Teachers Salary ?

Hello I'm gere in Thailand noew 7 Month and in the Village where I live , they offered me a job as an Englishteacher. I read enough about all the qualifications and that's not the problem. But i heard many different meanings about the monthly salery and i wouldt like to know now where i can find proper infos. Is there any min. wage e.x. 45000 or 50000 Bt/Month because these is what i heard?

Thanks

let me put things straight - although English is not my first language:

salary

info

(not to mention spelling mistakes - which for a teacher of language are a no no as well)

as it's a village do count for 20-25k rather than 50k (which would be an exceptional salary for the teacher of your skills)

Most small villages who cannot even afford to hire a native speaker (who spoke English before going to kindergarten), might have 20,000 salary, 9 or 10 months per year. No benefits probably; no work permit, no visa extension as a teacher, etc., illegal. If you tink you dont knead to sprach Engrich fruently, go for it.

Sir, anywhere on ThaiVisa except the teaching forum, to anybody except someone enquiring about teaching English, your lack of skills in English would be no problem at all. However, here and in this context, we have to point out that your apparent command of English is inadequate.

Hello I'm gere in Thailand noew 7 Month and in the Village where I live , they offered me a job as an Englishteacher. I read enough about all the qualifications and that's not the problem. But i heard many different meanings about the monthly salery and i wouldt like to know now where i can find proper infos. Is there any min. wage e.x. 45000 or 50000 Bt/Month because these is what i heard?

Thanks

Looks like the standards will be rising in that area. :o

Thanks

You're a funny guy.

Most small villages who cannot even afford to hire a native speaker (who spoke English before going to kindergarten), might have 20,000 salary, 9 or 10 months per year. No benefits probably; no work permit, no visa extension as a teacher, etc., illegal. If you tink you dont knead to sprach Engrich fruently, go for it.

Sir, anywhere on ThaiVisa except the teaching forum, to anybody except someone enquiring about teaching English, your lack of skills in English would be no problem at all. However, here and in this context, we have to point out that your apparent command of English is inadequate.

PB..look at his name..Bushmill..mmm..coincidence?

50,000 baht is pretty high- With both a recognized USA Master's Degree and Bachelor's Degree in Education and several decades of teaching experience, I am only making 50,000 BHT outside Bangkok in a village/ suburb, and I have spoken English my entire life. I know some schools or jobs may pay more, and I would be curious where.

To English speakers and writers, the OP may well be a laughing stock because of his English writing and grammar skills.

HOWEVER, in my honest opinion, that does not necessarily disqualify him from "teaching" English to villagers whose English skills are a lot worse than his.

It's better than nothing.

In order to teach elementary math, you need only an elementary math teacher, not a calculus professor.

On the battlefield, you may prefer an emergency doctor/surgeon, but a medic is still better than nothing.

The OP may not be able to teach them how to correctly spell "salary", nor be able to teach them how to construct a full sentence with perfect usage.

But even if his village students are eventually made able to effectively COMMUNICATE with simple "I go city Bangkok tomorrow" types of sentences, then at least they can COMMUNICATE even if they may flunk TOEFL tests or whatever. As a foreigner, I'd still be able to communicate with people speaking this type of English than with villagers speaking some dialect. This may also help these villagers get jobs in the future which require mere English COMMUNICATION rather than English perfection (i.e. shop lady).

My advise to the O.P., go for it. Get the job!

Now as to salary... Sorry, but 50,000 is "a little" bit too much to ask for your level of English. Maybe 15,000-20,000 would be okay if you're a white, or 8,000-12,000 if you're a non-white.

(I know that sounds racist and I agree that it is... but that's the reality here in Thailand. If I allow my idealistic self to say that a person should fight for "white-salary" even if he's non-white, then he'll probably get rejected and so I wouldn't be doing him a favor and would probably be endangering his livelihood as well.)

To the other posters:

Do you think the opening post is for real? Or do you think it was posted as a practical joke to make us all laugh? I checked out the OPs other posts and I see some consistency in his writing style, so I have reason to believe that this post is authentic.

Edited by junkofdavid2

vee tchermanns kann teech der english langvich vizzout shpeaking it fluently. bot vee vill not reveal ze sekret how vee do it!

:o

Well if the op has the English skills to spell qualifications while mis spelling would, using info. and using these instead of this, I would tend to suspect anything and everything else that he or she would post.

Thanks

RAUS KLAUS :o

vee tchermanns kann teech der english langvich vizzout shpeaking it fluently. bot vee vill not reveal ze sekret how vee do it!

:o

As the German clockmaker said to the clock ... " We will make you tok "

To answer the questions of the OP or troll, yes with your degree you can get a teaching job in Thailand. It seems like the MOE and Thai employers don't really care about ability, so, although your English ability is very weak, it won't mater as long as you have a few peices of paper to compensate for this and your impress them with your looks, dress and smile. When you can provide all sorts of fancy doccuments most Thai people will say "although this guy doesn't speak English too well, he must be smart because of his has a degree" so realistically in Thailand, you will find work and you are exactaly the type of candidate the MOE want teaching in Thailand, but no way will you earn close to 50K pm. In the sticks most people and make between 20-30K pm.

However, since your English sucks and you seem to be concerned about earning a high salary, I get the impression that you are not interested in Teaching, you are just out to make a few esay baht. If you don't become a teacher you would be doing Thailand a favor, as much as the Thais wouldn't realise this, you would be. So just stay home and improve you English before you try to teach something you are not fluent in.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

But aussiestyle, he's only posted once in this thread, and he duznt saiy hee haz a degree. He dzunt saye he has a TEFL certification; only that he thinks the qualifications are no problem (perhaps the village is so desperate they don't care). Maybe he could pay the school to let him teach....

In some moobahns in the sticks, anybody might possibly could teach English, even an illiterate Thai who dropped out of prathom school. Anything is possible.

I don't buy into the thinking that even bad English teaching is better than none.

At some point in the future, some of the students taught incorrectly by an unqualified English teacher may actually enter a formal academic program and want or have to improve their English. At that point, a professional teacher is then confronted with having to help the student "unlearn" all of the bad English grammar, pronunciation and other aspects of effective English communication previously taught incorrectly by unqualified English teachers.

Having been there and done that several times, it's much more work for both the student and the teacher. Usually, such students lag far behind the students who learned or are learning it correctly from the start and do not have to go through the "unlearning" process.

Solamente mis dos bahtos. :o

What's wrong with the name. My friend owns two ricemills in the jungle and we call them our bushmills. That's all. Think before you started jugdements.

Hello, it's me again. Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, i'm aware of all the misspelling but i don't care.

I think that there are some missunderstandings and i like to make it more understandable .

First of all, i never told the people that i'm a native english speaker and i think that our villagepeople understand .

We made an agreement that i try yo teach the children there only in very basic english and most of it in conversation. The payment is in total 1500 Baht/month because i don't want the money but the director will not get lessons for free.

My question wasn't how much i can earn. I asked what is the real salary for foreign teachers.

Is there any written law in Thailand which says that foreign teachers can't earn less then 50000 Baht/month.

The reason why i asked , because i heard many arguments about the salary. I'm aware about the situation , that most of the schools can't afford to pay the salary which they supposed to pay than.

The question was and is not answered yet.

Thanks

RAUS KLAUS :o

Maybe that's the last question i can make but i have to ask you:

I would like to know had you in the past a problem with Germans or you simply dislike them? I think that at the BBQ-Party in Surin are some Germans.

That I'm a native german speaker dosn't mean i am a german.

No, there is not a minimum salary for English teachers in Thailand.

There aren't minimum wages, in a manner of speaking, for foreign teachers. However, there is minimum income necessary to receive a work permit and technically you can't work as a teacher without a work permit. I don't know the specific amount, as it's different depending on the field of work and nationality of the foreigner, though it is probably somewhere between 30k and 60k. Work permits can be issued to volunteers also, without the minimum income requirement. The volunteer can then still be given a "living allowance." That's how I understand things anyway.

What's wrong with the name. My friend owns two ricemills in the jungle and we call them our bushmills. That's all. Think before you started jugdements.

Nothing is wrong with your name Bushmill. I thought your post was a joke...my appologies..good luck, sounds like a fun job.

Many teachers, including me, think the minimum salary does not apply to teachers. Also, I get confused as to whether the minimum salaries (which depend on nationality of the alien) apply to the visa extension, or the work permit.

bushmill, thanks for clarifying several things, including your main interest in whether there was a minimum salary in Thailand for teachers. No, there isn't. I've known several full time Chinese and Japanese nationals who taught for less than 10,000 per month, and one supposedly even got a work permit somehow. Many foreign teachers who earn 25K and 30K never get work permits.

You are to be commended for offerring your services almost for free. Congratulations on your generosity. Of course, I hope you realize that you MUST get a work permit, even if you taught English voluntarily, and that the Ministries of Labour and Education may ask for all kinds of weird paperwork and requirements. They asked a teacher from Ireland to take an English test!

If you have some visa that allows you to stay in Thailand then a lot of what is being told to you is irrelevant. Technically, you do need a WP and to get that you would have to take a language proficiency test because you aren't a native English speaker (or come from a country where English is the native language).

We have a number of European teachers (not English teachers) who are subject teachers and they had have language proficiency tests.

Best of luck to you.

There are minimum salary requirements for companies/institutions to apply for work permits for foreigners to work in Thailand- something like 50,000B a month for most countries, and (bizarrely) 60,000B a month for Americans. However, as PB says, it is the general understanding that even legally this does not apply to teachers. Even if there are some sort of minimum requirements on the books for teachers, I highly doubt they officially cover the case of Germans teaching English. And for the locale and the scale of work you're talking about (village teaching to complete beginners) your level will be fine and I agree with the others who say go for it.

For English teaching at the university level, the official monthly salary is something like 27,500B a month, but this is for very few hours and plenty of opportunities to do extra work on the side.

I will edit spelling in the title of this thread to save face for the Teacher's section... :o:D

"Steven"

No, there is not a minimum salary for English teachers in Thailand.

Actually, there are minimum wage requirements for foreign nationals working in Thailand, but fortunately for Thai businesses/schools they don't seem to be adhered to.

From the "Discovery-Trade" website:

Minimum salary requirements were updated in 2004 by the Ministry of Labour and are:

United States, Canada, Japan -- 60,000 baht/month

Europe, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand -- 50,000 baht/month

Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea -- 45,000 baht/month

India, Malaysia, Middle East -- 45,000 baht/month

China, Philippines, Indonesia -- 35,000 baht/month

Africa, Lao PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam -- 25,000 baht/month

Journalists working for Thailand newspapers -- 20,000 baht/month

Edited by pattyboy

it is funnt how they say native english, i heared some english, that is not english, whether it comes from england, scotland, the beloved southern states, scots and irish are do not know what they are, and i am talking about the english irish.

common guys i bet in my english i speak more clearly than some native speakers.

i think this is a bogus bogus thing to pay native english speakers more than non, i was in an american school for till my high school did my IGCSE then went to florida, beside my bad spelling i speak better than a native.

and it is fnuny how the mnid wkros that if the fsirt lteter and lsat ltteer are weher tehy shuplod be you sitll udresntasnd

haaa???

We already have one *current* thread running on the subject of what constitutes a native speaker; those who are interested should seek out that most current thread and post on it. I believe OP's question has been thoroughly answered, and this thread has served its purpose.