"stranger Danger" Over The Internet

November Rain

I'm a member of 3 Thai based forums & post regularly on 2 of those. I'm always quite open & honest about my life & experiences, especially if my experiences can answer a question for someone.

On the other forum (a local one) through various of my posts, it would be easy to find out my name (at least my first name), where I work & a lot of the details of my everyday life, including the fact that I have a little boy. Through answering questions for others, there was also at least one post saying my son's school (it has now changed). I have never used his name (real or nickname) or his father's name on the forum, though I have in pm's to people I trust (nickname only).

We had a kids' party through that forum a while ago & the photos were posted. Although I let his photo stay, I would not let him be identified (a course that many of the parents took). It suddenly hit me, that I had (inadvertently) made it very easy for someone to locate my boy - maybe at school and that thought terrified me (by "someone", I mean someone who preys on children).

I've noticed that on TV, some members have their children's photos as their avatars. Hopefully, they haven't been as open as me about their lives, but does anyone think that might be a danger, or am I just paranoid? Has the thought occurred to anyone else?

I'm a member of 3 Thai based forums & post regularly on 2 of those. I'm always quite open & honest about my life & experiences, especially if my experiences can answer a question for someone.

On the other forum (a local one) through various of my posts, it would be easy to find out my name (at least my first name), where I work & a lot of the details of my everyday life, including the fact that I have a little boy. Through answering questions for others, there was also at least one post saying my son's school (it has now changed). I have never used his name (real or nickname) or his father's name on the forum, though I have in pm's to people I trust (nickname only).

We had a kids' party through that forum a while ago & the photos were posted. Although I let his photo stay, I would not let him be identified (a course that many of the parents took). It suddenly hit me, that I had (inadvertently) made it very easy for someone to locate my boy - maybe at school and that thought terrified me (by "someone", I mean someone who preys on children).

I've noticed that on TV, some members have their children's photos as their avatars. Hopefully, they haven't been as open as me about their lives, but does anyone think that might be a danger, or am I just paranoid? Has the thought occurred to anyone else?

NR you give out so much personal information i could find you in about 15 minutes if i wanted too.

i could summarize what i know about you, but fear it would only make you uncomfortable.

btw no malice meant by this simply stating the truth as i see it.

generally speaking though using your kids photo as an avatar likely isnt risky if you are careful with your other details

ts

Edited by t.s

I wouldn't see that much of a problem - you are in control what and where you say. If you said too much you can run through your posts and modify/delete them or ask a moderator to do it for you (in case of TV).

A different matter would your kid going on the net and saying things he should not say