AirBnb host submitting information

AirBnb hosts are required to submit information about their guests to Immigration.

But do I need to submit a picture of the biodata of my passport to the host?

Or is supplying information of the passport data enough?

2 hours ago, bodo said:

AirBnb hosts are required to submit information about their guests to Immigration.

But do I need to submit a picture of the biodata of my passport to the host?

Or is supplying information of the passport data enough?

All hotels photocopy your passport (or are supposed to) upon check-in. Yes, AirBNBs are not hotels. Maybe you can send the photo they want but check with them if you can redact the more sensitive information you are worried about?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Do you need to submit a photo of the biodata of your passport to the host?  No.

Does the host need to allow you to stay in their home if you refuse?  No.

With other words, your first sentence is BS already. Obviously the answer is YES, if you want to stay at a legitimate place, anywhere In Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I stayed at an Airbnb once (for a legal stay of 30+ days), the landlord took pictures of my passport, filed a TM30 notification and provided me with the TM30 receipt. That's how it is supposed to be done. I checked with the landlord before booking, as I knew I'll need the TM30 receipt. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, deptrai said:

I've stayed at an Airbnb several times in Thailand.  All less than 30 days.  Never asked for my passport or passport number and Airbnb doesn't have it either.

I was just going to add similar

Stayed last October over Jomtien in Airbnb and nobody asked for anything

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

When I stayed at an Airbnb once (for a legal stay of 30+ days), the landlord took pictures of my passport, filed a TM30 notification and provided me with the TM30 receipt. That's how it is supposed to be done. I checked with the landlord before booking, as I knew I'll need the TM30 receipt. 

Airbnb are agents and very unusual for you to have direct contact with the actual owner.

They may be ideal for stays of less than 30 days, but if you have any intention of visiting an Immigration office for an extension, then airbnb's are not the recommended places to stay.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Airbnb are agents and very unusual for you to have direct contact with the actual owner.

They may be ideal for stays of less than 30 days, but if you have any intention of visiting an Immigration office for an extension, then airbnb's are not the recommended places to stay.

Quite the opposite: airbnb is a booking engine/agent, but they do not involve themselves with the actual processes of check-in etc. You will have direct contact with the owner or his/her locally appointed intermediary just like you would have direct contact with staff in a proper and legal accommodation establishment, such as a hotel.

49 minutes ago, Umlungu said:

Quite the opposite: airbnb is a booking engine/agent, but they do not involve themselves with the actual processes of check-in etc. You will have direct contact with the owner or his/her locally appointed intermediary just like you would have direct contact with staff in a proper and legal accommodation establishment, such as a hotel.

Tried obtaining a copy of owner's Tabien Baan and ID card to submit a TM30, from reports almost impossible.

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Airbnb has an option to contact the host of the property you're interested in renting. If something like doing the TM30 notification is imported to you (as it was for me), you simply do that before booking. As with anything else, some are willing and able to do it and others aren't.

9 hours ago, Chivas said:

I was just going to add similar

Stayed last October over Jomtien in Airbnb and nobody asked for anything

Why do you think they act like that? Here are some options:

Illegal to stay less than 30 days.

Not paying tax.

Airbnb required me to submit a passport to them online for a foreign reservation years ago. It stays on file in their system. I had to upload it before the booking was allowed.

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why do you think they act like that? Here are some options:

Illegal to stay less than 30 days.

Not paying tax.

No idea

The Airbnb owners themselves had over 105 listings and were incredible effecient and easy going overall