Visa For Thai G/f To Visit Ireland

I hope someone can help and give me some good advice and/or direction!

I lived and worked in Thailand for almost 6 years and 5 of them I was with my Thai g/f. She has visited Ireland about 5 times with me just for holidays.

I am back in Ireland since March (seem to have missed the Celtic Tiger - i can just see its tail running away from my grasp!!).

Anyway, my gf didnt come with me at the time cause we were building a house in Isaan and she had to finish her studies and I wanted to get set up working in Ireland before she came over.

THats all sorted now so I am trying to plan for her to come over here in October.

However, I want her to stay here for as long as she can - 3 months is too little. Ideally a year visa is what I am looking for.

So what visa can I get her? I understand that the tourist visa is only for 3 months but can this be extended if and when she gets a job? Can she just upgrade the visa to a working visa?

Is there a possibility of coming over on a student visa? How long is this visa valid for?

She worked as a waitress in Bangkok and we ran our own restaurant for a while too. So is it possible that she could get a visa to come working as a waitress?

She also has a diploma in child-care and loads of my mates would be willing to employ her as their nanny. Is this another possibility?

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Iknow little of the specifics of Irish immigration law, but one thing that jumps out is the duration of your relationship. Do the Irish recognise unmarried partnerships? If so, as you have been together for five years, it is possible your girlfriend could qualify for permission to stay in Ireland on such grounds. However, I'd double-check with the Ministry of Justice first.

Scouse.

Appleman - I do not think your g/f can work legitimately on a tourist visa but you should have a look at the ministry of foreign affairs website for further info. Dept Foreign Affairs - Ireland I think it is best to deal with someone there directly to assess your particular situation.

How about applying for a work permit in the first instance? If you or a friend that has a business can make her an offer of employment. I think the key issue is that she will not be a burden on the state so she must have sufficient funds to maintain her stay there. Just a thought!

Best of luck,

Slan.

Hi Appleman,

Your easiest option would be to get married!

After that a work permit is the next best option. You will have to show that you have a genuine job available and that you have tried to fill that position first from within Ireland and then from inside Europe. If you can not fill the position after advertising it for 3 months within Europe then you can look outside Europe. It will cost you about €1000 to apply for the work permit. When renewal time comes up you will have to show that she is working in Ireland that she is in the Tax system and that she has been paid the proper rate for her work and certainly not less than the minimum wage.(€8.65/hour).

The student visa is hard to get if she is not a genuine student. She will have to enrol and attend a recognised school and do a minimum amount of class hours each week.

They can refuse this visa if they think she is not a genuine student.

Like most Irish visas she will have to apply for it from her home country so coming on a holiday visa and then looking to change it to a work visa is usually not acceptable.

Previously the position adopted by the Dept of Justice was not a flexible one. This may have changed now that we have a new Minister for Justice because it is his attitude and instructions to his staff that determines whether or not you get the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck and if you find a way of getting a long term visa easily please let us know.

Regards,

Foggy Dew.

Just a footnote.

Any Visa to UK can gain entry to Eira under Anglo Irish Agreement, circa 1985. Re-entry is under same rules. She can actually travel (as you can) with any photo ID, rather than passport. Some ferry companies don't even need this, but it is advisable.

Edited by captainstabbin

Whilst the UK and Ireland are both part of the Common Travel Area and, as such, when travelling between the two countries you may not see an immigration officer, it doesn't preclude those who need visas from having them. UK visas are not good for entry to Ireland, and vice versa.

Scouse.

Thanks for all the advice.

She is going to visit the Thai consulate in Bangkok and ask them for advice.

THe idea that she may be entitled to a long term visa based on the length of our relationship is an interesting point and something i will follow up!

Sure, getting married would make things easier but i aint gonna do that just to please some fella with a rubber stamp at a border!

I am going to try and get as much info as I can about the working visa - that seems to be the best way for her to stay here long term. I am still not sure if she can change her visa to a working visa if she comes in first on a tourist visa. This is something that I need to find out.

Its funny really, this weekend I saw crazy amounts of foreigners (indians, chinese, eastern european) working in all types of service jobs - some of them with crap english - how the hel_l did they all get visas? It really must be easy cause Dunnes, Tesco, Penneys, McDonalds and all bars and restaurants are full of them! THere isnt an Irish person to be seen!

Maybe it will end up to be really easy to get my gf in? Time will tell!

I've just done a bit of digging around and have come up with this document from the Immigrant Council of Ireland. This seems to indicate that Ireland does not recognise unmarried partnerships:-

Irish nationals do not have the right to be joined by their (unmarried) partner even if the relationship is a long-term one.

but double-check with the Irish consulate in case things have changed.

Scouse.

Its funny really, this weekend I saw crazy amounts of foreigners (indians, chinese, eastern european) working in all types of service jobs - some of them with crap english - how the hel_l did they all get visas? It really must be easy cause Dunnes, Tesco, Penneys, McDonalds and all bars and restaurants are full of them! THere isnt an Irish person to be seen!

When my ex was refused 3 years ago these were my exact sentiments. If you go to O'Neills sports factory outlet EVERY worker there is Filipino. And every Macker's is like a UN convention. Fair play and best of luck to them but I wonder how they do it. Do O'Neills, Irish Ferries (remember the case where they were paying the Filipinos €1 per hour) and the other places genuinely try recruiting at home first then go on a mission to Manila?

It is a bit crazy really. I went back to Ireland for two months a while back to do some work. I work as a registered nurse and so get to work with many Fillipinos and Indians nurses. I think they are great workers and I had no problem with their English. the one thing that I found really crazy was that they are allowed to bring their husbands to Ireland no problem. If I wanted to bring my wife it would be a major hassle. I think it is a bit mad that people who are non-nationals can bring their spouse to Ireland easily but nationals can't, especially since they are crying out for nurses Luckily I have no wish to live in Ireland and neither does my wife.

Just a footnote.

Any Visa to UK can gain entry to Eira under Anglo Irish Agreement, circa 1985. Re-entry is under same rules. She can actually travel (as you can) with any photo ID, rather than passport. Some ferry companies don't even need this, but it is advisable.

I beg to differ, last year my Thai wife was with me in UK, we flew to Dublin and the immigration man asked her where her visa was, and I stepped in and also said I did not think she needed one, but she DID. Luckily we had return plane tickets to London for the Sunday night of that weekend so he gave her a stamp that said allowed in but don't even think about trying it again!

Hi All,

Re ease of travel between Ireland and the UK. This is, as was already stated for Irish and UK citizens, not their spouses. Strictly speaking if I fly with my Thai wife (who has a multi-entry visa for Ireland) from Bangkok to Dublin via London Heathrow she is supposed to have a transit visa for the UK even though we are only stopped in Heathrow for a few hours. I have been asked for this on one occasion.

Yes the service, catering/ hospitality and construction industries are high employers of foreign nationals. The vast majority of these workers are from Eastern Europe, in an extended European Union now 27 countries with free movement of workers into Ireland sure we are going to have many coming here for work especially since we have a minimum wage agreement.

The health service would collapse if we did not employ Filipinos their qualifications meet the standards and are recognized by the Irish system. Originally they were not allowed bring their spouses and the hospitals had difficulty in recruiting and keeping them so the government had to make concessions. The health service is still very short of nurses and it is not difficult for a nurse if suitably qualified to get work and a visa here.

Most of the Chinese working in McDonalds etc are genuine students working to help pay for the expense of living in Ireland.

If someone is genuinely married and can show a relationship history then there is no problem in getting a spouse visa. However there have been many marriages of convenience in the past especially from Nigeria with Irish nationals ( €2500 going rate) so the state is skeptical of someone who goes on holiday falls in love, marries and applies for a visa all in two weeks. Appleman I know this is not your situation. Buy the way the state does not accept an “online” relationship as a long term relationship.

Re long term partners things may be changing in this regard. Long term partners now have some rights in court when there is a separation and assets are involved. But I think it will take a while for this to impact on immigration officials.

I hope this clarifies some of the apparent contradictions in the system.

Regards,

Foggy Dew

Sorry Foggy Dew, I agree the Irish health system would fall apart without the Fillipino/Indian Nurses but don't you think that it is unfair that an equally qualified Irish nurse needs to jump through so many hoops to bring their wife to Ireland. Does Ireland no longer need Irish nurses?

Sorry Foggy Dew, I agree the Irish health system would fall apart without the Fillipino/Indian Nurses but don't you think that it is unfair that an equally qualified Irish nurse needs to jump through so many hoops to bring their wife to Ireland. Does Ireland no longer need Irish nurses?

As an outsider, I sympathise with you and agree with your comments entirely.

My Thai wife and I married in BKK registry office and brought marriage cert. to irish Consulate. We had to show proof of long term relationship - my Thai visas and my wifes previouse visit to Ireland on Tourist visa. We got visa after being messed about a bit. Others who were in short term relationships and had got married were refused visas. I would be tempted to ask for a long stay visa based on your relationship.

Lots of non Europeans working in Ireland are brought in by agencies supplying hotel staff etc.

There are many Thais in Limerick who came on Tourist visas many yeras ago and then got jobs and dissapeared from authorities. This unfortunately doesn't help others get into the country.

Like most Irish visas she will have to apply for it from her home country

Foggy,

Sorry to be a pedant, but do you mean country of residence and not home country?

Just a footnote.

Any Visa to UK can gain entry to Eira under Anglo Irish Agreement, circa 1985. Re-entry is under same rules. She can actually travel (as you can) with any photo ID, rather than passport.

This has already been cleared up but just to reiterate, with a UK visa you will still require a Visa for the Republic of Ireland, even if you are an Irish National and she has a UK visa, the difference being it will be free of charge, but you still have to go through the rigmarole of going through the process.

Moss

OK - well she called into the Irish Consulate in Bangkok.

They basically told her to get all her information on the website. www.irelandinthailand.com

Every question she asked they just repeated "please check out the website".

They wouldnt give her advice on student visa, working visa, long term visa, tourist visa or anything at all.

So sometime this week I am going to call into all the places that are packed with Filipinos, Indians etc and ask them a direct question as to how they got in! I reckon a few of them will make a run for it - thinking that I am an immigration official!!! But it will be interesting to see what they say!

It would appear from other research that if she wants a student visa she will require a letter from a college confirming her placement and also a receipt proving that the fees have already been paid.

If she wants to come in on a work visa she will require a work permit and this means some Irish company confirming an offer of employment together with proof that there was no Irish person suitable for the job.

The long-term relationship visa doesnt seem to be on the list but its something that I will have to follow up further myself. Im thinking that if we apply for a tourist visa that they may extend this past the 3 months.?!??!?

Is there such a thing as a fiancee visa for Ireland? Maybe that would help!? We wouldnt actually have to get married - but it may get us over the visa hurdle!?!?

Ring the Embassy in Ireland if you are getting no joy.

They have proved to be most amenable and easy to speak to in the past when I have tried.

Moss

The time there open is between 9-12.30 only for taking calls

You have unfortunately an uphill battle here Apple Thai.

The student visa is the only way to go.

I tried the employment route and I am an employer got job flagged by FAS Sent all docks off with cheque got a reply after 4 weeks politely saying

That because of the enlargement of the EU there was not a hope unless she had medical qualifications.

The student visa route is possible but will cost you €2400 for 26 weeks from an accreted school. Or CIT or limerick institute of tech or Bolton st.

Again the student visa or marry her.

And if I could marry my GF I would now but have to wait.

Better to get her into one of the collages as a mature student.

You have unfortunately an uphill battle here Apple Thai.

The student visa is the only way to go.

Edited by Bizz

Hi All,

I tried the student visa route for my TG after she had been here on a three month holiday visa. I paid the school fee (refundable) and submitted all the required docs’. She got refused, after ALOT of phone calls and any political influence I could bring to the situation. The upshot was they did not believe she was a genuine student because of our relationship and her previous visit to Ireland with me a her “ sponsor” . I was informed that the student was very difficult to get.

I know the owner of my local Chinese and asked him about work visas for non EU citizens, he can get work visas because he cannot find any EU citizen who is qualified to cook Chinese food!

My local college in Athlone has a reciprocal agreement with some college in China regarding student exchange. No problem with visas for “genuine” students.

I can tell you it is NOT easy to get through to the Irish immigration office on the number in the allotted hours.

If you get a holiday visa it is possible to get a 1 month extension, that is 4 months total (this was the case, I do not know if this is still the situation)

For the work visa to have any chance she will have to have some skill and qualifications that cannot be found in the extended EU. I had dinner in your restaurant “Confusion” on one occasion, is your GF a chef, if so then Thai Chef’s are in demand and cannot be found easily in the EU.

Sorry I have not something more positive to say.

I have been through the holiday, student, and spouse visa route and over the period been refused 2 visas. Now I have a spouse visa for my wife, but I want to get a visa for a family member to come over here, so I am motivated to find a solution.

Regards

DeDanan.

Edited by DeDanan

They have proved to be most amenable and easy to speak to in the past when I have tried.
I can tell you it is NOT easy to get through to the Irish immigration office on the number in the allotted hours.

Hi DeDanan,

I can only speak as I find and on the several occasions I have tried, I found it quite easy.

Thanks

Moss

Moss

Which Embassy in Ireland? I dont get it - There is no Irish Embassy in Ireland and I doubt if the Thai embassy can help with a visa for Ireland?

Are you referring to the Immigration Bureau? Do you happen to have the phone number handy?

Moss

Which Embassy in Ireland? I dont get it - There is no Irish Embassy in Ireland and I doubt if the Thai embassy can help with a visa for Ireland?

Are you referring to the Immigration Bureau? Do you happen to have the phone number handy?

Yes I mean the service that administers visa's, it is not the first time I have made an error in terminology and I am sure it will not be the last.

I will try and find my paper work, but then don't hold your breath.

Moss

Moss

Yes I mean the service that administers visa's, it is not the first time I have made an error in terminology and I am sure it will not be the last.

I will try and find my paper work, but then don't hold your breath.

Moss

Visa Office

Line 1:

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service

Line 2:

13-14 Burgh Quay

Line 5:

Dublin 2

County:

Dublin

IRELAND

Opening Hours:

Mon, Wed, Fri 10.00 a.m. - 12.30 p.m.

Tel:

+ 353 (0)1 6167700

Locall:

1890 551 500

Homepage:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000015

Email:

[email protected]

Wheelchair Access:

Unknown

Moss

What I should have put was,

" Embassy of Ireland"

Passport and Visa Office

Montpellier House

106 Brompton Road

London

SW3 1JJ

020 7225 7700

020 7225 7778 Fax

www.dfa.ie

Because that was who I dealt with, Bizz has given you the numbers you require.

Moss

I beg to differ, last year my Thai wife was with me in UK, we flew to Dublin and the immigration man asked her where her visa was, and I stepped in and also said I did not think she needed one, but she DID. Luckily we had return plane tickets to London for the Sunday night of that weekend so he gave her a stamp that said allowed in but don't even think about trying it again!

Just like the friendly boys (and girls) in brown at Suwannabhumi, innit?!! :o

• 1 month later...
Thanks guys!

Appreciate it.

Let's hope it all goes smoothly and I am back on here in a few months saying how easy the whole process is/was!!!

Apply for a tourist visa,that will give her 3 months.

Then after 3 months goto the cop shop and it will be extended for another 3 month,

Done and dusted.

No need to get married.