what's happening with all of this 2nd verification requirments for Gmail and Facebook?

I'm using Win 11 on a Surface Pro 6. I am planning to do a back up and clean instal. but first, I thought I would check are my problems common, since they have only arisen within the past month or so. I have several gmail accounts - one private and the other for public use. I have selected 2 step verification for my private gmail account. But - I do not want it to automatically default to that system on my secondary accounts. What can I do? thanks. the 2nd issue, very recently, is to do with Facebook. Every lime i log on, i am asked for a 2 step verification, altho' that is a function that I did not select. in addition, when i go to Messenger, it requests me to sync my messages, by inputting a pass code (which displays boxes for 6 keystrokes. my PIN is 4 keystrokes, so how do i go about resetting the Messenger pass code?? would be very grateful for  advice re: this.

5 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

The world seems to be on a second verification requirement,

🙂 would you please send a 2nd verification for that, please.? I will give you a glimpse of the Road to Hell: my wife is 82. passport is from 2017. 2 part verification scanning software does not recognize her today, as the same face that had when she was 75. Seriously, her country of birth refuses to communicate with her other than by a digital mail app which uses this system. In the future - we. are. all. (deleted). 😉 

Ties your phone number which could easily be traced to your name, ID to your email accounts.

Many devices using bt now require location as well. Same rubbish.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:46 PM, BusNo8 said:

Ties your phone number which could easily be traced to your name, ID to your email accounts.

Not necessarily. Facebook and most others can use one of the authenticator apps, which work on most mobile devices, SIM card installed or not.

Multi factor authentication is a HUGE benefit.