was a rather long queue of people waiting to order or pick up take away and they waited for a very long time, I think a few walked out instead of waiting. My partner and I had the same set but our orders arrived at different times, the second one at least ten minutes after the first. Yes the burgers were greasy but at least we insisted they be "well done", this was stressed in Thai and in English and they were cooked through. There is a feeling of failure about the place that is not conducive to a repeat visit. At the very least a farang manager is badly needed on site at all times!

After reading the posts here, i will not be going to Mike's Burger any time soon unless there are any improvements.

When in silom, I just usually go to Coyote.. and now have tried a Lebanese restaurant (forgot the name), but its opposite Taco Loco. That's highly recommended for some really yummy food and good service. :o

After reading the posts here, i will not be going to Mike's Burger any time soon unless there are any improvements.

When in silom, I just usually go to Coyote.. and now have tried a Lebanese restaurant (forgot the name), but its opposite Taco Loco. That's highly recommended for some really yummy food and good service. :o

Beirut, they are also in food by phone.

Waerth

Beirut, they are also in food by phone.

Waerth

The Beirut recently opened a shop at Sukhumvit, near Soi 11, in addition to the other one at Ploenchit Center, next to Villa Market.

What actually seems sp strange to me is that the owner of Mike's in Chiang Mai let's his good name being pissed away like this. This makes no businesssense at all to me. He made a good reputation in Chiang Mai and now here in Bangkok I hear nothing but complaints and I myself wasn't to impressed.

Basically he just threw away his money and his name

Waerth

I saw the place about two weeks ago as I was getting onto the BTS station and made a mental note to go try it out.

I just ate there for lunch today. I ordered the Cheesesteak combo. I didn't get that onion ring that was talked about. The fries were alright. The Cheesesteak was pretty greasy. It tasted as if it were over-buttered or something. I had to cut it in half cuz it was getting difficult to hold. The meat was tough and I resorted to just carving up the thing and eating it. The decor was very nice though. From the other posts on this thread, it seems like this place could use some improvement.

Have just heard that the Eurogourmet is gonna put in their larger Pork Burgers (on Friday) in Villa 33 and Thong Low again and next month they start selling their real charcoal bbq'd beef burgers again - those are the best burgers - pork and beef I have had here and the same for their sausages - they have a killer Cumberland

Just pop the burgers in Microwave and make your own - fantastic flavour and big burgers too :o

MIKE'S HAS IMPROVED !!!! ????

Went there and this is what I experienced:

Food:

Very good Philly Cheese steak, albeit buttery (some posters say "greasy") although I think it's supposed to be that way because some of us like it that way.

Meat was not tough at all (anymore?), as experienced by other posters.

Fries were fat and good.

Onion Ring (1 fat piece) was VERY good. Fabulous.

Service:

Was very quick. Waited only about 5 min. for my food.

They followed instructions properly. (I asked for no mayo and no ketchup and no mustard).

Area:

Was very clean, and used cups/utensils/trays were buzzed out immediately by staff.

I hope that this was not a fluke, and that they can keep it up from now on.

*My only "comment of concern". Staff member was very hardworking and attentive, but a bit too friendly and stood right beside my table and kept on talking to me and asking too many questions when I preferred to just relax enjoy my (good) steak sandwich and onion ring and fries. He spoke good English by Thai standards, and I felt that maybe he was taking advantage of an "opportunity" to "practice" his English with a foreigner. I tried some "subtle" hints, like reduced eye contact and looking away while he was talking, but he just didn't "get it" and kept on talking still and asking questions... until he was called for the kitchen for something I think.

Edited by junkofdavid2

Ate there again last nite... this time to try the burger (last time, I had the cheesesteak).

I went for the double burger with cheese and mushroom, with added bacon. (So 2 patties with cheese, mushroom, and bacon.)

Service was quick and good... without the "over friendly" staff member present (maybe his day off).

Burger was a little bit dry, but this was compensated by the melted cheese, VERY good fried mushrooms, and average bacon.

Fries were just as fat as last time and they were generous with it, but seemed not as good as last time (kinda "powdery")... maybe needed a little more frying?

The lone onion ring on top of the fries was very good but it was very SMALL compared to the last time

I wish they gave a bigger sized drink, considering my order was "Large" (meaning large drink and fries).

Next time, I will try the Chili Cheese Dog combo.

Hope this helps!

:o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anybody been lately?

Yeah, I went there today and it is closed == windows papered over and all. There is a computer printout sign saying "We will be back! See www.original.com" I thought that if they had that url hey must have some business savvy, but... go to the site. At a guess, it looks like the new proprietor spent all his funds opening and didn't set aside enough to keep running at a loss until he 1. trained his staff to make a decent burger and 2. built up clientele devoted to those quality burgers.