Thailand Takes Action on Refugee Crisis Amid Thai-Myanmar Dispute

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Assawin Pinitwong

Thailand's government committee, under the leadership of Deputy Prime Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara, met for the first time to discuss the refugee crisis and enhance security prompted by the Thai-Myanmar border conflict.

Defence Minister Sutin Klungsang and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul accompanied the deputy PM on an inspection of the problematic Tak's Mae Sot district, where local officials reported just under 1,000 refugees sheltering.

Formed by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on April 11th, the committee focused on the impact of the Myanmar conflict on Thailand, from the expected arrival of refugees to the necessary security measures.

Nikorndej Balankura from the Foreign Affairs Ministry outlined the committee's three main objectives: safeguarding Thailand's sovereignty, preventing acts against the Myanmar government on Thai soil, and upholding humanitarian principles.

The National Security Council is responsible for closely watching developments in Myanmar, and the Foreign Affairs Ministry will collaborate with globally recognised bodies.

Nikorndej stated that the situation calls for ongoing assessment, but expressed hope that Parnpree’s upcoming visit would improve understanding of the dispute. He assured that Thailand plans to provide aid to refugees and mediate peace talks if required, whilst enforcing a strict ban on armed groups within Thai territory.

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-25

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's government committee, under the leadership of Deputy Prime Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara, met for the first time to discuss the refugee crisis

it has only taken three years to get to this first meeting.

Shame on you Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What complete hypocrites, I would like a reporter to ask him live on TV 

'Why did you allow the Junta's planes to land here ?'

'Why did you let them bring pickups loaded with money

across the bridge ?' 

'Is that not money laundering ? why did you allow that to happen? '

'Why did you stand by while they loaded it on the planes, and

let them fly out ?'

'You say that we are neutral yet you have allowed the junta access to his funds to prolong his Coup, is that correct Prime Minister ?

'Do you consider that as being Humanitarian ?'

'Prime Minister will you stop smiling like a demented clown, and answer my questions ! ? ..... ......... my rant may continue

All good points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

where local officials reported just under 1,000 refugees sheltering.

Does this include the one thousand or so Myanmar soldiers who surrendered along with their general to the rebels in the Tak's Mae Sot district? I doubt it.

I would expect the Myanmar junta would like the general's soldiers surrendered to the junta and not leave the country, or leave as refugees to Thailand who might then return them to the junta.