Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara Steps Down as Foreign Minister

snoop1130

Parnpree_Bahiddha-nukara_-_Nov_12,_2023.jpg

Foreign Minister, Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara, has announced his resignation from his post without revealing the specific reasons, except saying he wants to "uphold his principles". His resignation coincides with a cabinet reshuffle published in the Royal Gazette, which leads to his demotion from the deputy premiership but keeps him in the foreign minister role.

Parnpree stated his belief that his past roles as the deputy prime minister and foreign minister significantly benefited the country. “I have applied myself fully to my job and carried out my responsibilities effectively," he noted.

Parnpree also mentioned he hasn't informed Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin about his decision, which is effective immediately. He expressed assurance that a capable person will be appointed for both key positions.

When questioned about his future involvement with the Pheu Thai party, where he is a senior member, Parnpree responded that he remains fond of the party but isn't certain about his next steps. He will need some time to come to a decision.

His letter of resignation became popular on social media. When quizzed about the validity of the two-page letter addressed to the Prime Minister, he confirmed it, saying it was "more than real".

He outlined accomplishments within the letter, including negotiations for the release of 23 Thai hostages in Israel and the return of 8,000 Thais from Israel to Thailand. Apart from enhancing relationships with international entities such as the ASEAN, EU, India, and major global powers, he also launched visa-free agreements with some countries.

He expressed optimism that the cabinet reshuffle will lead to a more effective and transparent national administration, which will benefit the country. Lastly, He expressed his gratitude to the premier for the opportunity to serve in the government.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

Prime Minister Apologizes to Panpree and Promises to Take Responsibility for Consequences

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Today, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has announced that he will bear all consequences of his decision to sack Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara from his post as the deputy prime minister. This decision led to Parnpree stepping down as the foreign minister.

"I apologized to Parnpree through a Line chat, expressing regret if my decision has caused him distress," the Prime Minister reported to the press. He highlighted that he respects Parnpree's choice to quit and stressed that he has known Parnpree for a long time and there are no personal issues between them.

Thavisin explained that getting upset with changes in the cabinet is not unusual. He justified his decision, stating that it was driven by the nation's best interest. Currently, he is in the process of deciding who will be the country's next foreign minister, indicating that the candidate would be a long-time affiliate of the Pheu Thai party.

Following the announcement of the cabinet adjustment in the Royal Gazette, Parnpree confirmed that he was resigning as the foreign minister. Although he was relieved of his role as the deputy prime minister, he would still have held onto his foreign ministry post.

As a significant member of the ruling Pheu Thai party for a long time, Parnpree stated that his resignation was based on "principles". He submitted a two-page resignation letter to Thavisin, but did not elaborate on his reasons.

In an interview, Parnpree expressed his idea that stripping him of the deputy prime minister post affected his reliability, notably at a global level. He voiced confidence that his prior performance in office had nothing to do with his dismissal.

Parnpree indicated that he is completely dedicated to serving the country and expressed hope that the cabinet rearrangement would result in a more open and favorable government.

Some political analysts highlighted Parnpree’s reference to his home in Soi Rachakru, also the old residence of ex-Prime Minister Chatichai Choonhavan. They believe Parnpree was reminding people of his close relationship with Chatichai, strengthened by Parnpree's marriage to one of Chatichai's granddaughters. Analysts believe his resignation may have undermined the Thavisin administration's credibility.

The Pheu Thai party's secretary general, Sorawong Thienthong, commented that Parnpree might be offered an advisory role but clarified that the decision to accept would be up to Parnpree.

As the foreign minister, Parnpree had been the face of Thailand and the government on the international stage.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

His work (or lack thereof) with Burma has been a demonstration of the moral bankruptcy of this administration. Good riddens. He accomplished very little. He will likely be replaced by another BOB (bottom of the barrel) selection. 

• Agree 1

Now you see him, now you don't!

How can you run a country like that; it is the name card of the country and should be managed by the best possible candidate, irrespective of political alliance. 

But there is hope, in 2027 latest the total reshuffling of (old) cards will happen; lets see

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

When quizzed about the validity of the two-page letter addressed to the Prime Minister, he confirmed it, saying it was "more than real".

Call me slow but I need someone to explain this.