Non-immigrant "o" visa query

Re. Non-immigrant "O" visas, I would like to know the situation with regard to getting one (i.e. a one year multiple entry visa), where one has a Thai wife, but cannot satisfy the requirement of proof of income of 20,000 + baht / month. I have been given one month to come up with such a document by Immigration at Nong Khai, but as I'm not in regular full-time employment at present, think it'll be unlikely I'll be able to get it by the end of the month. Does this mean I can just go on leaving the country and renewing the 3 month visa, until such time as I have regular employment, or is there a limit as to the number of times one can do this?

Cheers for any advice

Yes.  You can obtain and use a normal or multi entry non immigrant visa (not sure if multi available in Vientiane) on basis of your marriage alone with no time limit but if you want to extend an entry you will need income.  So as long as you can cross the border every 90 days you should be ok.

You cannot legally work if you hold an O Non-Immigrant visa

If this is the case, I wonder why the immigration never informed me of this barrier to entry and it is not on their list of requirements. So does this mean that the 20,000 B / month they require has to be earned outside of Thailand, which further raises the question that if I do work in Thailand and want to do it legally, then I shouldn't bother with telling them I have a Thai wife and daughter, but just go for a non-immigrant B visa from ther start, and be shot of an "O" visa?

As usual in Thailand, the rules and regulations are a formidable barrier to those of us wanting to just settle down and live a quiet, peaceful life upcountry. Just getting a letter from the bank is enough hassle in itself.

???

I think the statement about not being allowed to legally work in Thailand with a non-immigrant "O" visa is not correct. As can be seen on www.thaivisa.com, immigration requires submission of a workpermit in case the foreigner is the supporter. Quote from part of the information from that site:

...7. Evidence to identify that the supporter or the one being supported has a Thai nationality or has residence in Thailand.

8. If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts....

8. If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts....

The above does not apply if you do not work here however.  Obviously you do not need a work permit if you are retired.