Chromecast and/or Firestick

NanLaew

I have a couple of perfectly good but not SMART televisions at home and I was wondering which would be the best option to get some alternative viewing.

I see that both Firestick and Chromecast are available locally (on lazada as well) but since I am in the UK at the moment, maybe get one or the other here? I only have a Netflix account and an infrequent viewer of BBC iPlayer. I don't have Amazon Prime, don't spend a lot of time on YouTube or other services. I appreciate that configuring a VPN will be required for some streams so is one easier to configure over the other?

Thanks,

NL

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have a couple of perfectly good but not SMART televisions at home and I was wondering which would be the best option to get some alternative viewing.

I see that both Firestick and Chromecast are available locally (on lazada as well) but since I am in the UK at the moment, maybe get one or the other here? I only have a Netflix account and an infrequent viewer of BBC iPlayer. I don't have Amazon Prime, don't spend a lot of time on YouTube or other services. I appreciate that configuring a VPN will be required for some streams so is one easier to configure over the other?

Thanks,

NL

I have both and prefer the Firestick as it comes with a voice activated remote. Chromecast is all done on your phone.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have both and prefer the Firestick as it comes with a voice activated remote. Chromecast is all done on your phone.

Good info. The Chromecast is the only device that allows you to cast from other devices right? I was reading that to access some geo-blocked streams, you need to configure a  VPN on Firestick. These need to be installed from amazon appstore which means bypassing the security protections that android/apple app stores provide.

Edited by NanLaew

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good info. The Chromecast is the only device that allows you to cast from other devices right? I was reading that to access some geo-blocked streams, you need to configure a  VPN on Firestick. These need to be installed from amazon appstore which means bypassing the security protections that android/apple app stores provide.

You can cast direct from the chrome browser on your PC too.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2024 at 6:04 PM, NanLaew said:

Thanks,

NL

Yes definitely 100% and I will do a graph on it