Jump to content

How long can you stay in Thailand with visa exemptions only?


Recommended Posts

Provided you leave and reenter by plane every month. 

 

Is it to the discretion of the immigration officier ? I can't find any indication or guideline that says I basically cannot do this forever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Boby011 said:

Provided you leave and reenter by plane every month. 

 

Is it to the discretion of the immigration officier ? I can't find any indication or guideline that says I basically cannot do this forever. 

The issue you could have is if immigration officer at the airport will check that you have too many exempt stamps in your passport, he could complain or not, is up to him. I come back to Thailand with a 30 days visa exempt but I don't leave the country every month, I am just doing a few border runs and after that I will exit. I like to come back to Thailand every 6 months or a year, I think no issues if you do like that 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Boby011 said:

Is it to the discretion of the immigration officier ? I can't find any indication or guideline that says I basically cannot do this forever. 

It's about length of time between visits.

Your OP seems to indicate stay 30 days visa exempt and bounce out for short period wash and repeat.

Eventually you will be denied entry.

Thailand has many visas available for longer stay such as METV 

 

The question of how many visa exempt is too many is posted on weekly basis.

Boring

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

I don't leave the country every month, I am just doing a few border runs and after that I will exit.

Isn't a border run classed as leaving the country?

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you can stay up to a year or so, but the next calendar year will give you problems at the airport for sure. It is better to stay 6-7 months without leaving the country, and have some months in between the trips.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I've did 270 days on visa exempt + 30 day extensions in 2022, albeit that was helped with a 60 day covid extension. No problems (all entries by air)

Stated almost like a badge of honor. 

I would suggest a better option would be a non O retirement plus subsequent annual extensions a better option.

 

However here againawith a visa exempt entry which as you point out is working for you. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, raz0r21 said:

It is better to stay 6-7 months without leaving the country, and have some months in between the trips.

How do you stay in Thailand for 7 months without leaving the country. 

The topic concerns visa exempt entries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

How do you stay in Thailand for 7 months without leaving the country. 

60 day tourist visa + 30 day extension + 2 border runs to cambodia with 30 day extensions . Well, technically you "leave" Thailand, but not really tho....

Edited by raz0r21
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Boby011 said:

Provided you leave and reenter by plane every month. 

 

Is it to the discretion of the immigration officier ? I can't find any indication or guideline that says I basically cannot do this forever. 

I've been doing this exact thing for 14 years now. It comes down to who you are, what you do for a living, and especially if you can converse and crack a few jokes in Thai. If you check all the boxes and aren't perceived to be a problem or (potential) burden in Thailand they will happily let you come "forever". Just need 13 more years of this and I can get the retirement visa. 

 

Someone who, for example, works in energy production will have a much better success rate in this than a Pattaya "Bar Manager". 

Edited by Aviatorhi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So someone could arrive in June on a tourist visa and get 90 days, then do 2 border hops with extensions until January. That's 7 months. 

Then January is a new calendar year and could do 2 more land border runs and stay 11 months total without any airport scrutiny. 

 

I wish I thought of this before I booked my trip in may:) 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

I think you can stay up to a year or so, but the next calendar year will give you problems at the airport for sure. It is better to stay 6-7 months without leaving the country, and have some months in between the trips.

thats me for last 15 yrs.....6 here 6 home...will be back in 2 weeks for year 16......rinse lather repeat......one way  no visa   30+ext and 2 allowed land hops 30+ext 30+ ext=6 months...done and done..3rd PP

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2024 at 10:43 AM, Aviatorhi said:

I've been doing this exact thing for 14 years now. It comes down to who you are, what you do for a living, and especially if you can converse and crack a few jokes in Thai. If you check all the boxes and aren't perceived to be a problem or (potential) burden in Thailand they will happily let you come "forever". Just need 13 more years of this and I can get the retirement visa. 

 

Someone who, for example, works in energy production will have a much better success rate in this than a Pattaya "Bar Manager". 

 

On a tourist visa? On exemptions at arrival? Funny reply indeed, but doesn't seem that this has anything to do with the former two.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

 

On a tourist visa? On exemptions at arrival? Funny reply indeed, but doesn't seem that this has anything to do with the former two.

 

Exemptions on arrival only, never had a visa... ever. Get an extension once or twice a year.

Edited by Aviatorhi
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Aviatorhi said:

 

Exemptions on arrival only, never had a visa... ever. Get an extension once or twice a year.

 

So you are flying in and out of the country 10-12 times per year, with no visa, getting only exemptions, and never had an issue with IOs? For 14 years?

 

 

Edited by AreYouGerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

So you are flying in and out of the country 10-12 times per year, with no visa, getting only exemptions, and never had an issue with IOs? For 14 years?

Sounds strange to me too. However I used to work with one interesting customer who flew back home almost every 2 weeks during couple of years. he said that IO just looked at him with eyes wide open )
He had no choice to come to Bangkok and check the quality before they (us) send products to his company. 

But that is different story

14 years! Wow!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Sounds strange to me too. However I used to work with one interesting customer who flew back home almost every 2 weeks during couple of years. he said that IO just looked at him with eyes wide open )
He had no choice to come to Bangkok and check the quality before they (us) send products to his company. 

But that is different story

14 years! Wow!

 

I mean I did the same for a couple of years before they introduced overstay bans but in today's time? I have doubts. It was at the time when my neighbors said why isn't only your passport leaving. Different times.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

It was at the time when my neighbors said why isn't only your passport leaving. Different times.

<deleted>

I used to know one "working girl" she used an agent to "let her passport travel alone". Finally when she had to go to MY she was arrested for fake Visa(s) and hence illegal entry. 

She ended up in Surat Thani jail. Not very pleasant jail between Thai jails as I've heard.

Edited by NativeBob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Yeah, you do remember those days! So many sweet memories, but later 200 >>500, 6 months only and finally - bans.

Is this remotely relevant to OP post.

Also it's 2024

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

 

So you are flying in and out of the country 10-12 times per year, with no visa, getting only exemptions, and never had an issue with IOs? For 14 years?

 

 

 

That's mostly correct. But I'm only coming and going 5 times a year. No issues ever. I work (abroad) month on month off. I used to do two weeks and two weeks, but that's just not enough time at home - still no issues when I was doing that. 

Edited by Aviatorhi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Aviatorhi said:

 

That's mostly correct. But I'm only coming and going 5 times a year. No issues ever. I work (abroad) month on month off. I used to do two weeks and two weeks, but that's just not enough time at home - still no issues when I was doing that. 

 

So, you're doing 5x 30 days + 30 days extensions?

 

So, you're in Thailand for 6 months, not for a full year.

 

And then, ... okay, wait, it's too cumbersome to deal with that story because nobody is staying here with 30 days extensions all year round. After a low amount you will be questioned and eventually denied. End of story.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2024 at 6:35 PM, AreYouGerman said:

 

So you are flying in and out of the country 10-12 times per year, with no visa, getting only exemptions, and never had an issue with IOs? For 14 years?

 

 

 

   They question people who stay in Thailand doing visas runs .

If you max out your 30 days visa and get it extended and they fly to Laos for a day , they will question you .

   If you fly back to Europe regularly for a few weeks , they wont question you .

They are looking for long term stayers on short term visas 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

 

So, you're doing 5x 30 days + 30 days extensions?

 

So, you're in Thailand for 6 months, not for a full year.

 

And then, ... okay, wait, it's too cumbersome to deal with that story because nobody is staying here with 30 days extensions all year round. After a low amount you will be questioned and eventually denied. End of story.

7-8 months. 

 

And his stipulation was "reenter by air every month"... Unless he's willing to fly BKK-SIN-BKK or something once a month to get a stamp (which is asinine), he will likely be "abroad" for more than a few hours. If you've got a few weeks between all your departure and arrivals it's a non issue. Only the OP can clarify this - not you or me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...