Wraps, Crusty Baguettes, Bagels, and Croissants

stament

Does anyone know where to buy fresh flour wraps in Chiang Mai please? I don't recall seeing any in the bakeries I have been to.

Secondly, any recommendations on crusty baguettes? I tried one from Nana but it wasn't crusty. I usually buy them from Big C Extra. I find them ok, but prefer something the outer coating to be a bit thicker and crustier, fussy guy that I am.

As I am on here I will ask for bagel and croissant recommendations too!

Thanks 

You are not going to find fresh flour wraps.  They have them in packages at Tops, Rimping and other markets.

Tops yes for Baquettes.  Look up a place called Bagel House cafe and bakery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crusty baguettes - Croco Pizza in Santitham.  Owner bakes his own bread and pizza crust daily.  Delicious.

Fresh flour wraps - not gonna find.  

Edit to add: 25 meters down the street from Croco is Ombra Cafe.  Some of the better croissants I've found recently, both butter and almond.  

Edit to add to the edit:  Bagel House Cafe, Moon Muang soi 8, is a solid recommendation for bagels.  Butter is Better also has pretty good bagels, especially if you like lox and cream cheese on top.  

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hideaway for bagels & all the fixin's + their craft cheeses....

They have a sister store in town, but I don't know the name or if they stock the same products....

True sourdough, especially a crusty bread that is acceptable is difficult.....

My wife has started making flour tortillas recently & it's been a nice addition......

Rim Ping & Makro have flour tortillas.... We don't live close enough in to use Lotus or Tops....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

I don’t eat bread in Thailand. They fooled me the last time back in ‘97

I've been coming to Thailand for 20 years before moving here almost 4 years ago.  Like you I gave up trying baked goods in Thailand.... they would look great but had no taste.

When I moved here, we happened to end up renting very close to Nana bakery.  I went in one day just before closing and remaining bakery products were 50% off so I bought some.  I was very satisfied with the quality so I've become a regular customer.  I've bought bread at other bakeries and been very impressed with the quality available now.   You might want to reconsider your decision.

• Agree 2

unfortunately, the french never colonised thailand hence, lack of aesthetically pleasing (or any) city planning and buildings, decent bread and bakeries and decent coffee.

fortunately, near my place there is an excellent bakery owned and run by a japanese baker.

50 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

If one cannot find "decent coffee" in Chiang Mai, one isn't putting in much effort.  Map of Chiang Mai coffee shops:

3cchw4b3u6hc1.jpg

Way too many, shows a lack of business ideas by most people.  Some, sorry many I see are empty most of the time.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses, I will try some out for sure. Maybe I wasn't clear so apologies but I wanted baguettes, etc from a bakery not readymade or eating at a cafe. I might not be able to make tortilla's but I can make my own baguette sandwich if I have the baguette of course! 😉

Now, where should I go today..... mmm

The best baguettes and croissants are from Chouquette bakery, Si Phum Corner. French baker, who imports his ingredients from France and bakes fresh daily. They also have French cafe style food, like omelettes, galettes and croquettes Monsieur, with excellent coffee as well. They also have branches in Maya and Hang Dong areas.

11 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I'm amazed so far nobody jumped out to suggest OP bakes his own, and how easy it is...

I've had trouble getting it to turn out well with the hot weather(too dense/poor rise)... I'm usually pretty successful, but not during this hot weather.....

The Ideal temperature for rising is about 75f.....

I second the recommendation for Chouquette Bakery (SiPhum corner of moat). Excellent food, bakery, deserts.  Baguettes are very crusty. Croissants are delicious! They are closed for renovation until Friday I think. 

I always use Saint Etoile in Central Rama 9. They bake really crusty baguettes - a large one is 60 baht. I absolutely recommend it. I believe they have many branches, but I have only tried this one.

35 minutes ago, 7euner said:

I always use Saint Etoile in Central Rama 9. They bake really crusty baguettes - a large one is 60 baht. I absolutely recommend it. I believe they have many branches, but I have only tried this one.

Perhaps you'd like to mail a few to the OP who was asking about where to find subject products in Chiang Mai.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Perhaps you'd like to mail a few to the OP who was asking about where to find subject products in Chiang Mai.

St Etoile Bakery is in Central Festival just outside Top supermarket.  I like the baguettes as well. Crispy crust but not too hard that it cracks every teeth you have. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

If one cannot find "decent coffee" in Chiang Mai, one isn't putting in much effort.  Map of Chiang Mai coffee shops:

3cchw4b3u6hc1.jpg

Yes but, search for "decent coffee shops"......