Cheapest SIM recommendation (6 months in/out of Thailand)

Hi folks, I would like some reco for cheapest and efficient sims package that you may know.

Im in TH for 6 months out to Oman and comes back to TH and do another 6 months (repeat)

I would like to keep my SIM active as for OTP purposes.

I rarely call or recieve calls. Sometimes use net when in cafes and stuff. (Mainly use wifi at my condo for youtube etc)

Is there like a prepaid packages which I can top up bare minimum to keep the number active?

I bought a True tourist SIM years ago.  If you just keep a small balance on it you can use from that to extend its validity (8.41 baht for 90 days) whether in or out of the country.  Can do it wherever you might be using the app on your phone.  And when you want data in Thailand just add a day/week/month pack, many to choose from.  And provided you've enabled roaming you'll get OTP's without any cost.

Maybe just get a regular AIS monthly prepaid package, cancel package when you leave, sim becomes PAYG, repeat next time. 150-300 baht probably enough based on what you say.

Can buy on Lazada or at AIS shop, one at airport, maybe 7 Elevens, not sure

Edited by scubascuba3

My method:

1) By True-M prepaid hello SIM in a 7-Eleven.

2) Download the True iservice app an Play store.

3) Make sure to modify login settings so you login with fingerprints. *

4) Use the app to buy any package you want, top up, buy validity, etc... **

5) Enjoy

* Make sure you choose the option that enables you to login with your fingerprints. Otherwise the system is gonna send you an SMS with a code and if you're abroad (not in Thailand) you might not get it.

** each time to top up you extend the validity of your card so buying validity might not even be something that you need to do. That said. 6 months validity would cost you... 14 THB.

I have a pre--paid AIS SIM for some years now and use mobiletopup.com to - top it up. I've also got an unlimited (but slow speed) internet option for 70 baht a month but I think that offer has long gone.

Edited by nglodnig
remembered how to spell "internet"

17 hours ago, MrPancake said:

My method:

1) By True-M prepaid hello SIM in a 7-Eleven.

2) Download the True iservice app an Play store.

3) Make sure to modify login settings so you login with fingerprints. *

4) Use the app to buy any package you want, top up, buy validity, etc... **

5) Enjoy

* Make sure you choose the option that enables you to login with your fingerprints. Otherwise the system is gonna send you an SMS with a code and if you're abroad (not in Thailand) you might not get it.

** each time to top up you extend the validity of your card so buying validity might not even be something that you need to do. That said. 6 months validity would cost you... 14 THB.

Hi thanks for indepth info. 

I downloaded the True ISERIVICE and i checked the extra pack prepaid.

Just wondering which package do you use?

5 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Hi thanks for indepth info. 

I downloaded the True ISERIVICE and i checked the extra pack prepaid.

Just wondering which package do you use?

Depends on what is on offer. I usually go for one of the flash deal

Right now I have a 30 days 46Go package. I paid 220THB for it I think.

I don't need more than 1.5Go per day and I don't really need a phone package.

I always have 10 or 20THB left on my balance and pay 0.5THB per minute if I ever need to call.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 10:59 AM, Upnotover said:

I bought a True tourist SIM years ago.  If you just keep a small balance on it you can use from that to extend its validity (8.41 baht for 90 days) whether in or out of the country.  Can do it wherever you might be using the app on your phone.  And when you want data in Thailand just add a day/week/month pack, many to choose from.  And provided you've enabled roaming you'll get OTP's without any cost.

Yep so easy with True.

I normally do twice yearly 180 day top ups for 12 baht or thereabouts