Thai man accuses RTP police chief of scapegoating in rape case

snoop1130

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5LRPjXkvyfBwLDideJWjBG00EYKTiLL10iMiUQqrKRpsiMXOGqz.jpg

A Thai man demanded 5 million baht in compensation from the Royal Thai Police (RTP), accusing a well-known police chief of being unjustly scapegoated and imprisoned for a rape he did not commit.

The 52 year old Thai man, Narin Chuekhomta, accompanied by his lawyer Ratchapon Sirisakorn, visited the Bangkok South Criminal Court on April 22 to file a complaint against the RTP and demanded 5 million baht in compensation for scapegoating him.

Ratchapon revealed to the media that Narin was arrested for allegedly raping a five year old girl in the Isaan province of Mukdaharn on June 24 of 2020 by officers from the Investigation Division of the Metropolitan Police Bureau (IDMB).

The arrest was conducted by officers from the Investigation Division of the Metropolitan Police Bureau (IDMB), led by Police Lieutenant General Thunpeerasit “Jae” Junpiphop, also known as Inspector Jae. Inspector Jae is well-known on social media among Thai netizens due to the active social media accounts of the IDMB.

Ratchapon claimed that Narin was made a scapegoat by Inspector Jae and his team. According to Ratchapon, the pictures of Narin and other men in the community were presented to the five year old victim during the police lineup. The girl knew Narin and identified him as the rapist, even though he was innocent.

Even after his arrest, Narin maintained his innocence. The Court of Appeal initially sentenced Narin to two years and eight months in prison. Fortunately, the Court of First Instance dismissed the case, citing suspicious police investigation procedures.

As a result, the sentence was later reduced to one year and three months due to the dismissal by the Court of First Instance.

Accused defends himself

Ratchapon added that Jae and his team also detained Narin in a police safe house for three days before the arrest warrant was issued, which was considered illegal. As a result, Narin decided to take legal action against the RTP after his release.

Speaking to the media yesterday, Inspector Jae defended himself and his team. He denied the accusation of scapegoating Narin and insisted that he had arrested Narin in accordance with legal procedures. Jae also sued Ratchapon for defamation in Sections 326 and 328 of the Criminal Law.

“I decided to take legal action this time to protect my reputation. I work every day to protect people. If I cannot even protect myself, how can I protect others? If me and my team really took the suspect to the safe house as the lawyer mentioned, why don’t you advise your client to sue me for illegal detention if such actions occurred? Legal knowledge is required if you are a lawyer.

Kom Chad Luek reported today, April 23, that the mother of the five year old victim filed a complaint at Koktoom Police Station in Mukdaharn on February 6 that Narin and his lawyer Ratchapon threatened her to change her testimony in court.

The mother alleged that Narin and Ratchapon wanted 5 million baht in compensation from the RTP and promised to share it with her if she went along with their plan but she refused. This prompted Narin and Ratchapon to threaten her.

The mother told Narin and Ratchapon to stop. She said she believed in karma and hoped Narin would be punished for what he had done.

According to reports on several Thai media outlets, Narin was also one of the suspects in the unsolved murder case of a three year old girl named Chompoo in the Mukdaharn province.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: The accused police officer, Thunpeerasit "Jae" Junpiphop| Photo via ThaiRath

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-23

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Court of Appeal initially sentenced Narin to two years and eight months in prison.

Apart from this case looking to be another useless and corrupt episode by the BIB and the chances of this bloke being innocent being extremely high when he was found guilty this was his senetence. Two years and eight months. Two years and eight months for the rape of a five year old. Say something bad about the king and you can get >15 years. Of course due to the BIB the actual perpetrator is still around somewhere.

Edited by dinsdale

It's about an accused, the mother of a rape victim, the police, inefficiency and/or corruption, face and the saving/loss of the latter and 5 million Thai Baht. 

The main subject should be the 5-years old little girl who, quite obviously, went through the most terrible experience in her life and that is not even a subject here anymore. I can only hope that she can blank out this memory. 

What have we become; we're monstrous greedy self-centered creatures and I am thoroughly ashamed 😞 I do not feel guilty over the incident, as I am not involved in any way but honestly, can society only focus on the first paragraph above? 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Apart from this case looking to be another useless and corrupt episode by the BIB and the chances of this bloke being innocent being extremely high when he was found guilty this was his senetence. Two years and eight months. Two years and eight months for the rape of a five year old. Say something bad about the king and you can get >15 years. Of course due to the BIB the actual perpetrator is still around somewhere.

That's the first part that made my jaw dropped. It then dropped some more when later in the report it mentions that the case was dismissed by another court, which only resulted in his sentence being reduced? WTAF. So we've learned two bizarre things: 1) rape penalties are ridiculously light and 2) you can have a case dismissed but remain in prison. 

• Agree 2

His lawyer was also involved in threatening the mother? I know lawyers will do a lot to get their clients off, but I've never heard of going this far. Also what makes this sound suspicious is this.............According to reports on several Thai media outlets, Narin was also one of the suspects in the unsolved murder case of a three year old girl named Chompoo in the Mukdaharn province.